FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   How bad is AA trans Atlantic economy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1732151-how-bad-aa-trans-atlantic-economy.html)

eponymous_coward Dec 16, 2015 12:29 pm

8 across on Finnair 333s/343s vs. 10 across on an AA 77W is a no-brainer in my opinion, and OP will have no access to 9 across Y+ for the 77W if this is an award and OP is not an elite.

flyingmusicianlax Dec 16, 2015 12:31 pm

OP I would actually suggest taking a look at ex-US options on the 332 or 333. Regular Y actually has good seat pitch and width (far better than regular Y on the 77W), you can get an aisle seat with only one seatmate, and the AVOD, while not quite as extensive as the 77W, is still very good.

Of course if you're trying to get to LA, you'll need to connect on a crappy, "dark" ex-US A321 from PHL or CLT, so it's give-and-take. On the other hand, if you're trying to get to NJ, it's just a quick connection.

eponymous_coward Dec 16, 2015 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax (Post 25874379)
OP I would actually suggest taking a look at ex-US options on the 332 or 333. Regular Y actually has good seat pitch and width (far better than regular Y on the 77W), you can get an aisle seat with only one seatmate, and the AVOD, while not quite as extensive as the 77W, is still very good.

Of course if you're trying to get to LA, you'll need to connect on a crappy, "dark" ex-US A321 from PHL or CLT, so it's give-and-take. On the other hand, if you're trying to get to NJ, it's just a quick connection.

Also assumes the domestic connection is there on an award. It might not be (sometimes the TATL availability is much better than TCON), or you might end up with some kind of Europe-PHL/CLT-DFW/ORD-LAX four-stop monstrosity with long stopovers that takes a full day+ from Europe. I don't think I'd want that even if it kept me out of the 77W.

It might help the OP if they were a bit more specific on the options and routing they had, as well as what was so awful about 2007 (as mentioned).

But yes, the US Airbus 330s are probably better in Y than 10 across 77Ws or beater pmAA non-refurbed 777s/767s.

AAerSTL Dec 16, 2015 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 25874364)
8 across on Finnair 333s/343s vs. 10 across on an AA 77W is a no-brainer in my opinion, and OP will have no access to 9 across Y+ for the 77W if this is an award and OP is not an elite.

OP will have access upon availability, and subject to charge as a non-elite. Although plenty of people it seems are successful at shamelessly asking for free seat changes at the airport to desirable MCE/Preferred and Exit Row seats. Can't really blame them for trying, but AA agents seem too willing to please at times. Aren't UA agents and F/As far more vigilant of pax gaining free E+ and even have their OSRs (now iPhone 6 Plus?) programmed to charge on-board self up-graders?

smilinganddialing Dec 16, 2015 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach (Post 25873434)
AA Economy is like any other Economy product. Narrow seats, short legroom, bad food, cramped and uncomfortable.

But, you'll survive. I've flow AA Economy trans-Atlantic many times.

Queen - I generally love your posts but I find this one particularly unhelpful and perhaps even a little detrimental.

Problem1: Not all long-haul Y products are the same. This is factually incorrect.

Problem 2: Acting as if all long-haul Y is the same and spending ones dollars as if this is the case leads to lower happiness and lower quality products in the marketplace. Kayak recently implemented RouteHappy and how shows things like whether there is wifi, whether there is IFE and RouteHappy obviously shows even more.

Millions of people fly long-haul Y and are totally fine. The amount of exaggeration and calling things "cattle class" is sometimes funny but often completely unhelpful.

I have not flown Y on the AA 77W and am thrilled with the 772s in 9-across for long as they exist (this is coming from someone who would get free 9-across MCE on the 77W). Frankly, any 77W or 772 cabin in a 10-across configuration is going to be uncomfortable.

With the 772s moving to 10-across MCE, AA continues to slip. 9-across in the 787s sounds awful. AA was too cheap to invest in IFE that tilts when the seat infront of you reclines. Just awful.

For Y flyers, there is a big difference between 9-across on a 787 or 10-across on a 777 when other airlines offer far better experiences in things like an 8-across A330 (e.g. LX) or 9-across 777 (e.g. BA, SQ, etc.).

All Economy Class Y is NOT the same

aztimm Dec 16, 2015 1:17 pm

I haven't yet flown AA trans-Atlantic (well other than US), but have flown AA trans-Pacific. I was lucky enough to be in MCE or exit rows, so the seat was fine (MCE with a vacant middle for DFW-HKG really helped!)
Food was just ok. Not as bad as another domestic airline I've flown when US was in *A, but definitely not as good as German *A partner either.

I have flown BA long haul, IAH-LHR-JNB-LHR-IAH, and other than a cramped seat on some legs, I really have to say the rest was excellent. The food was similar to what I'd get on US for domestic first (they don't unwrap it for you first, but I can deal with that). There's booze if you want it. And the staff just have something that I've never encountered on any US airline, friendly but in a genuine way.
The pilots seem less trigger happy with the seatbelt sign, turning it off fairly quickly and leaving it off unless there is something very worthy of it being on. So you're able to get up and walk around. The staff didn't mind me standing and stretching a bit in the rear of the cabin.
I'd definitely fly BA if the cost and schedule worked. Well and as long as you could get full miles credited to AA ;)

CMK10 Dec 16, 2015 2:01 pm

If your flight is on a 767-300 you would be hard pressed to find a worse economy experience. Even if not, I think AA still ranks behind DL and UA in terms of International Y.

no1cub17 Dec 16, 2015 2:58 pm

Did you call and ask about BRU-EWR Y awards on Jet Airways? That'll take care of getting to NJ. Not sure if you like Indian food or not - but 9W's catering (even in Y) used to be really quite good. Not so great anymore but still beats the hell out of the filth AA serves. Plus 9W's A330s have PTVs/AVOD - so some entertainment options at least.

AANYC1981 Dec 16, 2015 3:11 pm

It's longhaul Y.....just have some strong drinks and go to sleep. Worked really well when my EZE-JFK SWU didn't clear last year :D

Fornebufox Dec 16, 2015 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17 (Post 25875188)
Did you call and ask about BRU-EWR Y awards on Jet Airways? That'll take care of getting to NJ. Not sure if you like Indian food or not - but 9W's catering (even in Y) used to be really quite good. Not so great anymore but still beats the hell out of the filth AA serves. Plus 9W's A330s have PTVs/AVOD - so some entertainment options at least.

Jet Airways is discontinuing that route as of March 27, so bear that in mind.

And to add another two cents worth, yes, AA longish haul coach is uncomfortable. Over about a year and a half I did ~15 TATLs on other airlines, mostly OW, and when I had the misfortune in September to fly the refurbed 767-300 in MCE I found it markedly more cramped the previous configuration. It still lacked in-seat entertainment, and the food was worse than I remembered, if that's possible. I shudder to think what 10-across would be like.

eponymous_coward Dec 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL (Post 25874579)
OP will have access upon availability, and subject to charge as a non-elite.

Not on an award. OP specifically said "I'm trying to get back from Europe in March on saver economy". Thus I am assuming OP is on an award, and does not have elite status on AA.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Per the Wiki:

Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Yes, Main Cabin Extra is available for purchase when traveling on a Business Extra Plan AAhead ticket. However, Main Cabin Extra is not available to customers traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket.
I've experienced this myself on Y TATL awards as an AS MVP without access to free MCE: AA doesn't want my money and will not sell me MCE on a Y award. :rolleyes: (not at you, at AA)

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 25874625)
I'd definitely fly BA if the cost and schedule worked. Well and as long as you could get full miles credited to AA ;)

OP is likely on an award (per above) and thus is probably not too keen to pay loads of YQ, which is why they called out "Only non-BA options are on AA.". ;)

AAerSTL Dec 16, 2015 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 25875402)
Not on an award. OP specifically said "I'm trying to get back from Europe in March on saver economy". Thus I am assuming OP is on an award, and does not have elite status on AA.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Per the Wiki:

I've experienced this myself on Y TATL awards as an AS MVP without access to free MCE: AA doesn't want my money and will not sell me MCE on a Y award. :rolleyes: (not at you, at AA)

OP is likely on an award (per above) and thus is probably not too keen to pay loads of YQ, which is why they called out "Only non-BA options are on AA.". ;)

My apologies. I'm not non-elite (and haven't been for over a decade) nor have I redeem for TATL Y on AA MCE-equipped metal so my apologies. That does seem odd though, and thanks for the correction. It's likely not high on AA's list though but you'd think any ancillary revenue would be good. That said it could be interesting if OP tried calling and offered to purchase MCE or went to an airport agent. I imagine agent would be inclined to give a comp assignment day of, but you never know.

JonNYC Dec 16, 2015 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL (Post 25875631)
My apologies. I'm not non-elite (and haven't been for over a decade) nor have I redeem for TATL Y on AA MCE-equipped metal so my apologies. That does seem odd though, and thanks for the correction. It's likely not high on AA's list though but you'd think any ancillary revenue would be good. That said it could be interesting if OP tried calling and offered to purchase MCE or went to an airport agent. I imagine agent would be inclined to give a comp assignment day of, but you never know.

By the time it's in the hands of airport agent day of, it's different (although availability would probably be an issue.) Calling in before then will do nothing, as was explained, they can't do it.

AAerSTL Dec 16, 2015 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 25875658)
By the time it's in the hands of airport agent day of, it's different (although availability would probably be an issue.) Calling in before then will do nothing, as was explained, they can't do it.

I'm still surprised they haven't fixed it from a pure systems and merchandizing perspective. Heck they still allow you to purchase RDMs on awards (but at a fairly high 3 CPM+ rate).

I've had no issue getting MCE assignments on AA/AS/BA/US redemptions for travel on AA metal as an EP.

JonNYC Dec 16, 2015 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL (Post 25875677)
I'm still surprised they haven't fixed it from a pure systems and merchandizing perspective. Heck they still allow you to purchase RDMs on awards (but at a fairly high 3 CPM+ rate).

I'd say no less than 3 years ago I was told "want to fix it, for sure, but hasn't made it to top of list" Charging for MCE automatically triggers a couple of fees or taxes or whatever (ticket is no longer "free") and they system can't handle that for some reason.

It's kinda stupid-- and leaves money on the table for sure-- but that's how it be.