How bad is AA trans Atlantic economy?

Old Dec 16, 15, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
How bad is AA trans Atlantic economy?

I had some really bad experiences on AA years ago so haven't flown them since 2007. Now I'm trying to get back from Europe in March on saver economy, want to go to LAX. Only non-BA options are on AA.

I also need to go to NJ and there's availability on FinnAir to JFK. But it would be logistically easier/less expensive for me to go to LA first then NJ.

How bad exactly is AA on the TA flight? Really worth it to take Finnair?
thx
Old Dec 16, 15, 10:19 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
AA long haul economy is similar to any other airline: mainly about getting to your destination and not much more.
* Food: lunch after takeoff, then a small snack before arrival. Feel free to bring snacks.
* IFE: book a 777 or A330 to have a PTV
* Seat: use seat guru to find the best seats.
* Crew: hit or miss, but if you're nice to the FA's chances are they will be nice to you in return
Old Dec 16, 15, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Daichovo View Post
I had some really bad experiences on AA years ago so haven't flown them since 2007. Now I'm trying to get back from Europe in March on saver economy, want to go to LAX. Only non-BA options are on AA.

I also need to go to NJ and there's availability on FinnAir to JFK. But it would be logistically easier/less expensive for me to go to LA first then NJ.

thx
Assuming you are talking about Economy and the way you have posted this question, IMHO I would say you are not going to like AA Economy. Personally, I think its fine (nothing special) and would take the most logistically easy and less expensive route.
Old Dec 16, 15, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Now I'm trying to get back from Europe in March on saver economy, want to go to LAX. Only non-BA options are on AA"

Have you called AA to check award availability on TN's CDG-LAX nonstop? (I have no idea if TN's Economy Class is better, worse, or the same as AA's.)
Old Dec 16, 15, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had some really bad experiences on AA years ago so haven't flown them since 2007.
Nothing has improved. If economy is your only option, then expect an uncomfortable flight no better than your previous experiences-- maybe even a tad worse, especially as a non-AA-elite.
Old Dec 16, 15, 10:31 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Well in 2007 what did the typical airplane experience look like?

Today:
Newer planes (and mosty others) have 250 movies to watch, wifi, powerports, pillow/blanket, meal, snack before landing, free beer/wine, ice cream.
Old Dec 16, 15, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
For economy in the new 777W AA is using from LHR to LAX there is 10 across seating, whereas on the 772's AA is still using 9 across seating. Both aircraft are the same width so the wide of the seats is diminished on the 777W and the aisles are narrower meaning FA carts have to be thinner. AA is offering Main Cabin extra economy seating with 9 across on the 777W, and in addition to slightly wider seats there is 6 inches of extra legroom. If you can upgrade to this economy service it would probably be worth it for such a long flight to LAX! Have a nice trip!
Old Dec 16, 15, 10:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Now I'm trying to get back from Europe in March on saver economy, want to go to LAX. Only non-BA options are on AA"

Have you called AA to check award availability on TN's CDG-LAX nonstop? (I have no idea if TN's Economy Class is better, worse, or the same as AA's.)
I do. TN Moana Economy is IMO markedly worse than AA.

Seat pitch is miserable, the iirc cloth seats feel grungy, there's virtually no way to get an exit row, ground staff are largely unhelpful, hopeless and will occasionally lie to you; you'll feel very much like self-loading freight. Food is marginally edible - with some possibly inedible items to test you. This is if you get one of the refurbished aircraft, and there is, iirc, modest IFE.

On AA you can hope and work for better seating at check-in, and you'll be supported if the flight goes haywire.
Old Dec 16, 15, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve View Post
...AA is offering Main Cabin extra economy seating with 9 across on the 777W, and in addition to slightly wider seats there is 6 inches of extra legroom. If you can upgrade to this economy service it would probably be worth it for such a long flight to LAX!
If he's booking "saver economy" (the OP is a tad unclear) there will be no option for him to get MCE seats in advance on such an award.
Old Dec 16, 15, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but Plat for a year (yippie)

thx
AA Economy is like any other Economy product. Narrow seats, short legroom, bad food, cramped and uncomfortable.

But, you'll survive. I've flow AA Economy trans-Atlantic many times.
Old Dec 16, 15, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but Plat for a year (yippie)
Important: Take your own IFE. I pack a Kindle, Sudoku book, iPod and iPad in my carry-on, along with charging cables. You never know if the IFE at your seat will be working or not.
Old Dec 16, 15, 10:50 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by flight62 View Post
Today:
Newer planes (and mosty others) have 250 movies to watch, wifi, powerports, pillow/blanket, meal, snack before landing, free beer/wine, ice cream.
Economy passengers get ice cream? Is this just LHR-LAX or all TATL flights to/from LHR?
Old Dec 16, 15, 10:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach View Post
Important: Take your own IFE. I pack a Kindle, Sudoku book, iPod and iPad in my carry-on, along with charging cables. You never know if the IFE at your seat will be working or not.
Yes. You must listen to the Queen. She knows whereof she speaks!
Old Dec 16, 15, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I had some really bad experiences on AA years ago so haven't flown them since 2007.
Perhaps you could elaborate on what was bad for you in 2007 or before.

But yeah, AA economy for a long haul is bad. It does not compare to the spacious and award winning hard product/seats that UA/DL offers, not to mention the outstanding service offered by UA or DL on the air.
Old Dec 16, 15, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca View Post
Perhaps you could elaborate on what was bad for you in 2007 or before.

But yeah, AA economy for a long haul is bad. It does not compare to the spacious and award winning hard product/seats that UA/DL offers, not to mention the outstanding service offered by UA or DL on the air.
ROFLMAO! It's true, flying AA we're all mAAsochists.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: