Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources thru 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive of older posts from the OSO thread; for the current thread see

AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources thru 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Big delays at Miami this evening, but AA62 left 8:46PM ET
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:02 pm

I'm assuming your sister is on AA 62, looks like it took off at 8:47pm so crisis averted ^
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
After three hours, passengers generally must be permitted to deplane or the USA DOT can impose heavy fines on the operating carrier.

In some cases, the airline announces that you can leave the aircraft but then you will/may not be ablle to get back on it if the flight is going to depart.

IIRC there are also some vague comfort requirements, such as water, AC/heat, functioning lavatories, etc.
However this was an international flight and according to this DOT link, it's up to the airline to specify the length of time. I took a quick look and it seems that AA has committed to doing something after 2 hours. AA.com.

I presume that's for both domestic and international but in any case, the weather would probably present a safety issue allowing them to keep pax on the aircraft longer.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Note that they will have to deplane all passengers if anyone gets off. International flights have a 100% bag matching requirement, so they have to ensure that no one left a carry-on on board.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by justhere
However this was an international flight and according to this DOT link, it's up to the airline to specify the length of time.
That link from 2009 is outdated with respect to covered international departures. There is a four-hour tarmac limit subject to safe operation conditions. See 14 CFR 259.4.

IMHO anybody truly burdened out by a <2 hour delay on arrival is too soft for long-haul travel. It goes with the territory.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ESpen36
If the jetbridge has already been retracted, chances are they cannot move it again while the ramp is closed. (in order to protect the workers who operate the jetbridge and surrounding ground area)

Sit tight and wait for further developments.
^ The weather in Miami last night was... rather uncooperative, to say the least. 30-odd diversions and maybe a dozen cancellations, and the ceiling at one of the ticket counters partially caved in. Most likely the flight was delayed due to a ramp closure triggered by frequent lightning in the vicinity of the airport. Fortunately, the tarmac delay laws do not trump employee safety.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
What's wrong with the 788? LAX-ORD isn't that long; it's not even a transcon.
Because AA has been awful at 787 maintenance.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rformance.html
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I think I'll avoid the AA operations on the East Coast for the rest of the summer.

After some pretty serious delays last Thursday getting from the West Coast back east, I was hoping for smoother sailing when we returned to Seattle on Monday. I had ticketed our family of five out of Islip to avoid the chaos of JFK, routing ISP-PHL-JFK instead.

But as we are just about to Islip, our phones began to ring and beep with alerts that our ISP-PHL flight would be delayed, likely making us miss the last flight out of the evening to Seattle. I kept track of things that evening and indeed we would have been stranded in PHL for the night ( and I was able to learn that it wasn't a weather delay).

I called the EXP line to see about proactive reaccommodation so we didn't have to wait around in Islip for the inevitable. I saw on expert flyer that there were some seats on the 8:45pm JFK-SEA flight, including 5 seats in F (2 of us had already cleared into F on PHL-SEA). The agent was really helpful and since there was no one on the upgrade list, she confirmed three of us straight into F. We grab another one way rental from ISP and set out on the 60 minute drive to JFK. When we arrived at JFK I went to check in and asked if as part of our reaccommodation my last two kids could be upgraded to F as well. After a bit of back-and-forth with a supervisor, they agreed as a good will gesture to allow the upgrades for miles only-- waiving all of the assorted fees ( I think it would've been $150 each since the miles were coming from my kids' non-elite accounts).

It turned out to be a wise move pushing for the upgrades, as we spent 90+ minutes at the gate in JFK waiting for maintenance issues to be cleared and in the end we arrived after 1 AM in Seattle.

Overall a pretty good experience with AA considering we were on 3 separate reservations with only 2 elites and we all wound up in F ;-)
Old Aug 12, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Cancelled flight - information assistance

Was cancelled today on AA3971. Phil to Toronto
As was the next flight out this evening. Friday Aug 12
No reason given by AA. Weather wasn't that bad at either city although yes there was some Thunderstorms.....but other flights were going. The inbound was delayed from YYZ but AA has dozens of planes and crew at Philly....
No idea how she did it but the lounge angel at the Admirals club got us booked on AC to YYZ later that evening and right after us others heard we were being booked and were told the AC flight was sold out. We know several who couldn't get on a flight till Saturday tomorrow
Question is can anyone tell me why AA cancelled both flights to YYZ ??? What the reason was ?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EY Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, Global Entry
Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
Was cancelled today on AA3971. Phil to Toronto
As was the next flight out this evening. Friday Aug 12
No reason given by AA. Weather wasn't that bad at either city although yes there was some Thunderstorms.....but other flights were going. The inbound was delayed from YYZ but AA has dozens of planes and crew at Philly....
No idea how she did it but the lounge angel at the Admirals club got us booked on AC to YYZ later that evening and right after us others heard we were being booked and were told the AC flight was sold out. We know several who couldn't get on a flight till Saturday tomorrow
Question is can anyone tell me why AA cancelled both flights to YYZ ??? What the reason was ?
There was ATC congestion in the NYC area (PHL is included in that airspace) with the impending threat of pop up thunderstorms there were a lot of flights canceled to/from that area. I had two CLT-NYC flights cancel and got to enjoy 6 hours at CLT.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
AA3971 tonight was cancelled due to air traffic congestion.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by danohio
There was ATC congestion in the NYC area (PHL is included in that airspace) with the impending threat of pop up thunderstorms there were a lot of flights canceled to/from that area. I had two CLT-NYC flights cancel and got to enjoy 6 hours at CLT.
Technically PHL is under Washington Center airspace, but anything flying north is going to be handed off to New York Center from Philly since the boundary is just a bit north of the city. Only mention it since any flights to/from the south would probably not be directly affected by a NY hold vs everything at PHL being directly impacted.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:05 pm

No Travel Advisory for Record Louisiana Flooding?

Hope the rest of the south Louisiana travelers are safe from this horrible flooding! Just got word from a friend that she had to cancel all of her flights this week on AA, UA and Southwest as her home was completely flooded and she lost everything. She called UA and Southwest and they cancelled her flights immediately as they have a travel waiver issued. When she called AA, there is no advisory and the agent charged her the $200 cancellation fee.

This makes me absolutely furious and I'm not even the one traveling this week. It would be one thing if the highways and local roadways were open, however people are still evacuating as the flood waters are now flowing backwards. I-10 and 12 have been shut down due to flooding with some people stuck for over 24 hours and getting food/water via helicopters on I-12. I suggested she write in but AA has really dropped the ball on this event. Sorry for venting my frustrations with y'all but this is extremely disappointing
Old Aug 14, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
There is a travel alert for Louisiana on the AA website:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.