Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources thru 2019

Old Dec 26, 15, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive of older posts from the OSO thread; for the current thread see

AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources thru 2019

Old Aug 15, 15, 5:16 pm
  #76  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,953
Huge eastern seaboard FAA ERAM computer meltdown at Leesburg, Virginia - affected DCA/IAD and NYC airports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33950381
JDiver is offline  
Old Aug 16, 15, 7:37 pm
  #77  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold
Posts: 178
ORD a mess tonight

And it is not due to weather. Plane with mechanical issues in alley between H and K concourses. No planes at these gates can leave and no arrivals can pull in. Been sitting on a flight waiting for 30 minutes to pull in to gate. No estimate when this will be resolved.
chiil1974 is offline  
Old Aug 27, 15, 1:14 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Posts: 7,079
IRROPS courtesy of a hurricane

So my boss is in charge of a conference down in Jacksonville starting on Tuesday. With our friend - Tropical Storm Erika - bearing down on the Eastern Caribbean and then the Bahamas and possibly Florida (including Jacksonville, Miami, and Charleston), how does AA treat rebooking of tickets in this situation?

I know AA and US offer "flexibility" in circumstances but that usually means moving a trip by two or three days.

In this case, we would be rescheduling our conference for two weeks later.

However, my understanding is that the "flexibility" pertains only to the change fee and not for any differences in fares.

Is it just easier to wait for them the cancel the flight to give me the flexibility to rebook or??
IADCAflyer is offline  
Old Aug 27, 15, 1:26 pm
  #79  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,953
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
So my boss is in charge of a conference down in Jacksonville starting on Tuesday. With our friend - Tropical Storm Erika - bearing down on the Eastern Caribbean and then the Bahamas and possibly Florida (including Jacksonville, Miami, and Charleston), how does AA treat rebooking of tickets in this situation?

I know AA and US offer "flexibility" in circumstances but that usually means moving a trip by two or three days.

In this case, we would be rescheduling our conference for two weeks later.

However, my understanding is that the "flexibility" pertains only to the change fee and not for any differences in fares.

Is it just easier to wait for them the cancel the flight to give me the flexibility to rebook or??
That could be a problem, but think on.

First, keep track of AA's travel policy. Erika is in their policy now, though not affecting the U.S. mainland yet. But looking at it will tell you what to expect if Erika chooses to head up Florida or the Atlantic coast: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...avelAlerts.jsp

Also check the wiki for other resources that might be useful to you.
JDiver is offline  
Old Aug 31, 15, 9:43 am
  #80  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: BER
Programs: AA,BAEC silver
Posts: 77
Tropical storm Erika

Got a quick question.
Booked on AA.com a vacation in business/first for 4 of us to SXM for 9 days. All went well on way down but then encountered weather related cancelation for our flights back like everyone else in the affected leeward islands. original return was supposed to be 8/27 from SXM-CLT-SAN with an overnight in CLT.
We were informed that there was no availability until 8/29 via MIA back to SAN but two of us would have to be seated in the Main cabin.
Question is now does this qualify for a refund? Basically two of us sat in Business as booked but the other two sat in economy but paid for first/business.
AA reservations says we should get a refund but AA vacations agent doesn't think so. What to do? Also couldn't find the customer relations website to email request for partial refund.
snapplefan is offline  
Old Aug 31, 15, 9:56 am
  #81  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Posts: 403
Site to request a refund is https://www.aa.com/refunds but you may have to go through AA Vacations (basically a travel agent) if you booked through them.

I'd also suggest writing into them separately. Last week, I was on a canceled flight, was involuntarily downgraded on a new flight, ended up canceling the ticket w/ refund to rebook on another carrier to get me there sooner, and got 15k AA miles as an apology.
dungeonlurker is offline  
Old Oct 1, 15, 6:01 pm
  #82  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,126
Joaquin and NE airports / NYC

Has anyone heard anything about any proactive flight cancelations, relaxed change policies, etc., yet?

Scheduled to go through JFK this weekend, would like to avoid the mess if possible...

Thanks!
spongenotbob is offline  
Old Oct 1, 15, 6:11 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SAN
Programs: Lots of faux metal
Posts: 5,908
Originally Posted by spongenotbob View Post
Has anyone heard anything about any proactive flight cancelations, relaxed change policies, etc., yet?

Scheduled to go through JFK this weekend, would like to avoid the mess if possible...

Thanks!
skunker is offline  
Old Oct 1, 15, 8:11 pm
  #84  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: WAS, LAX
Programs: AS 100K
Posts: 1,325
Paging Weather IRROPs Gurus

Hey folks - question for those who are more experienced with this sort of thing than I... I'm flying with my girlfriend on two F award tickets CLT-ORD-NRT-SIN on Sunday morning 10/4. Of course, this happens to be right about when the center of Joaquin is expected to be 500 miles east of CLT. No hurricane, but tons of rain / flooding expected. Flight on US leaves at 9:35 am, leaving the connection to JL in ORD at 1h47m. Currently considering holding the early flight to ORD, but this is on AA metal, so strong possibility it won't even come in the night before if it gets bad.

