FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   How bad is AA trans Atlantic economy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1732151-how-bad-aa-trans-atlantic-economy.html)

Daichovo Dec 16, 15 10:09 am

How bad is AA trans Atlantic economy?

I had some really bad experiences on AA years ago so haven't flown them since 2007. Now I'm trying to get back from Europe in March on saver economy, want to go to LAX. Only non-BA options are on AA.

I also need to go to NJ and there's availability on FinnAir to JFK. But it would be logistically easier/less expensive for me to go to LA first then NJ.

How bad exactly is AA on the TA flight? Really worth it to take Finnair?
thx

Austin787 Dec 16, 15 10:19 am

AA long haul economy is similar to any other airline: mainly about getting to your destination and not much more.
* Food: lunch after takeoff, then a small snack before arrival. Feel free to bring snacks.
* IFE: book a 777 or A330 to have a PTV
* Seat: use seat guru to find the best seats.
* Crew: hit or miss, but if you're nice to the FA's chances are they will be nice to you in return

neo_781 Dec 16, 15 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Daichovo (Post 25873190)
I had some really bad experiences on AA years ago so haven't flown them since 2007. Now I'm trying to get back from Europe in March on saver economy, want to go to LAX. Only non-BA options are on AA.

I also need to go to NJ and there's availability on FinnAir to JFK. But it would be logistically easier/less expensive for me to go to LA first then NJ.

thx

Assuming you are talking about Economy and the way you have posted this question, IMHO I would say you are not going to like AA Economy. Personally, I think its fine (nothing special) and would take the most logistically easy and less expensive route.

guv1976 Dec 16, 15 10:25 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Now I'm trying to get back from Europe in March on saver economy, want to go to LAX. Only non-BA options are on AA"

Have you called AA to check award availability on TN's CDG-LAX nonstop? (I have no idea if TN's Economy Class is better, worse, or the same as AA's.)

JonNYC Dec 16, 15 10:26 am

I had some really bad experiences on AA years ago so haven't flown them since 2007.

Nothing has improved. If economy is your only option, then expect an uncomfortable flight no better than your previous experiences-- maybe even a tad worse, especially as a non-AA-elite.

flight62 Dec 16, 15 10:31 am

Well in 2007 what did the typical airplane experience look like?

Today:
Newer planes (and mosty others) have 250 movies to watch, wifi, powerports, pillow/blanket, meal, snack before landing, free beer/wine, ice cream.

Lakeviewsteve Dec 16, 15 10:35 am

For economy in the new 777W AA is using from LHR to LAX there is 10 across seating, whereas on the 772's AA is still using 9 across seating. Both aircraft are the same width so the wide of the seats is diminished on the 777W and the aisles are narrower meaning FA carts have to be thinner. AA is offering Main Cabin extra economy seating with 9 across on the 777W, and in addition to slightly wider seats there is 6 inches of extra legroom. If you can upgrade to this economy service it would probably be worth it for such a long flight to LAX! Have a nice trip!

JDiver Dec 16, 15 10:36 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 25873279)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Now I'm trying to get back from Europe in March on saver economy, want to go to LAX. Only non-BA options are on AA"

Have you called AA to check award availability on TN's CDG-LAX nonstop? (I have no idea if TN's Economy Class is better, worse, or the same as AA's.)

I do. TN Moana Economy is IMO markedly worse than AA.

Seat pitch is miserable, the iirc cloth seats feel grungy, there's virtually no way to get an exit row, ground staff are largely unhelpful, hopeless and will occasionally lie to you; you'll feel very much like self-loading freight. Food is marginally edible - with some possibly inedible items to test you. This is if you get one of the refurbished aircraft, and there is, iirc, modest IFE.

On AA you can hope and work for better seating at check-in, and you'll be supported if the flight goes haywire.

JonNYC Dec 16, 15 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve (Post 25873347)
...AA is offering Main Cabin extra economy seating with 9 across on the 777W, and in addition to slightly wider seats there is 6 inches of extra legroom. If you can upgrade to this economy service it would probably be worth it for such a long flight to LAX!

If he's booking "saver economy" (the OP is a tad unclear) there will be no option for him to get MCE seats in advance on such an award.

QueenOfCoach Dec 16, 15 10:45 am

thx

AA Economy is like any other Economy product. Narrow seats, short legroom, bad food, cramped and uncomfortable.

But, you'll survive. I've flow AA Economy trans-Atlantic many times.

QueenOfCoach Dec 16, 15 10:47 am

Important: Take your own IFE. I pack a Kindle, Sudoku book, iPod and iPad in my carry-on, along with charging cables. You never know if the IFE at your seat will be working or not.

Sant Dec 16, 15 10:50 am

Originally Posted by flight62 (Post 25873322)
Today:
Newer planes (and mosty others) have 250 movies to watch, wifi, powerports, pillow/blanket, meal, snack before landing, free beer/wine, ice cream.

Economy passengers get ice cream? Is this just LHR-LAX or all TATL flights to/from LHR?

JDiver Dec 16, 15 10:53 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach (Post 25873440)
Important: Take your own IFE. I pack a Kindle, Sudoku book, iPod and iPad in my carry-on, along with charging cables. You never know if the IFE at your seat will be working or not.

Yes. You must listen to the Queen. She knows whereof she speaks! ;)

carlosdca Dec 16, 15 1:03 pm

I had some really bad experiences on AA years ago so haven't flown them since 2007.

Perhaps you could elaborate on what was bad for you in 2007 or before.

But yeah, AA economy for a long haul is bad. It does not compare to the spacious and award winning hard product/seats that UA/DL offers, not to mention the outstanding service offered by UA or DL on the air.

JDiver Dec 16, 15 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca (Post 25874237)
Perhaps you could elaborate on what was bad for you in 2007 or before.

But yeah, AA economy for a long haul is bad. It does not compare to the spacious and award winning hard product/seats that UA/DL offers, not to mention the outstanding service offered by UA or DL on the air.

ROFLMAO! It's true, flying AA we're all mAAsochists.