How bad is AA trans Atlantic economy?

Old Dec 16, 15, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
Originally Posted by flight62 View Post
Well in 2007 what did the typical airplane experience look like?

Today:
Newer planes (and mosty others) have 250 movies to watch, wifi, powerports, pillow/blanket, meal, snack before landing, free beer/wine, ice cream.
We flew AA in coach in November on award seats from DFW to FCO via PHL and from MAD to DFW. It has been several years since we have been in coach thanks to SWUs. We were served small cups of chocolate ice ceam on the flight home.
Old Dec 16, 15, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
My apologies. I'm not non-elite (and haven't been for over a decade) nor have I redeem for TATL Y on AA MCE-equipped metal so my apologies. That does seem odd though, and thanks for the correction. It's likely not high on AA's list though but you'd think any ancillary revenue would be good. That said it could be interesting if OP tried calling and offered to purchase MCE or went to an airport agent. I imagine agent would be inclined to give a comp assignment day of, but you never know.
Just as a note, you would get MCE on a TATL Y award; they can handle "free", just not "charge this dude money on top of the free ticket".

Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
I'd say no less than 3 years ago I was told "want to fix it, for sure, but hasn't made it to top of list" Charging for MCE automatically triggers a couple of fees or taxes or whatever (ticket is no longer "free") and they system can't handle that for some reason.

It's kinda stupid-- and leaves money on the table for sure-- but that's how it be.
I sure hope AS doesn't have this problem when they implement their version of MCE... they also use SABRE from the age of stone knives and bearskins.
Old Dec 16, 15, 7:16 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
If your flight is on a 767-300 you would be hard pressed to find a worse economy experience. Even if not, I think AA still ranks behind DL and UA in terms of International Y.
I recently did a trip TATL on AA where one leg was on the 767-300 and the other on the A333 coming back across the pond. The newer entertainment system on the A333 was nice since that was a daytime vs. overnight flight, but overall it was remarkably similar in Y. I was traveling with my wife so the 2-3-2 and 2-4-2 seating where we had two seats together definitely helped.

The 767 definitely felt dated with overheard screens playing movies, but as long as your bring your own entertainment, eye shades, and ear plugs, I don't think there's that much of a difference within the AA fleet to worry since you're looking more for availability with the saver award instead of optimum flight times and comfort.
Old Dec 16, 15, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
It's longhaul Y.....just have some strong drinks and go to sleep. Worked really well when my EZE-JFK SWU didn't clear last year
That didn't work for me when our GIG JFK SWU didn't clear (refurbished 767 300) and the MCE bulkheads were awful. On the high traffic day returns from Brasil, we are paying up to J now with the tickets less expensive.
Old Dec 16, 15, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by george 3 View Post
That didn't work for me when our GIG JFK SWU didn't clear (refurbished 767 300) and the MCE bulkheads were awful. On the high traffic day returns from Brasil, we are paying up to J now with the tickets less expensive.
I usually can barely sleep on planes in general even with lie flat seats but that flight worked for some reason.....as my parents taught me: travel tired! Lol

Last edited by AANYC1981; Dec 17, 15 at 11:12 am
Old Dec 17, 15, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
Hi there,
Wow, a zillion responses!

I am a super budget traveller and ALWAYS fly economy. I have no status with AA. However, that flight in 2007 sucked. It was the day of the Jet Blue ice fiasco, in Feb Was stuck on a cramped (my knees were touching seat in front) AA plane in PHL for 5+ hours with no real explanation other than "We can't take off, but if you get off the plane you forefeit your ticket"). Meanwhile they couldn't give us anything to eat or let us use the bathroom, but kept giving everyone water. A guy peed his pants one over from me.

Eventually the flight to DFW took off (of course withlu doing much to clean up pee man, who I truly felt sorry for). AArrived after my connection to AGU and was told that my replacement flight would be in three days...AFTER my return flight, that is. I was headed to my first post grad audition, one I'd been invited to, so that was out of the question. After a lot of negotiating I got them to give me a flight on continental the next day. However they refused to give me any other compensation, not even a blanket despite the fact I had to spend the night in the airport and they'd cranked the AC (I was prepared for Mexico). Also couldn't get my bag, they said it had to be checked through.

Few people around but the ones who were were sketch. I fell asleep on top of my trumpet case and awoke at 4am to a guy masterbating across from me. Guess what? No security anywhere to be seen and of course no one gave a $#!t.

Finally arrived via another connection to AGU, where I found out my luggage was on the wrong plane. Ripped a hole near my crotch after tripping on the sidewalk near the hotel in the only clothes I had. But never fear! They sent someone to wake me up at 3am the morning of my audition with my newly arrived suitcase.

I guess you can guess, things didn't go well at the audition, a bunch of logistical stuff came up and I lost focus. Blegh.

Anyway, relieved to leave early the next morning until I found out at the airport both AA and Continental had no records of a return flight for me. Had to buy a ticket (now uber expensive) on my own, broke ex-grad student budget.

Countless emails and calls did nothing, usually I was hung up on or not responded to. Never even an apology, just, "it's not our fault".

THIS is why I try not to fly AA. So, hoping for a reasonable flight experience, and not a [email protected] if something, even a small thing, went wrong.
Old Dec 17, 15, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, BA Silver
3-4-3 section of AA's 77W Main Cabin is something to avoid IMHO.
Old Dec 17, 15, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K
Originally Posted by Daichovo View Post
Hi there,
Wow, a zillion responses!