The wrench in this process is that this is a vacation that turned into a business trip - I HAVE to be in SIN no later than Tuesday evening (10/6). Any suggestions? I've read that AA will occasionally rebook you on OAL's revenue tickets during bad IRROPs - anybody have experience with this? The heavy weather is currently expected to move on by Sunday night, so may have options on US or LH metal... is such a thing even possible for AAgents to book? If so, what's the best way of getting a competent agent? EXP desk? Go to the airport?

Thanks for your input!
FMLAX
flyingmusicianlax is offline  
Old Oct 1, 15, 8:24 pm
  #85  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 27,733
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax View Post
Hey folks - question for those who are more experienced with this sort of thing than I... I'm flying with my girlfriend on two F award tickets CLT-ORD-NRT-SIN on Sunday morning 10/4. Of course, this happens to be right about when the center of Joaquin is expected to be 500 miles east of CLT. No hurricane, but tons of rain / flooding expected. Flight on US leaves at 9:35 am, leaving the connection to JL in ORD at 1h47m. Currently considering holding the early flight to ORD, but this is on AA metal, so strong possibility it won't even come in the night before if it gets bad.

The wrench in this process is that this is a vacation that turned into a business trip - I HAVE to be in SIN no later than Tuesday evening (10/6). Any suggestions? I've read that AA will occasionally rebook you on OAL's revenue tickets during bad IRROPs - anybody have experience with this? The heavy weather is currently expected to move on by Sunday night, so may have options on US or LH metal... is such a thing even possible for AAgents to book? If so, what's the best way of getting a competent agent? EXP desk? Go to the airport?

Thanks for your input!
FMLAX
As far as in advance, the only reaccom they might do outside of AA/US is JL.
JonNYC is offline  
Old Oct 1, 15, 8:28 pm
  #86  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Posts: 26,062
Get to Chicago the night before, Saturday night ORD airport hotels are very reasonable most nights. Every flight Saturday afternoon and evening has award availability for two in the front cabin. You have 24 hours to make your connection to the international flight, so get out of CLT ASAP before the storm causes any issues. And change ASAP before AA announces any weather waivers, as they might zero out award availability when they do that in order to accommodate as many people as possible. Call now!
TheBOSman is offline  
Old Oct 1, 15, 8:34 pm
  #87  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: WAS, LAX
Programs: AS 100K
Posts: 1,325
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
As far as in advance, the only reaccom they might do outside of AA/US is JL.
Thanks, Jon

I should have been more specific: I'm not so concerned about what to do in advance, but what to ask for on Sunday in the event we get pretty delayed.

Last edited by flyingmusicianlax; Oct 1, 15 at 8:44 pm
flyingmusicianlax is offline  
Old Oct 1, 15, 8:35 pm
  #88  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: WAS, LAX
Programs: AS 100K
Posts: 1,325
Originally Posted by TheBOSman View Post
Get to Chicago the night before, Saturday night ORD airport hotels are very reasonable most nights. Every flight Saturday afternoon and evening has award availability for two in the front cabin. You have 24 hours to make your connection to the international flight, so get out of CLT ASAP before the storm causes any issues. And change ASAP before AA announces any weather waivers, as they might zero out award availability when they do that in order to accommodate as many people as possible. Call now!
Would if I could - have to work until 10 pm the night before. Life of a musician. Thanks anyway!
flyingmusicianlax is offline  
Old Oct 1, 15, 8:43 pm
  #89  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Posts: 26,062
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax View Post
Would if I could - have to work until 10 pm the night before. Life of a musician. Thanks anyway!
Ouch .

My major concern would be that everything gets filled up quickly. From someone who flew the last flight out of LAX to the east coast before Hurricane Sandy, and watched an entire day's worth of LAX-JFK and IAD get cancelled while I planned ahead and had my confirmed boarding pass, I speak from experience . So, I guess it depends how much you HAVE to be in SIN Tuesday night, as compared to Saturday in CLT. I suggested switching as I called in advance to get myself switched to the last flight to the east coast, and actually got upgraded on it . Those who had not planned as much in advance were sadly stuck in LA for a good while.

I would probably say stick with what you have. I feel that by Sunday morning, either all the flights will operate or none of them will. I know it isn't the most enjoyable drive, but could you switch to GSP, or ATL if needed? I might consider switching to those on Saturday if flights into/out of CLT start to get bad.
TheBOSman is offline  
Old Oct 2, 15, 10:22 am
  #90  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Programs: AAdvantage PP
Posts: 13,913
Doesn't look like the storm is going to hit the East Coast but CLT is going to get wind and heavy rain. Operations at CLT will go on but be a mess. Doesn't look like there are going to be waivers for CLT so doubtful one can proactively switch to a flight the day before. Maybe if things are delayed day of travel might be able to switch (likely by standby) to an earlier flight to make an International connection.
MiamiAirport Formerly NY George is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread