How bad is AA trans Atlantic economy?

Old Dec 19, 15, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by pfbloom View Post
Just a side note and anecdotal not analytic, but I believe AA economy has better seat pitch (slightly) than AY. I flew AY 330 last year and it was verrry tight on the knees.
Continued side note - when I flew AY (this year) as an EXP I could choose an Economy Comfort seat, which I found quite pleasant. (Certainly comparable to the 77W MCE; would happily fly again, at 6'3".)
Old Dec 19, 15, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by superweak View Post
Continued side note - when I flew AY (this year) as an EXP I could choose an Economy Comfort seat, which I found quite pleasant. (Certainly comparable to the 77W MCE; would happily fly again, at 6'3".)
Agreed. I flew JFK-HEL on a Y award a few weeks ago and was able to select an economy comfort seat. First 4 or 5 rows of coach, extra legroom, and they also provide noise cancelling headsets and a small amenity kit. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old Dec 19, 15, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by knit-in View Post
So, can it be conclusively said that BA trumps AA in Economy? If yes, it bodes well for my first ever Economy trans-Atlantic flight on BA next week!
I was on BA LHR-JFK last year, and mildly preferred it to AA. Seats were about the same (maybe mildly better on BA), entertainment way better on BA compared w/ AA 777/763, and food about equal. I thought the first meal on BA was way better than on AA, but the second meal was a tiny inedible sandwich and a KitKat bar and I would take the AA pizza or wrap or whatever they serve these days over it.

BA does provide a small amenity kit, and I thought the service was overall friendlier. Experience felt classier and more up to date than AA. On balance, would probably pick BA over AA if all else were equal, but wouldn't take a worse connection/pay more/etc for BA. At least on a short flight like LHR-JFK. For comparison, I still think DL is better than both AA/BA on the TATL routes.
Old Dec 19, 15, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by Daichovo View Post
I am a super budget traveller and ALWAYS fly economy. I have no status with AA. However, that flight in 2007 sucked. It was the day of the Jet Blue ice fiasco, in Feb Was stuck on a cramped (my knees were touching seat in front) AA plane in PHL for 5+ hours
So you seem to be tall. Take Finnair. Unlike AA, they will happily sell you an "economy comfort" seat for 60 Euros with TONS of legroom even as a non-status-holder on an award ticket.
This is what those 60 euros will buy you (with pictures) : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24266343-post107.html
Old Dec 19, 15, 7:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

It's just been reported in the "AA oneworld and other airlines" award thread in this forum that the AF CDG-LAX nonstop that TN codeshares on is bookable with AA miles! How is TATL Economy on AF?
TN better than complications from a colonoscopy. I'm not a fan of TN Moana Coach. It feels quite crowded, has tight seat pitch and it's virtually impossible to get an exit row. Ground handling leaves much to be desired.

TN on AF, better than TN!

Yet... for others reading here, LAX-CDG nonstop may well be less pain than connecting.
Old Dec 20, 15, 8:46 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by airplanegod View Post
Unless it fits your schedule better or you used miles, I don't know why anyone would pick AA if British Airways, Air France, or Lufthansa non-stop were options.
Another reason: if you're connecting at JFK, inbound on AA, and want to avoid the hassle of changing terminals.
Old Dec 20, 15, 6:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP ; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by aa4ever View Post
I was on BA LHR-JFK last year, and mildly preferred it to AA. Seats were about the same (maybe mildly better on BA), entertainment way better on BA compared w/ AA 777/763, and food about equal. I thought the first meal on BA was way better than on AA, but the second meal was a tiny inedible sandwich and a KitKat bar and I would take the AA pizza or wrap or whatever they serve these days over it.

BA does provide a small amenity kit, and I thought the service was overall friendlier. Experience felt classier and more up to date than AA. On balance, would probably pick BA over AA if all else were equal, but wouldn't take a worse connection/pay more/etc for BA. At least on a short flight like LHR-JFK. For comparison, I still think DL is better than both AA/BA on the TATL routes.
I am on an early morning flight from JFK, so my guess is that breakfast can't be highly imaginative-- for better or worse. The flight is short enough to not worry about the second meal. Really, the service makes a lot of difference when in coach. To not feel that that one is a terrible burden on another's workday can make an otherwise average experience seem better.

Hoping the holiday spirit will be abound on our very full flight!
Old Dec 20, 15, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but Plat for a year (yippie)
Originally Posted by smilinganddialing View Post
Queen - I generally love your posts but I find this one particularly unhelpful and perhaps even a little detrimental.

Problem1: Not all long-haul Y products are the same. This is factually incorrect.

Problem 2: Acting as if all long-haul Y is the same and spending ones dollars as if this is the case leads to lower happiness and lower quality products in the marketplace. Kayak recently implemented RouteHappy and how shows things like whether there is wifi, whether there is IFE and RouteHappy obviously shows even more.

