Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
AA 73 & 72 LAX / Los Angeles <--> SYD / Sydney (as of 17 Dec 2015)
Was operated with Boeing 77W / 777-323ER to 8 Nov 2017
Changed to Boeing 787-9 in November 2017.
Including lounge, connections information

Initial schedule:

LAX-SYD: 17 Dec 2015 AA 73 Flight duration 15:05
Lv LAX 21:50 Dec 17 PST / 05:50 18 Dec GMT
Ar SYD 07:55 Dec 19 AEDT / 20:55 18 Dec GMT (same day)
SYD-LAX: 19 Dec 2015 AA 72 Flight duration 13:50
Lv SYD 12:00 Dec 19 AEDT / 01:00 19 Dec GMT
Ar LAX 06:50 Dec 19 PST / 14:50 19 Dec GMT
Inaugural flight AA73, operated by Boeing 777-323ER ("77W") N720AN:
2015-12-17 - AA73 - Los Angeles (LAX) STD 21:50 PST ATD 22:15 - Sydney (SYD) STA 07:55 AEDT ATA 07:30 AEDT

AA 73 Ar SYD 19 Dec 2015 - Seth Jaworski c/o Australian Aviation

From Source Aust BT
American Airlines will shift its Sydney-Los Angeles flights to a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner from November 8, 2017. The advanced jet replaces the larger Boeing 777-300ER and will see first class dropped from the trans-Pacific route, although business travellers on a budget will appreciate the introduction of American Airlines' new premium economy seating on the Boeing 787.

Link to Australian Aviation article

Older archived thread relating to announcement of new LAX-SYD-LAX flight (June 9, 2015) here.

Lounges: by oneworld status, or by class of service - and Admirals Club members flying out on AA (or an AA marketed flight) get to use the QANTAS Business Lounge.

Qantas First Lounge - spa, restaurant: First or oneworld Emerald passengers

Qantas Business Lounge: Business, oneworld Sapphire pax and Admirals Club members

On arrival
Link to Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport to FlyerTalk Oceania Forum SYD master thread with extensive wiki.

Connections:

International- no need to collect baggage if allowed by your airline(s), follow flight connections signs to immigration, flight connections desk. If you are not allowed to through check your bags you must process immigration, collect bags, process customs, proceed to the airline Check in areas and process security to get back airside.

Domestic: the domestic terminals 2 and 3 are 2.5 miles / 4 km away. Figure on a half hour at least to transfer, and if you use landside road transfers during high traffic times, longer (airside plan minimum half an hour). Talking about peak times, it can take two hours with queues waiting to board shuttle busses.

If traveling on via Qantas once you're landside after the Duty Free gantlet, follow the signs and go right. You'll eventually arrive at the baggage check facility, process security and take an airside shuttle that will end up with you're being at Gate 15 airside in the QF domestic terminal. It's called "Qantas seamless transfer".

If traveling with other airlines see Here

Link to SYD airport maps, etc.

Link to SYD airport FAQ.

If you wish to overnight close to international terminal 1, see here for a Rydges Sydney Airport stay report and tips.

Historical note: Pan American World Airways was the first American airline offering commercial passenger service to Australia, beginning Feb 1947 to SYD (with several stops), adding MEL in 1958. United acquired Pan Am's Pacific routes, operating them as of Feb 1986.

American Airlines initially operated to Sydney (and later also Melbourne between August 1970 through to March 1974. AA reestablished service with a DC-10 LAX-HNL-SYD return 4x weekly in Feb 1990, but ended that service March 1992.

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

AA LAX-SYD-LAX AA73 / AA72 (17 Dec 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Real quick comment... even the Y meals have been taken up a couple of notches. Had a sirloin for dinner that was above average, but for breakfast, the scrambled eggs with mushrooms and tomato, cinnamon muffin, and yogurt was by far the best I've had on AA in any class on any route.

Pics coming later.
And here's the Y breakfast that I was raving about:

I posted a flight review in FT Trip Reports:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...nced-food.html
Old Jan 19, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by serfty
Most airports don't have a lounge the caliber of the Qantas First Lounge in Sydney.
Exactly. Most AA elites are used to lounges that are worse than most Australian prisons.

Originally Posted by thadocta
Very good of you to adjust the spelling of "calibre" for the US audience, well done serfty!

Whilst the SYD FLounge is a standout amongst lounges, Sydney (the city, not the airport) is a standout amongst cities.

As good as the FLounge is, there are better places to spend one's time, especially in one's last days in Sydney, than the FLounge.

Also, given the departure time of AA72 - 1100 during the Australian summer (so check-in opening at 0800) I really can't see what the issue is here, do you REALLY want to get out of bed at OMG o'clock just so that you can check-in super early to experience the FLounge? I wouldn't!

Dave
I have been in Sydney on holiday for an entire month, I also haven't been in the F lounge for a few years so if the option is paying for breakfast in the city at a crappy cafe near my hotel or to have a great meal and a massage in the F Lounge then it is quite frankly a no brainer.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:49 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
I have been in Sydney on holiday for an entire month, I also haven't been in the F lounge for a few years so if the option is paying for breakfast in the city at a crappy cafe near my hotel or to have a great meal and a massage in the F Lounge then it is quite frankly a no brainer.
How about the more sensible option - one which most sensible people would look at - is spending an extra hour or so in bed, arriving at the airport at around 0750, checking in at 0805 once check-in opens, arriving at the FLounge at around 0830, then having two hours to do all that you want - breakfast and spa - prior to boarding the flight.

Why on earth someone would want to check in more than three hours in advance for a flight leaving at 1100 is really something I am scratching my head wondering about, I would rather have the extra hour in bed, rather than in the lounge.

Now if it was an evening departure, I might start to agree with you......

Dave
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't been in the QF F Lounge in SYD, but was recently in the one at LAX at breakfast time. Honestly, the menu wasn't THAT exciting. The lunch/dinner menu looked much better, but alas we had to board our flight.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
have a great meal and a massage in the F Lounge then it is quite frankly a no brainer.
A massage? Chair massage I'm guessing.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I haven't been in the QF F Lounge in SYD
It is actually that good , been there twice (as well as twice to the MEL F lounge).

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
A massage? Chair massage I'm guessing.
Nope, it is more than that. Not quite a full 50-60 minute massage as might be had at a spa, or the TG F BKK lounge, but more than just a chair massage.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by thadocta
Why on earth someone would want to check in more than three hours in advance for a flight leaving at 1100 is really something I am scratching my head wondering about, I would rather have the extra hour in bed, rather than in the lounge.

Now if it was an evening departure, I might start to agree with you......

Dave
Not everyone has the opportunity to access the lounges in SYD (or MEL for that matter) on a regular basis and I can fully understand someone endeavoring to optimise the experience when they can - even if it is just a massage/facial with a champagne breakfast.

PS - The DYAC was High-Calibre when I posted earlier.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Anyone had experience with vegetarian meals on this route? I'm flying SYD-LAX in a couple weeks in business, and debating between the preorder option (rigatoni with chili lemon oil, shaved parmesan, basil) or ordering a vegetarian meal. On most routes this would be a no-brainer -- I'd preorder the pasta, since AA's VGMLs are truly horrifying -- but given the enhanced LAX <-> SYD service I'm wondering if I should chance it?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
I think the Mezze Plate is the vegetarian option, at least from memory and from looking at trip reports.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hartlogan
I think the Mezze Plate is the vegetarian option, at least from memory and from looking at trip reports.
Interesting -- the first four menu options are identical to what I see online for my flight, but the mezze isn't on the preorder menu. Hopefully it'll be available on the flight though! I preordered the rigatoni, but hopefully I won't really be hungry anyway after the QF F lounge...
Old Jan 24, 2016, 2:31 am

Looking to fly this route in February, and looking at the current loads while SYD-LAX looks like an easy upgrade, the return is dicier. I'm planning on booking only when C space opens (as AA doesn't seem to have advance purchase requirements). Anyone have any tips?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:23 pm

If you're using that strategy, you might not find a return flight.

When C space opens, there will likely be a wait list. Even if there's not, it likely won't open up prior to a few days out, max, if the past few weeks have been any indication. From reports I've seen, even when J was 1/2 full a week out, no C availability opened up until 1-3 days before. Especially if you're talking about the return flight, and you want to stay longer than a day or two, this means you would have booked and flown the SYD-LAX flight already.

There's also a specific thread for upgrades on this rout, "Upgrade & Waitlist AA 73 / AA 72 LAX-SYD-LAX". I suspect your post will get moved there.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:44 pm

Thanks for the info - I was monitoring EF and noticed that up until a few days ago, all flights within T-14 had plenty of C space. Now it seems to have dried up considerably.

What do you think the best strategy is - just find something where the seat map looks reasonably empty and hope for the best? This is an entirely leisure trip i.e. if the upgrade doesn't clear, chances are I wouldn't go.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Thanks for the info - I was monitoring EF and noticed that up until a few days ago, all flights within T-14 had plenty of C space. Now it seems to have dried up considerably.

What do you think the best strategy is - just find something where the seat map looks reasonably empty and hope for the best? This is an entirely leisure trip i.e. if the upgrade doesn't clear, chances are I wouldn't go.
Yep, that would be my plan, and shoot for a middle of the week return to avoid business travelers arriving on Sunday or Monday morning, and leisure travelers arriving on Friday/Sat morning so they can take minimal time off work. Maybe go for Mon/Tues evening departure from LAX, arriving Wed/Thurs morning.

You can also keep checking EF and see what seat maps/C space looks like 1-5 days out for flights on different days of the week. This may help you form an idea of what load factors look like a few days out. Especially as you'll be booking later and thus be toward the end of the wait list (at least EXP-wise), so you likely won't be in the first few cleared. Early reports of some of the flights have indicated that J was pretty much half-full/empty a day or two before the flight, so, IMO, there's a decent chance your upgrade would clear a day or less out. But that can change quickly.

All that said, this route is still very much in it's infancy. Therefore, certainly C-inv release patterns by Revenue Management and likely also patterns of load factors probably won't be visible or at least constant at this point. I would expect business travelers will be increasingly aware of this option and start to book it, reducing upgrade chances significantly.

How long are you planning on staying for?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by hartlogan
If you're using that strategy, you might not find a return flight.

When C space opens, there will likely be a wait list. Even if there's not, it likely won't open up prior to a few days out, max, if the past few weeks have been any indication. From reports I've seen, even when J was 1/2 full a week out, no C availability opened up until 1-3 days before. Especially if you're talking about the return flight, and you want to stay longer than a day or two, this means you would have booked and flown the SYD-LAX flight already.

There's also a specific thread for upgrades on this rout, "Upgrade & Waitlist AA 73 / AA 72 LAX-SYD-LAX". I suspect your post will get moved there.
C space has been opening for SYD-LAX about 2 weeks out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.