Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage miles awards to / from Australia (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the topic archive of posts to 2009. For the current thread, see
AAdvantage miles awards to / from Australia (master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage miles awards to / from Australia (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2012, 3:14 am
Suspended

AA miles can be used to book the QF flight number on JQ-operated flights SYD <-> HNL.

Originally Posted by m0hamed
QF Fly domestic 767s to HNL with seats that are not Skybeds, the CRT video monitor etc. I believe they are cutting this route.
Source?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I would use a oneworld award to get to AU as I get a better choice of carriers.
YVR HKG ABC SYD NRT YVR
ABC is any destination served by CX
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:01 am
Suspended

That is called an "Explorer" award now.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:32 am

With the caveat that an Explorer Award vs a Regular award will cost 230000 vs 145000 in 1st Class, 150,000 vs 125000 in Business and 120000 vs 75000 in coach.
With the extra stopovers allowed the Business Class Explorer award is good value for the premium of 25000 miles. not so sure about the premium of 95000 miles for the First Class Explorer award although availability is certainly easier to find in First vis Asia to Oz
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
When did you fly that route?
Jan 11
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:57 am

HNL-SYD

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
When did you fly that route?
I flew that route 2-1/2 years ago. The OP is correct that planes weren't that nice. Old style "easy chair" reclining seats in J. I don' remember tapes (not sure I used the AVOD), but the video screen was definitely old-style & small.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I think it has been said above, bt it bears repeating. QF has excellent J award availability between Asia (Hong Kong, Bangkok and Singapore) and SYD, BNE, MEL and PER. Often in excess of 3 seats per flight (lloking about 6 months out). Most of these are flights operated by A330s, so they do not have the fully flat seats, but rather angled lie-flats. Nonetheless, they are comfortable. CX' availability ex-HKG is good too, but not as good as QF.

It is only 35K each way for a J award from Asia Zone 2 to Australia or New Zealand. Considering that the flights are substantially longer than most U.S. East Coast to Europe flights (e.g. HKG-SYD is nearly 1100 miles longer than JFK-LHR), this is a great value.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by iahphx
Not sure if it's ever been discussed here, but Hawaiian Air (HA) seems to have very good AA award availability on its Honolulu-Sydney/Brisbane flights. It pops up on AA.com.

Heading Westbound it appears that you generally misconnect, requiring an overnight in HNL. Of course, this might not be a problem if you want to stop in HNL anyway to take advantage of it being a free North American gateway stopover.

Eastbound it seems like the USA mainland connections are better. You could even fly SYD-HNL-JFK giving you an "extra day" in Australia over the Qantas flight because it leaves SYD at night and you "red-eye" into JFK (although doing anything productive that day in NYC would be a bear!).

Anyone ever fly HA to Australia? I'm assuming the Qantas product is better, both up-front and in coach. Is that an accurate assumption? Of course, if there's no Qantas award inventory available, and there is Hawaiian inventory, this concern is pretty moot.
I flew this route from LAX to HNL to SYD on HA early this year. My return was AKL to LAX to ORD on QF. QF was much nicer. I booked the HA flight because I was unable to find a QF J award flight from the opening of the award window to the day of the flight. Although the QF J flight was much nicer, I thought the HA J flight was significantly better than economy on QF. I would not hesitate to book HA again if I could not get the QF flight.

This is the topic archive of posts to 2009. For the current thread, see [u AAdvantage miles awards to / from Australia (master thread)"][/u]

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 25, 2015 at 6:23 pm Reason: Add moderator note

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.