Millions of people fly long-haul Y and are totally fine. The amount of exaggeration and calling things "cattle class" is sometimes funny but often completely unhelpful.

I have not flown Y on the AA 77W and am thrilled with the 772s in 9-across for long as they exist (this is coming from someone who would get free 9-across MCE on the 77W). Frankly, any 77W or 772 cabin in a 10-across configuration is going to be uncomfortable.

With the 772s moving to 10-across MCE, AA continues to slip. 9-across in the 787s sounds awful. AA was too cheap to invest in IFE that tilts when the seat infront of you reclines. Just awful.

For Y flyers, there is a big difference between 9-across on a 787 or 10-across on a 777 when other airlines offer far better experiences in things like an 8-across A330 (e.g. LX) or 9-across 777 (e.g. BA, SQ, etc.).

All Economy Class Y is NOT the same
Seldom read on FT: You are right.

In the past 20 years, or so, I've just flown LAX-LHR transatlantic and just go with AA out of habit. I last flew BA, Air NZ, Qantas, etc., long ago, so I am in no good position to compare the fine points of various Economy products.

Having said that, in my personal opinion the presence of your own IFE makes a huge difference. In this day of iPads and Kindles, it never ceases to amaze me that people board an airplane for a 10-hour flight with nothing to do. I can't believe all the messages I read on FT from people flying longhaul First with broken IFE and "nothing to do" for five or ten or more hours.

One of my best flights, ever, was two days after Tom Wolfe's new novel was released. I bought it at the bookstore, hardback, and spent my 10 hours LAX-LHR immersed in "A Man In Full". The hours just flew by.
Old Dec 21, 15, 8:46 pm

Programs: SPG 75 Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Delta PM, AA EXP
DL would be my go to if you preferred a US airline, in my experience they actually attempt to do more than one drink run pre-meal, and I observe they seem to have a better handle on making the flight experience pleasant for the whole plane.
But AA I try to only do economy on long haul flights in 16L of the 77W, simply due to the decent sized seat, in seat power, and the ability to use my suitcase as a footstool. But If I wasn't EXP and a typical non-status flyer I would probably go for BA or LH TATL simply due to the slightly better overall service
Old Dec 21, 15, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
If your flight is on a 767-300 you would be hard pressed to find a worse economy experience. Even if not, I think AA still ranks behind DL and UA in terms of International Y.
I have not flown DL TATL, but I've flown AAs 767-300 in E at least 20 times in the last decade and UA TATL at least as many times and I've got to say you've got to be kidding. Both are miserable if not in E+ or MCE.
Old Dec 22, 15, 8:41 am

Programs: AS MVP ; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by fahrradman View Post
I have not flown DL TATL, but I've flown AAs 767-300 in E at least 20 times in the last decade and UA TATL at least as many times and I've got to say you've got to be kidding. Both are miserable if not in E+ or MCE.
My last international economy on an American flag carrier was on DL in 2013-- BOM-AMS. I thought it was pretty decent. I might have been in the erstwhile Economy Comfort though.
Old Dec 22, 15, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Oh they're all varying degrees of misery if you're not in Y+ but I think DL is the least miserable, followed by UA and then AA.
Old Dec 22, 15, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach View Post
Seldom read on FT: You are right.

One of my best flights, ever, was two days after Tom Wolfe's new novel was released. I bought it at the bookstore, hardback, and spent my 10 hours LAX-LHR immersed in "A Man In Full". The hours just flew by.
Seldom found on FT: humility

Thank you QueenofCoach. Also, I once met Tom Wolfe. He wasn't particularly friendly.

Oh they're all varying degrees of misery if you're not in Y+ but I think DL is the least miserable, followed by UA and then AA.
Agreed. Add to that the awful mx standards on AA's 763s and you've got a nightmare that is only ameliorated when that 763 is flying EU - USA and you manage to get $1,000 in eCerts for your EU 261/2004 compensation.
Old Dec 22, 15, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Not sure why you say that. Given the choice and no tier status, I would gladly fly AA TATL over UA. This comes from experiencing many, many TATL flights on both AA and UA. That said, almost all have been in E+ or MCE.
Old Dec 22, 15, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Not sure why you say that. Given the choice and no tier status, I would gladly fly AA TATL over UA. This comes from experiencing many, many TATL flights on both AA and UA. That said, almost all have been in E+ or MCE.
Why's that? AA seatback IFE for Y is pants on a lot of the 777s (the flight I was on had awful scratchy video) and completely nonexistent on the 763 (which just has a horrible, ancient cabin). CO 764s have IFE, so do a lot of pmUA's fleet. Both E+ and MCE have added leg room, so that's a wash. Surely coach food can't make THAT much of a difference, can it? Or is there something I'm missing? You've not really said WHY AA > UA in Y...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: