Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
AA 73 & 72 LAX / Los Angeles <--> SYD / Sydney (as of 17 Dec 2015)
Was operated with Boeing 77W / 777-323ER to 8 Nov 2017
Changed to Boeing 787-9 in November 2017.
Including lounge, connections information

Initial schedule:

LAX-SYD: 17 Dec 2015 AA 73 Flight duration 15:05
Lv LAX 21:50 Dec 17 PST / 05:50 18 Dec GMT
Ar SYD 07:55 Dec 19 AEDT / 20:55 18 Dec GMT (same day)
SYD-LAX: 19 Dec 2015 AA 72 Flight duration 13:50
Lv SYD 12:00 Dec 19 AEDT / 01:00 19 Dec GMT
Ar LAX 06:50 Dec 19 PST / 14:50 19 Dec GMT
Inaugural flight AA73, operated by Boeing 777-323ER ("77W") N720AN:
2015-12-17 - AA73 - Los Angeles (LAX) STD 21:50 PST ATD 22:15 - Sydney (SYD) STA 07:55 AEDT ATA 07:30 AEDT

AA 73 Ar SYD 19 Dec 2015 - Seth Jaworski c/o Australian Aviation

From Source Aust BT
American Airlines will shift its Sydney-Los Angeles flights to a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner from November 8, 2017. The advanced jet replaces the larger Boeing 777-300ER and will see first class dropped from the trans-Pacific route, although business travellers on a budget will appreciate the introduction of American Airlines' new premium economy seating on the Boeing 787.

Link to Australian Aviation article

Older archived thread relating to announcement of new LAX-SYD-LAX flight (June 9, 2015) here.

Lounges: by oneworld status, or by class of service - and Admirals Club members flying out on AA (or an AA marketed flight) get to use the QANTAS Business Lounge.

Qantas First Lounge - spa, restaurant: First or oneworld Emerald passengers

Qantas Business Lounge: Business, oneworld Sapphire pax and Admirals Club members

On arrival
Link to Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport to FlyerTalk Oceania Forum SYD master thread with extensive wiki.

Connections:

International- no need to collect baggage if allowed by your airline(s), follow flight connections signs to immigration, flight connections desk. If you are not allowed to through check your bags you must process immigration, collect bags, process customs, proceed to the airline Check in areas and process security to get back airside.

Domestic: the domestic terminals 2 and 3 are 2.5 miles / 4 km away. Figure on a half hour at least to transfer, and if you use landside road transfers during high traffic times, longer (airside plan minimum half an hour). Talking about peak times, it can take two hours with queues waiting to board shuttle busses.

If traveling on via Qantas once you're landside after the Duty Free gantlet, follow the signs and go right. You'll eventually arrive at the baggage check facility, process security and take an airside shuttle that will end up with you're being at Gate 15 airside in the QF domestic terminal. It's called "Qantas seamless transfer".

If traveling with other airlines see Here

Link to SYD airport maps, etc.

Link to SYD airport FAQ.

If you wish to overnight close to international terminal 1, see here for a Rydges Sydney Airport stay report and tips.

Historical note: Pan American World Airways was the first American airline offering commercial passenger service to Australia, beginning Feb 1947 to SYD (with several stops), adding MEL in 1958. United acquired Pan Am's Pacific routes, operating them as of Feb 1986.

American Airlines initially operated to Sydney (and later also Melbourne between August 1970 through to March 1974. AA reestablished service with a DC-10 LAX-HNL-SYD return 4x weekly in Feb 1990, but ended that service March 1992.

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

AA LAX-SYD-LAX AA73 / AA72 (17 Dec 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
More pics from the inaugural. http://imgur.com/a/5maWX

Im not going to post a video of the water cannon salute because well everyone can use their imagination on what it looks like.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Beef filet with lobster mac looks pretty much the same as the domestic version, just with a slightly larger portion.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by cmd320
Beef filet with lobster mac looks pretty much the same as the domestic version, just with a slightly larger portion.
The beef is larger (much larger) and more fresh (not dried out) but yeah you basically get the same amount of mac and cheese. Although i did find actual pieces of lobster claw in there unlike the domestic versions where it was just bits and pieces.

EDIT:

also checkin at SYD, AA has their own counters staffed by QF personnel, hilariously next to the UA desks and the DL desks. QF agents still having trouble figuring out Sabre, there were a couple AA personnel teaching them simple commands like "reprint boarding pass."
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
<redacted>

OS refers to Y pax awaiting seat assignments.

<redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 20, 2015 at 11:18 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content and reply
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Shortly before boarding we had a speech from JC and the MD of Asia/Pacific about the significance of the route.
Who are JC and MD? Can't recall those terms being used on the AA forum in the past.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would assume MD to be Managing Director of Asia/Pacific
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Who are JC and MD? Can't recall those terms being used on the AA forum in the past.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would assume MD to be Managing Director of Asia/Pacific
And JC is... well, it IS almost Christmas
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This thread has been cleaned up of dilatory posts and split off from the LAX-SYD announcement thread started 9 Jun 2015 by JonNYC. Link to archived thread is in the wiki.

/Moderator
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by JDiver
Maybe that's written by yahoos... I'm just sayin'.
I was taking that for granted ...

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
And JC is... well, it IS almost Christmas
Well, it wouldn't be entirely beyond the realm of possibility for folks whose original languages are of spanish or greek origin to have the name, but I am assuming it's the head of OPS at LAX, whose first name is Juan Carlos and, per the article linked to earlier, goes by JC
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
I saw the mention of mattress pads for J on View from the Wing -- the blog posting about the new food option on SYD. Wonder if you just didn't get it (a famous catering-type error lol) or if VFTW had some incorrect facts.
I can confirm I got a pillow, duvet, AND mattress pad in J on AA72 on the 19th.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by hartlogan
I can confirm I got a pillow, duvet, AND mattress pad in J on AA72 on the 19th.
I wonder if they just couldn't organize them for the inaugural flight? There weren't any on that.

I'm sure I'll get one for my seat 1A tomorrow.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:48 pm

Overnighted after my incoming flight from Perth at the Rydges Sydney Airport (links to SYD further information including connections and the hotel - I got the lowest rate and a $50 F&B credit by enrolling in their frequent guest programme and booking the "airplane spotter" rate) and am off to check in and head to the Qantas First lounge restaurant for brekkies, prior to boarding AA 72 for LAX. My SWU into First cleared ~ten days ago. ^

More information added to wiki about connections at SYD, etc.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 24, 2015 at 1:54 pm Reason: Add more Rydges info
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:21 pm

"They aren't releasing any C availability until T-24 right now."

What does T-24 mean/refer to?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by LeeVaughn
"They aren't releasing any C availability until T-24 right now."

What does T-24 mean/refer to?
24 hours before departure, in this instance.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Has there been any reports of J/F saver space on these routes or is the only way we've seen J/F availability for "awards" through AAnytime, SWUs and miles+cash?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.