Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources thru 2019

Old Dec 26, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive of older posts from the OSO thread; for the current thread see

AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources thru 2019

Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The same as you. I just got home from DFW. The standby list for my small regional jet was a mile long, with many waiting since yesterday. And with the ramp shut down again this afternoon it didn't help.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by ddutil
if this is how Platinum customers on a paid first class ticket get treated, what do they do to the rest of the world?
If it's weather-related? The same thing.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:10 pm

I had a 90 minute delay or so but arrived in DFW with plenty of time to connect.
I'm missing what happened next. Was your original DFW->BHM cancelled or did something else happen?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP

I guess my question is, if this is how Platinum customers on a paid first class ticket get treated, what do they do to the rest of the world?
No need to think that you are special. They do this to EXPs also.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by muishkin
No need to think that you are special. They do this to EXPs also.
Glad to hear it. Suffering alone is the worst.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn
I'm missing what happened next. Was your original DFW->BHM cancelled or did something else happen?
Yes, original canceled, next one canceled and then it's been canceled about 7 times over 2 days. As far as I know it has never taken off, just rolling delays followed by cancellation. Surely they eventually let you go home from here.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by arlflyer
If it's weather-related? The same thing.
Not true. In Europe, regardless of reason for a delay, the airline is legally required to provide accommodation and meals - even AA will be required to accommodate for a delay ex EU and cannot just wipe its hands of passengers

In Australia, ime, with Qantas, it will provide hotels to impacted passengers unless they live at the affected city

In Asia, I have also received accommodation when delayed due to weather
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not true. In Europe, regardless of reason for a delay, the airline is required to provide accommodation and meals
Which is still "[t]he same thing" that non-elite and non-premium passengers get.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
Which is still "[t]he same thing" that non-elite passengers get.
Indeed - this is for ALL passengers regardless of status and/or pretty coloured cards - the response I was posting in relation to was indicative that it was global that airlines provide nothing when there is a weather related issue
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Hopefully you have a credit card that re-imburses you for these types of expenses!
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not true. In Europe, regardless of reason for a delay, the airline is legally required to provide accommodation and meals - even AA will be required to accommodate for a delay ex EU and cannot just wipe its hands of passengers

In Australia, ime, with Qantas, it will provide hotels to impacted passengers unless they live at the affected city

In Asia, I have also received accommodation when delayed due to weather
I'm pretty sure OP was asking how other people would be treated in the same situation, not halfway around the world where different regulations and/or corporate cultures are in play. OP made the thread pretty clearly specific to his experience in DFW through the inclusion of said airport in the thread title.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:43 pm

I misread it as what do they do in the rest of the world

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 13, 2016 at 7:02 pm
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I'm out $800 for two nights at the tired Hyatts (one night at each).
The walkup fare for WN out of DAL is $358 ($371 as Business Select). I would have probably done that by Day 2 of this nonsense and then worked out the service failure on the last segment with AA after I was home. Surprised that you can't get a better distressed traveler rate, either.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Well OP is on a ticket departing the EU, so he is covered by EC 261/2004. While the delay is weather-related and he thus not receive any compensation for that (EUR 600 otherwise), he is entitled to a "duty of care" from AA. If AA is not providing vouchers for his hotel and meals, OP should simply keep his receipts and submit them to AA for reimbursement after he does make it home. He will need to specify that this was as part of a departure from the EU.

As to the greater question of why he can't make it to BHM, that has nothing to do with AA or his status and everything to do with the weather. While it is a pain to be stranded, I am not sure what he wants AA to do about it. Once there are 200 people who have been stranded by weather, it is going to take a bit to get them home.

If OP is prepared to drive from ATL, why not simply ask to be rerouted to ATL and do that?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
We flew in to DFW from SJD on Saturday. FORTUNATELY, we had an overnight connection to BWI. It was just the best price option at the time for F. Needed 6 seats. However, if we were connecting same day we would have been in big trouble. Ground stop was just over. I had not seen lines worse at DFW in customs or immigration. My wife and I have GE, but the our adult kids don't. We might still be there! I want to say thousands of people streaming in every direction.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.