Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources thru 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive of older posts from the OSO thread; for the current thread see

AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources thru 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I was on AA4674 DCA-JFK which was canceled. I was rebooked on AA2117 DCA-LGA, which gets in at 11:12pm. On a separate ticket, I am going JFK-HKG-AKL on CX845 to CX197. CX845 departs at 12:45 am, so I'm very concerned about being able to change airports in time.

Do I have any other options? Will AA get me to my final destination of AKL if I miss CX845? Would AA rebook me on an AA flight to HKG so I can catch CX197 or would that not work because they are separate tickets? The AC agents at DCA are sympathetic but don't seem to know any way to help other than rebooking me on DCA-LGA. Is that my only option? I thought AA still had protection on separate OW tickets.

edit to add: the incoming flight for AA2117, AA2153 is delayed 1hr15 so I don't expect to make the connection as booked.

Last edited by ssbmoro; Feb 28, 2017 at 6:03 pm
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Is there any DCA-EWR or DCA-BOS or DCA-YYZ flights open? I think those three have late night flights (145am ish) to HKG. Kinda a log shot asking AA to rebook you on those but might be worth a shot, unless missing a day is an option and flying to AKL via LAX is an option on AA metal.

EDIT: Can you get on AA4154 DCA-YYZ (in at 1144pm) and maybe see if AA will rebook you YYZ-HKG-AKL? That could connect to CX829 (1:20am-506am)

Last edited by BThumme; Feb 28, 2017 at 7:02 pm
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:39 pm

So I just had the most bizarre turn of good events... I asked the DCA AC to call the JFK AC, to see if they could speak with the CX agents since the CX hotline is closed. All I can say about the agent at JFK is "wow!" She got my information from the DCA AAngel and then asked to speak to me. In a thick Brooklyn accent, she told me I have nothing to worry about and she would watch my flight and make sure LGA gives me the fastest ride to JFK and is speaking with the CX agents to accommodate me tomorrow morning if I don't make it. I breathed a sigh of relief and went to have another scotch while I waited.

A few few minutes later, the DCA agent ran to get me. "Mr ssbmoro! AA104 is uncancelled!" "AA104? That was the 5:30pm! Uncancelled?" I gasped. "Welcome to the new American", she said, dripping with sarcasm.

So so now I have a seat in business direct to JFK that should get there on time. It feels like AA was incompetent for 3 hours and then hypercompetent for 10 minutes, like me at work procrastinating for a deadline.

I'm nowhere near my final destination but I feel like AA cares about getting me there now, and that is such a relief.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ssbmoro
So I just had the most bizarre turn of good events... I asked the DCA AC to call the JFK AC, to see if they could speak with the CX agents since the CX hotline is closed. All I can say about the agent at JFK is "wow!" She got my information from the DCA AAngel and then asked to speak to me. In a thick Brooklyn accent, she told me I have nothing to worry about and she would watch my flight and make sure LGA gives me the fastest ride to JFK and is speaking with the CX agents to accommodate me tomorrow morning if I don't make it. I breathed a sigh of relief and went to have another scotch while I waited.

A few few minutes later, the DCA agent ran to get me. "Mr ssbmoro! AA104 is uncancelled!" "AA104? That was the 5:30pm! Uncancelled?" I gasped. "Welcome to the new American", she said, dripping with sarcasm.

So so now I have a seat in business direct to JFK that should get there on time. It feels like AA was incompetent for 3 hours and then hypercompetent for 10 minutes, like me at work procrastinating for a deadline.

I'm nowhere near my final destination but I feel like AA cares about getting me there now, and that is such a relief.
That is a quite amazing turn of events. I hope that your revived good luck continues and that you have a good trip. Thanks for letting us know.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
My DEN-LAX-SFO was delayed (winds in Denver, but also some WX in other parts of AA world) and I called the irrops number to see about options, including endorsing me over to UA for a nonstop DEN-SFO.

"Well, we've already booked you DEN-PHX-SFO, Mr. DB, and first class on both legs - it's only a 29-minute later arrival at SFO." So I said sure, that sounds fine. Book me on that.

Literally five minutes after getting off the phone, the DEN-PHX segment went delayed by 90 minutes, breaking the PHX-SFO connection. Had to call back; this time, no good SFO finals until 9:30 PM, so I more urgently suggested interlining me. "OK, Mr. DB, but I have to call them. Hang on." Which I did, for about 10 minutes.

"You're all set - here's your locator number." I confirmed I could pull up the res on United, which said "ticketed," so thought all was OK.

Off to DEN/DIA and the UA counter. "See agent." "Mr. DB, AA only put the res in, they didn't ticket it. Go see AA." Trudge, trudge to the AA counter. Many people in the Priority line. Back to the phone. "Oh, I see, Mr. DB, they didn't un-check you in. Hold on. Five minutes; AA's live line for Priority moved two peeps in that time. "OK, Mr. DB, you're actually ticketed now."

Trudge, trudge back to UA. "See agent." "Hmm, Mr. DB, they didn't actually complete the transaction, so let me see - oh, yes, I can access it." Type, type. Boarding pass finally emerges.

The UA DEN-SFO flight ended up delayed about 90 minutes, but got me in to SFO about 6 PM, not a horrible delay. But man. The patience, teeth you have to pull, and forgiveness for AA errors that it takes.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Unfortunately, it's not unusual for an AA agent to say they have booked you on another airline, but fail to go through all the steps.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
It's very early and the forecast could change for better or for worse. If this turns into a true Nor'easter with high winds and a foot or more of snow, I expect hierarchy won't matter: basically nothing will operate.

That is a HUGE *if* at this point though.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
That A330 does a PHL-MCO-PHL turn, arriving back in PHL around 4:30pm, where it will then go across the pond. Today the plane is operating the PHL-MUC flight.

If anything, AA might cancel the PHL-MCO flight for fear of the return flight not being able to make it back to PHL. They will at least try to get most of the Europe bank off.

Of course, this is just mindless speculation on my part, which is all anyone around here will be able to do until the gravity of the storm is better known. If it's bad enough then everything will get cancelled...if your meeting is critical, I would do whatever I could to try and get out on Monday.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
I fly MCO PHL return a fair bit and occasionally on the nice 330. Typically it's down to MCO and back to make up some time prior to its evening international flight out of PHL. I think the issue would be more for the 330's evening international obligations (i.e. If there is a chance of it getting out of PHL due to weather)than the MCO round trips, but I'm not a weatherman.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA's practice is no different than other major carriers. In a major storm, it will fly its aircraft away from the affected stations. In other words, AA won't risk having a widebody stcuk for 2-3 days in a storm system, so this is not a question of whether the MCO or MUC flights go.

On the other hand, there is no suggestion as of yet that this is one of those situations and since there is no such suggestion, trying to figure that out is not even worth a second's thought.

The only solid thing to do is to leave Monday, but you say that you can't do that. So, barring a Monday departure, just hang in there and be ready to be flexible.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I've been told by PHL operations in the past that they DO prioritize the European flights getting out over everything else. Other than that, there is no other prioritization based on destination.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I just switched our flights from the 14th to the 12th to beat the blizzard to D.C. So thank you, AA, for issuing this advisory far enough in advance that we could actually reschedule a few things and take advantage of it. ^

But one minor question: why did AA charge me 20 cents per person to make my change? This is obviously not a real complaint: more of a curiosity than anything. Ticket was originally booked in December: did some tax change between now and then? Routing/segments stayed exactly the same.

I had to fish out a credit card and go through the whole payment page. Really wanted to click on that 6-month financing option just to see what would happen , but really didn't want more pages of web forms...
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I just switched our flights from the 14th to the 12th to beat the blizzard to D.C. So thank you, AA, for issuing this advisory far enough in advance that we could actually reschedule a few things and take advantage of it. ^

But one minor question: why did AA charge me 20 cents per person to make my change? This is obviously not a real complaint: more of a curiosity than anything. Ticket was originally booked in December: did some tax change between now and then? Routing/segments stayed exactly the same.

I had to fish out a credit card and go through the whole payment page. Really wanted to click on that 6-month financing option just to see what would happen , but really didn't want more pages of web forms...
Is it an international flight? I'm guessing a currency difference on some airport or foreign government charge.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: free agent
Argh, can someone tell AA to check on weather around DC area... Storms will hit DC area on Monday night, but AA only allow WX-related changes for people who fly on March 14-15 (cross my finger that AA will include March 13 asap!).
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:34 pm

I am scheduled to fly on an award ticket, JL3 (JFK-NRT), on March 14. Is there anything I can do at this point proactively? I see some availability on JL5 on March 13 but is there a chance it will not get ticketed in time since it is the weekend and so close to departure? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.