Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
AA 73 & 72 LAX / Los Angeles <--> SYD / Sydney (as of 17 Dec 2015)
Was operated with Boeing 77W / 777-323ER to 8 Nov 2017
Changed to Boeing 787-9 in November 2017.
Including lounge, connections information

Initial schedule:

LAX-SYD: 17 Dec 2015 AA 73 Flight duration 15:05
Lv LAX 21:50 Dec 17 PST / 05:50 18 Dec GMT
Ar SYD 07:55 Dec 19 AEDT / 20:55 18 Dec GMT (same day)
SYD-LAX: 19 Dec 2015 AA 72 Flight duration 13:50
Lv SYD 12:00 Dec 19 AEDT / 01:00 19 Dec GMT
Ar LAX 06:50 Dec 19 PST / 14:50 19 Dec GMT
Inaugural flight AA73, operated by Boeing 777-323ER ("77W") N720AN:
2015-12-17 - AA73 - Los Angeles (LAX) STD 21:50 PST ATD 22:15 - Sydney (SYD) STA 07:55 AEDT ATA 07:30 AEDT

AA 73 Ar SYD 19 Dec 2015 - Seth Jaworski c/o Australian Aviation

From Source Aust BT
American Airlines will shift its Sydney-Los Angeles flights to a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner from November 8, 2017. The advanced jet replaces the larger Boeing 777-300ER and will see first class dropped from the trans-Pacific route, although business travellers on a budget will appreciate the introduction of American Airlines' new premium economy seating on the Boeing 787.

Link to Australian Aviation article

Older archived thread relating to announcement of new LAX-SYD-LAX flight (June 9, 2015) here.

Lounges: by oneworld status, or by class of service - and Admirals Club members flying out on AA (or an AA marketed flight) get to use the QANTAS Business Lounge.

Qantas First Lounge - spa, restaurant: First or oneworld Emerald passengers

Qantas Business Lounge: Business, oneworld Sapphire pax and Admirals Club members

On arrival
Link to Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport to FlyerTalk Oceania Forum SYD master thread with extensive wiki.

Connections:

International- no need to collect baggage if allowed by your airline(s), follow flight connections signs to immigration, flight connections desk. If you are not allowed to through check your bags you must process immigration, collect bags, process customs, proceed to the airline Check in areas and process security to get back airside.

Domestic: the domestic terminals 2 and 3 are 2.5 miles / 4 km away. Figure on a half hour at least to transfer, and if you use landside road transfers during high traffic times, longer (airside plan minimum half an hour). Talking about peak times, it can take two hours with queues waiting to board shuttle busses.

If traveling on via Qantas once you're landside after the Duty Free gantlet, follow the signs and go right. You'll eventually arrive at the baggage check facility, process security and take an airside shuttle that will end up with you're being at Gate 15 airside in the QF domestic terminal. It's called "Qantas seamless transfer".

If traveling with other airlines see Here

Link to SYD airport maps, etc.

Link to SYD airport FAQ.

If you wish to overnight close to international terminal 1, see here for a Rydges Sydney Airport stay report and tips.

Historical note: Pan American World Airways was the first American airline offering commercial passenger service to Australia, beginning Feb 1947 to SYD (with several stops), adding MEL in 1958. United acquired Pan Am's Pacific routes, operating them as of Feb 1986.

American Airlines initially operated to Sydney (and later also Melbourne between August 1970 through to March 1974. AA reestablished service with a DC-10 LAX-HNL-SYD return 4x weekly in Feb 1990, but ended that service March 1992.

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

AA LAX-SYD-LAX AA73 / AA72 (17 Dec 2015)

Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: Oneworld, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Ain't that the truth! Just for grins and giggles I looked at AA72 every day on EF between now and the end of May 2018, just to see if there was an indication of how far out upgrades could clear and there was not one single C bucket seat available (nor U either for that matter) on any given day. That's not to say that upgrades have cleared without having shown up as C, but it doesn't help with planing vacations. I had opted to travel in PY both ways and then upfared to business on the outbound when I saw I0 and the cabin starting to fill up, but the return is still showing J7 I7, so here is hoping.
Man this is frustrating. I can't justify the cost (+$6k) to move from econ to biz.

Blows
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: ex-ExPlat, AA Lifetime Platinum
in post #601 SoCalFlyer23 asked about pajamas after the change from 77W to 789. Can anyone confirm that PJ's are given out in business on AA72/AA73?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by geezersrule
in post #601 SoCalFlyer23 asked about pajamas after the change from 77W to 789. Can anyone confirm that PJ's are given out in business on AA72/AA73?
Yep, flew this route at the end of November, post 789 change, and pajamas were handed out 😁
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: ex-ExPlat, AA Lifetime Platinum
youngtraveldude...thanks...oldtraveldude a.k.a. geezersrule
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Flew LAX-SYD in early December. Was J0 for 2 weeks in advance until T-48 and then I was able to purchase J.

Plane departed with one J seat open ?!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
FYI Throwback Time

For what it's worth AA72 use to be LAX-CLE and the equipment was usually a B-707. Schedule for that flight leave LAX around 13h00 and arrive CLE around or just after 20h00.

AA73 was CLE-LAX and the schedule was leave CLE 10h00 and arrive LAX 11h30 or thereabouts. Equipment was normally a B-707 except I experienced the DC-10 on that flight between 1972 and 1974.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
For what it's worth AA72 use to be LAX-CLE and the equipment was usually a B-707. Schedule for that flight leave LAX around 13h00 and arrive CLE around or just after 20h00.

AA73 was CLE-LAX and the schedule was leave CLE 10h00 and arrive LAX 11h30 or thereabouts. Equipment was normally a B-707 except I experienced the DC-10 on that flight between 1972 and 1974.
Not too long ago 72 & 73 were ORD <-> HNL flights. I miss those.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
FYI - Flying AA72 in coach returning home. Offer upgrade to premium for $450. Declined. At airport offered $200 but agent not authorized. I would have accepted for $250.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Curious if anyone has feedback on the 787 J product when compared to QF... I'm able to book directly into J and need to be in Melbourne from PHX. I can either do the direct LAX - MEL on QF or LAX - SYD on AA and then jump on QF to go on to MEL. Curious if anyone has feedback here. Before the switch I would have stuck with AA but haven't yet been on the 787.

Also, what would be the impact on EQD or EQM if I book one or the other? I could book LAX-MEL on QF via AA website.

Last edited by WiscAZ; Feb 24, 2018 at 7:17 pm
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
.... I'm able to book directly into J and need to be in Melbourne from PHX. I can either do the direct LAX - MEL on QF or LAX - SYD on AA and then jump on QF to go on to MEL. Curious if anyone has feedback here. Before the switch I would have stuck with AA but haven't yet been on the 787.
Are you familiar with international to domestic transfer at SYD? Its a ******. Route
I happily pay good money to avoid international to domestic transfer at SYD.
Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Are you familiar with international to domestic transfer at SYD? Its a ******. Route
I happily pay good money to avoid international to domestic transfer at SYD.
Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport
Yeah I've done it a good half dozen times (SYD on to MEL) and while I could see how it could be a pain it's quite easy for me. I don't check bags and if the line to transfer looks long I just pay for the train. I think it's a good point to mention if anyone else is reading this in the future but for me specifically I have no issue with it.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
TL;DR: fly AA if you want miles. Only QF if you need to save the 3-4h for connection+wait+onward flight

Your profile says you're AA*EXP so there's a big difference, assuming you're crediting to AA.

EQD: on QF you get 25% of the distance. On AA you get 100% of the EQD (2-3x in favour of AA)
EQM: on QF you get 1.25. On AA you get 2.00 (AA in favour) (0.75 in favour of AA)
Miles: flying QF, you get 1.25 x a bonus. On AA you get 11x the dollars spent (2-3x in favour of AA)

I prefer the AA 787 seat to the QF 380/744. AA's bedding and amenity kit/pajamas are better. AA has wifi, QF doesn't. I think the QF food is better (personal preference), and QF service is a bit more personal/empathetic than AA. Remember as AA EXPL you only get F lounge access at QF-LAX First if you fly AA internationally

The domestic connection SYD-MEL isn't that much of a deal. I've never seen a queue for it (sometimes I have to wait one bus ~15 minutes). But you clear security before the transfer bus, so you end up airside on the other side

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Curious if anyone has feedback on the 787 J product when compared to QF... I'm able to book directly into J and need to be in Melbourne from PHX. I can either do the direct LAX - MEL on QF or LAX - SYD on AA and then jump on QF to go on to MEL. Curious if anyone has feedback here. Before the switch I would have stuck with AA but haven't yet been on the 787.

Also, what would be the impact on EQD or EQM if I book one or the other? I could book LAX-MEL on QF via AA website.

Last edited by shuuy; Feb 28, 2018 at 4:44 am
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by shuuy
... You don't get QF F access in LAX flying AA, though ...
I completely agree with most of what you posted except for this bit. Since @WiscAZ is EXP then they do get (Status based) access to QF First in LAX.

(Certainly not on a Class of service basis.)
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Hilton: Gold, SPG: Gold, Hyatt: Plat
TL;DR: You don't get QF F access in LAX flying AA, though...
As an EXP OP would get Qantas F lounge even when flying on AA
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:43 pm

TL;DR: fly AA if you want miles. Only QF if you need to save the 3-4h for connection+wait+onward flight

Your profile says you're AA*EXP so there's a big difference, assuming you're crediting to AA.

EQD: on QF you get 25% of the distance. On AA you get 100% of the EQD (2-3x in favour of AA)
EQM: on QF you get 1.25. On AA you get 2.00 (AA in favour) (0.75 in favour of AA)
Miles: flying QF, you get 1.25 x a bonus. On AA you get 11x the dollars spent (2-3x in favour of AA)

I prefer the AA 787 seat to the QF 380/744. AA's bedding and amenity kit/pajamas are better. AA has wifi, QF doesn't. I think the QF food is better (personal preference), and QF service is a bit more personal/empathetic than AA. You don't get QF F access in LAX flying AA, though...

The domestic connection SYD-MEL isn't that much of a deal. I've never seen a queue for it (sometimes I have to wait one bus ~15 minutes). But you clear security before the transfer bus, so you end up airside on the other side
This is exactly what I'm looking for and yeah as others said I would get QF F access but wouldn't change my decision either way. So I'm thinking this year I may be a little light on EQMs (EQDs I'll never have a problem) so I should probably book AA. One more question - if I book on AA website and do the QF codeshare from LAX-MEL (and then I'd do AA72 back) would I still get the 2x since it's booked on AA or would it be the 1.25x since it's operated by QF?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.