Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How old were you when you 1st hit EXP (or equivalent)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How old were you when you 1st hit EXP (or equivalent)?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've had status and Admirals Club membership on AA since 1986, but shared status and flying with TWA and CO, and flew on numerous others since decades before that.

I consolidated most of my flying onto AA in 2001 and became EP soon after at age 58. (Just requalified the 23rd of December.) Definitely not the youngest, maybe the oldest?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Similar to Diver, seems like it was yesterday, I was 35. In 1983 a AA rep met me at the Admirals Club in 3A at DFW and handed me my Air Pass. He asked me how much I planned to travel and I told him around 4 r/t's per week plus our plant was right outside Munich so maybe a trip there once a month; he said after proving myself I would be asked to become an Advantage Gold, only the top 1% were invited. I can't even remember what extra benefits I got, probably double miles, because the pass was good for F travel and club membership.

This thing was so cool, AA gave me blank ticket stock and an Air Pass card, I called a 800 number to make a reservation then wrote my own tickets, the GA's would run my card through on an old manual credit card machine keep a copy then give me a copy. Those were truly the good old days of travel. AA would constantly run fly x number of legs and get a r/t free - good for 3 months; imagine if Flyertalk was around I would be giving these things away, if my wife didn't feel like flying I ended up throwing most of them away.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since I used to sleep with UA, I hit 1K when I was 22 (I was Premier and Premier Exec since I was 16 or 17, thank you very much divorced parents).

I also hit 1MM on UA when I was 32 -- and that was on real UA where those are BIS miles (similar to the AA program of the moment).

These days, I look at Gold being a greater achievement than EXP...since that means less flying!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 2:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Since I used to sleep with UA, I hit 1K when I was 22 (I was Premier and Premier Exec since I was 16 or 17, thank you very much divorced parents).

I also hit 1MM on UA when I was 32 -- and that was on real UA where those are BIS miles (similar to the AA program of the moment).

These days, I look at Gold being a greater achievement than EXP...since that means less flying!
That's certainly achievable, but depending on other circumstances maybe not so great.

At least for me the day is coming I'll revert to my "cushion" of lifetime Platinum.

I only wish there had been FFPs when I began flying!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
21 - Just started a business and flew a ton of DFW-DEN flights, At one point I was averaging 2RT per week, but I somewhat cheated with a Plat Challenge
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
And here I thought I was one of the younger ones here! I'm not there yet as I'm in the "long track" education line... But I'm hoping this is the year I finally break through as I have a long haul trip in April in J to get me quite a bit of EQM!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
21 - Just started a business and flew a ton of DFW-DEN flights, At one point I was averaging 2RT per week, but I somewhat cheated with a Plat Challenge

How did the Platinum Challenge constitute "cheating" on the way toward Executive Platinum?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
I was 23, started a new job in June that year and had EXP by September which I was pretty happy with
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
25 (as US chairman) due to frequent work travel. It's obviously a lot of fun to clear upgrade lists before people my parents age do. The other perks are awesome.
Downside: I live at the airport. I want to hit a million miles and then call it a day. No offense to anyone here but the thought of flying this much for the rest of my life is very unpalatable.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
24 - I've been off and on with status at AA. I'm trending into the off category, at least until it becomes valuable again.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
24 - I've been off and on with status at AA. I'm trending into the off category, at least until it becomes valuable again.
I thought you were one of the UA defectors from the 2012 status giveaway/minimal challenge bonanza (which at the time was unprecedented, at least for anyone going outside a special request from AA sales or executive offices)
Old Dec 27, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Parzival
I've seen kids with EXP!
My son first hit EXP when he was 5 years old; 5 years later, my daughter hit EXP when she became 3 years old.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
I thought you were one of the UA defectors from the 2012 status giveaway/minimal challenge bonanza (which at the time was unprecedented, at least for anyone going outside a special request from AA sales or executive offices)
That was my most recent stint at loyalty to AA, actually defected from DL. Never been a big UA flier, though I have explored them more this year. Not really finding much value in status though. I'd rather just buy what I want, when I want. It's all about seizing opportunities IMO.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_2_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13D11 Safari/601.1)

The first year I earned EXP status, I was 23 and in grad school. I remember vividly how excited I was the day my qualifying flight activity posted!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Delta Executive Partner (secret status above Platinum before Diamond came out): 24
Us Airways Chairman: 27
AA Concierge Key: 31

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.