FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Speculation: New US-Cuba aviation deal...how many flights for AA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1732446-speculation-new-us-cuba-aviation-deal-how-many-flights-aa.html)

IMStill4Travel Dec 17, 2015 10:36 am

Speculation: New US-Cuba aviation deal...how many flights for AA?

HAVANA (AP) — The United States and Cuba have struck a deal to allow 30 regular airline flights a day, allowing a surge of American travel to Cuba that could eventually flood the country with hundreds of thousands more U.S. visitors a year, officials said Thursday on the anniversary of detente between the Cold War foes.

The deal reached Wednesday night after three days of talks in Washington opens the way for U.S. airlines to negotiate with Cuba's government for routes that could one day bring more than 4,000 more Americans to Cuba daily. While it will likely take months before the first commercial flight to Havana, the reestablishment of regular aviation to Cuba after half a century will almost certainly be the biggest business development since the two countries began normalizing relations last year.

Thirty more flights a day would more than double current U.S. air traffic to Cuba but it may take years to reach that number. U.S. travel to Cuba has risen by more than 50 percent this year alongside an even great surge in travel from other countries, overwhelming the country's outmoded tourist infrastructure.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-cuba-flight...051233339.html

skunker Dec 17, 2015 10:50 am

AA already has charters from south Florida and now LAX. Just need to allow sale of tickets to the public.

IMStill4Travel Dec 17, 2015 10:52 am

Yes, but any speculation as to new routes?

Austin787 Dec 17, 2015 11:04 am

I could see AA starting a few MIA-Cuba flights, then adding flights from other hubs as demand grows.

IMStill4Travel Dec 17, 2015 11:35 am

I'm thinking TPA,ORD,DFW and NYC?

bgriz18 Dec 17, 2015 11:47 am

Considering a majority of Cubans live in Miami I expect nearly all AA adds to be from there. In the agreement there can be up to 110 daily roundtrips for all US airlines combined to Cuba. 20 to Havana and 10 to the other 9 international airports.

Wouldn't be surprised to see daily Miami service to all 10 of those cities. With more frequency to Havana. Also maybe a 1x from ORD, DFW to Havana

IMStill4Travel Dec 17, 2015 11:50 am

Seems like there are a lot of Cubans in the Tampa area as well. Not sure if it's enough to justify a non-stop though.

ElmhurstNick Dec 17, 2015 11:58 am

I think it depends what they decide to fly on the route. It seems like they could just stick a pair of CR7 doing nothing but flying MIA-Cuba-MIA turns, and have the occasional 737 from MIA during peak periods and from JFK.

(Edited because I saw the distribution of flights across airports and the caps per airport)

MsEverywhere Dec 17, 2015 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by IMStill4Travel (Post 25880006)
Seems like there are a lot of Cubans in the Tampa area as well. Not sure if it's enough to justify a non-stop though.

I often see the AA Cuba charter leaving from TPA. The long line is right next to the F/Priority Access line at the LAA counter.

DeepUnderground Dec 17, 2015 1:06 pm

Probably about 5 777/day from Salt Lake City

formeraa Dec 17, 2015 1:26 pm

I read one article that stated that AA had approx. 1200 charter flights to Cuba in the past year. I would see a minimum of 4x daily from MIA, plus one from DFW and ORD, perhaps. Then, we add in all of the Florida cities, which would merit at least weekly service.

As Cuba invests more money in infrastructure, I think the number of flights should continue to increase in future years.

ElmhurstNick Dec 17, 2015 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground (Post 25880337)
Probably about 5 777/day from Salt Lake City

No, all new 777 flying is supposed to be from LIT. It'll give the LIT-NRT planes something to do for a few hours before heading back.

AANYC1981 Dec 17, 2015 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick (Post 25880476)
No, all new 777 flying is supposed to be from LIT. It'll give the LIT-NRT planes something to do for a few hours before heading back.

LOL!

bchandler02 Dec 17, 2015 1:40 pm

How much demand will there be if the travel restrictions are still in place? I wouldn't see demand multiplying until general travel is allowed.

DenverBrian Dec 17, 2015 1:45 pm

Also, how good/bad is the Havana airport infrastructure to be able to handle such an increase in departures/arrivals?

Or have non-US airlines been able to get the airport up to snuff?