I am a super budget traveller and ALWAYS fly economy. I have no status with AA. However, that flight in 2007 sucked. It was the day of the Jet Blue ice fiasco, in Feb Was stuck on a cramped (my knees were touching seat in front) AA plane in PHL for 5+ hours with no real explanation other than "We can't take off, but if you get off the plane you forefeit your ticket"). Meanwhile they couldn't give us anything to eat or let us use the bathroom, but kept giving everyone water. A guy peed his pants one over from me.

Eventually the flight to DFW took off (of course withlu doing much to clean up pee man, who I truly felt sorry for). AArrived after my connection to AGU and was told that my replacement flight would be in three days...AFTER my return flight, that is. I was headed to my first post grad audition, one I'd been invited to, so that was out of the question. After a lot of negotiating I got them to give me a flight on continental the next day. However they refused to give me any other compensation, not even a blanket despite the fact I had to spend the night in the airport and they'd cranked the AC (I was prepared for Mexico). Also couldn't get my bag, they said it had to be checked through.

Few people around but the ones who were were sketch. I fell asleep on top of my trumpet case and awoke at 4am to a guy masterbating across from me. Guess what? No security anywhere to be seen and of course no one gave a $#!t.

Finally arrived via another connection to AGU, where I found out my luggage was on the wrong plane. Ripped a hole near my crotch after tripping on the sidewalk near the hotel in the only clothes I had. But never fear! They sent someone to wake me up at 3am the morning of my audition with my newly arrived suitcase.

I guess you can guess, things didn't go well at the audition, a bunch of logistical stuff came up and I lost focus. Blegh.

Anyway, relieved to leave early the next morning until I found out at the airport both AA and Continental had no records of a return flight for me. Had to buy a ticket (now uber expensive) on my own, broke ex-grad student budget.

Countless emails and calls did nothing, usually I was hung up on or not responded to. Never even an apology, just, "it's not our fault".

THIS is why I try not to fly AA. So, hoping for a reasonable flight experience, and not a [email protected] if something, even a small thing, went wrong.
Quite a story! Especially with the guy giving himself a handy at DFW - yuck!

Greetings from a fellow musician, btw! And a very "I've been there, brah" to you - when I was younger and traveling all over the place without status, it sucked big time!

The good news is travel doesn't suck quite as much as it did in 2007 if you misconnect - the fact that airlines are larger have proven to be generally consumer-unfriendly - but the much larger airlines mean bigger route networks, which means it's usually easier to recover from a bad delay. Plus, you'll never get stuck on the tarmac for five hours because of the DOT's Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections rule, passed in 2009.
Old Dec 17, 15, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax View Post
Quite a story! Especially with the guy giving himself a handy at DFW - yuck!

Greetings from a fellow musician, btw! And a very "I've been there, brah" to you - when I was younger and traveling all over the place without status, it sucked big time!

The good news is travel doesn't suck quite as much as it did in 2007 if you misconnect - the fact that airlines are larger have proven to be generally consumer-unfriendly - but the much larger airlines mean bigger route networks, which means it's usually easier to recover from a bad delay. Plus, you'll never get stuck on the tarmac for five hours because of the DOT's Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections rule, passed in 2009.

Yeah, I know my rights more now...anyway, I'm looking for a decent experience. I am new to AA basically (the only reason i have these miles is from USAir leftovers) and have already burned through my stash of UA miles. Of course even with those I never fly with UA internationally on an award ticket. So not sure what to expect with AA.
Old Dec 17, 15, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
I'd say the important part is "what's your routing and timing for your choices"?

If your options are London-LAX on a nonstop and London-Madrid-Helsinki-JFK-DFW-PHX-LAX that will take 36 hours (to exaggerate to a ridiculous case)... there isn't a Y class in the universe that's going to make me spend 36 hours getting there, even if the 77W nonstop to LAX is cramped and I'd be stuck in a middle seat.
Old Dec 17, 15, 11:11 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
Economy passengers get ice cream? Is this just LHR-LAX or all TATL flights to/from LHR?
Standard in Y on westbound TATLs. Have gotten it FRA-CLT.

I live (practically) in AA TATL Y. Ain't great but c'est la vie.
Old Dec 17, 15, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

It's just been reported in the "AA oneworld and other airlines" award thread in this forum that the AF CDG-LAX nonstop that TN codeshares on is bookable with AA miles! How is TATL Economy on AF?
Old Dec 17, 15, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
It's just been reported in the "AA oneworld and other airlines" award thread in this forum that the AF CDG-LAX nonstop that TN codeshares on is bookable with AA miles! How is TATL Economy on AF?
Yeah, that was a pretty cool revelation! 100% undocumented-- kind of an amazing find on that poster's part!
Old Dec 17, 15, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
Economy passengers get ice cream? Is this just LHR-LAX or all TATL flights to/from LHR?
it's not the made-to-order sundae in F or J. It's the little plastic tub with the small wooden spoon. About 4 bites of ice cream, then you sit with the empty container on your tray table for another hour before they pick it up.
Old Dec 17, 15, 2:51 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

TATL on AF is fine. They use the A380 once a day and a 777 twice. The 777 is 10 across but the A380 would be my choice. (I've done both in Y, PE, & J).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: