Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight departing one year, arriving or returning next year - when will miles credit?

Flight departing one year, arriving or returning next year - when will miles credit?

Old Oct 20, 16, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM
Good luck. Hope they give you some routing options. I got someone in Hong Kong at the moment on an extended layover (23 hours originally - now changed to more like 14 hours before she is off to the final destination HKT). She departed LAX yesterday to HKG.
Typhoon is supposed to hit late Friday afternoon (HK Time). Quantas already cancelled all flights as well. Some ferry service has been shut down as well. And the train service could be next starting late morning Friday.
Old Oct 20, 16, 9:31 am
formerly AtomicLush

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Platinum Pro (DH = EXP), Delta Gold
Originally Posted by fedechat View Post
For IRROPS, the best option is get rerouted in the airport, most of the time they will be able to give you more options that calling their CS.
That isn't necessarily true. I had a trip in vain issue, and the airport agents couldn't do a thing. They told me to call CS. Luckily I got a good CS and she rerouted me. Mr. AtomicLush also had IRROPS issues a few months ago traveling to Singapore (there's a thread somewhere on here) and airport agents would not assist other than telling him to keep flying to the next destination...each destination he went to, he missed his scheduled flight. It was like chasing his tail. It wasn't until he got to NRT, that they saw what was going on and actually booked him to his destination on another carrier to not lose more time. Airport assistance is hit or miss (just like calling CS).
Old Oct 20, 16, 10:15 am

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by fedechat View Post
For IRROPS, the best option is get rerouted in the airport, most of the time they will be able to give you more options that calling their CS.
And in my experience, most CX airport agents are well-trained.
Old Oct 20, 16, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL 1MM/SM, HH Gold, AClub Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
Originally Posted by FlytheTail View Post
I'm in the same situation; flight booked in F was just canceled and there are no options today, everything is full or canceled. I asked about going across the Atlantic but the agent said my award didn't include TATL travel. Not sure what to do at the moment.
I got routed on AA and ANA. Although I'm in business, I think it's the best I could have hoped for. I'm pleased that they went out of their network and that I'll still arrive on the same day. At the airport, they did check BA but J and F were supposedly full. It just shows there aren't many partners to SE Asia other than CX.
Old Oct 20, 16, 11:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I got routed on AA and ANA. Although I'm in business, I think it's the best I could have hoped for. I'm pleased that they went out of their network and that I'll still arrive on the same day. At the airport, they did check BA but J and F were supposedly full. It just shows there aren't many partners to SE Asia other than CX.
Don't overlook asking AA for Original Routing Credit - though it may be complicated by having CX rerouted you instead of AA.
Old Oct 20, 16, 11:06 am

Where did you get rerouted? At the airport? or AA? or CX?

I have an AA J award PVG-HKG-YVR on Oct 21. The first segment is still on schedule but HKG-YVR segment is cancelled.

Wondering if I shall still wait on the phone with CX (been already waiting for > 1 hour), or I can call AA? Or maybe go to PVG in hope the agent can rebook me to other carrier?
Old Oct 20, 16, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tonywush View Post

I have an AA J award PVG-HKG-YVR on Oct 21. The first segment is still on schedule but HKG-YVR segment is cancelled.

Wondering if I shall still wait on the phone with CX (been already waiting for > 1 hour), or I can call AA? Or maybe go to PVG in hope the agent can rebook me to other carrier?
Do not call AA, as we mentioned above. Either stay oh hold with CX or head to PVG early since your first PVG-HKG segment is still operating. CX has no problems rebooking you onto other carriers, but you need to speak with a CX agent, not AA.
Old Oct 20, 16, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Don't overlook asking AA for Original Routing Credit - though it may be complicated by having CX rerouted you instead of AA.
When I was in that exact scenario, CX airport agents were good at rerouting on other other carriers. And AA did not balk at ORC, but OP's MMV.
Old Oct 21, 16, 2:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL 1MM/SM, HH Gold, AClub Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
Originally Posted by tonywush View Post
I called AA twice and neither phone agent provided good options. So, I took the chance and showed up at the airport and an AA agent gave me the option. My first segment was on AA and it was an AA ticket, so I checked in with AA. I didn't attempt to contact CX.
Old Oct 25, 16, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
When is it appropriate to ask for assistance during IRROPS?

Had one of "those" days with AA yesterday.

Flying (VIE)-LHR-LAX-DEN. Early in the morning, LHR-LAX was delayed initially 1 hr 45 minutes (our inbound was supposed to be from Miami, but got changed to from LAX, I believe due to an AA cancellation at LHR).

I had given myself a 3.5 hour connection at LAX so I could try out the Qantas lounge, not because I don't trust AA's OTP. Anyways, I noticed the inbound was still a bit ways out, and not expecting to have an AA 773 be turned around in 10-15 minutes, tried to see if I could be rerouted on AA 6170 (BA 219, nontstop to DEN). The AA lounge folks said they wouldn't do that because I had plenty of time in LA to connect.

At the gate, I had asked another agent (I don't know what the persons role was, there's lots of people in the gate area) the same question, and he told me it would cost me $400 to make the change. He asked what I was worried about and I said My 4 hour connection was down to 2, and within that 2 I would need to deplane (at TBIT), go through immigration, change terminals, , re clear security, and then take another shuttle bus to the remote terminal to board the last flight of the night to Denver. He said MCT was 90 minutes at LAX so I was fine (which BTW I did end up violating).

We took off a little over 2 hours late, and of course once we landed in LAX, waited on the ground for 45 minutes since we had another AA plane at our gate. My almost 4 hour connection now down to 1. I ended up making it only due to the fact I have Global Entry, know the layout of LAX, and hustled.

I don't think my request was unreasonable (especially as an Executive Plat too). The Lounge Agent at LHR did confirm that there was space available, but his manger was the one who said no.

I don't think looking for a reroute with a 2 hour delay is unreasonable (onto an AA codeshare), especially when there was the possibility of more delays, since AA doesn't like to post delays until right before departure.

So unless I want to make sure I build in multi-hour connections at airports, when is it reasonable to start asking for reaccomodations? United was pretty good to me in this regard, with delays after an hour allowing me to start looking at options automatically on the app. In my scenario, I was trying to be proactive, but got nowhere. If an initial 2 hour delay isn't appropriate to ask for assistance, what is? Only when you are guaranteed to miss a connection?
Old Oct 25, 16, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I think the 2 hour delay should have been cause to allow your requested change. Poor form on their part.
Old Oct 25, 16, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
You should've called the exp desk, they're usually pretty good at irrops rebooking. But they're better at rebooking in their own metal like through ORD.
Old Oct 25, 16, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Eh, I kind of understand why they declined to rebook you - even at the time of departure, there was plenty of time to make the connection.

Of course given the rampant delays, AA should be bending over backwards to accommodate its passengers, particularly its most loyal ones, before they become extinct.
Old Oct 25, 16, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Yeah, even though 2 hours in LAX is really, really tight (you would have been screwed if you checked a bag, for example), I think from the supervisor's perspective, 2 hours still met the MCT, so they didn't want to rebook you... it's really at their discretion.

I think if you asked for DFW or ORD on AA metal, you probably would have had better luck...
Old Oct 25, 16, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM),AS MVP Gold 75K, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, DL Plat Medallion, MH Enrich Platinum
If the schedule is over MCT, they have no obligation. The check in desk at Term 3 has been quite pleasant to deal with and has rebooked me (via ORD) when I had similar issues more than once. Otherwise as "himma" advised, I would have contacted AA Exp on the phone. Lounge personnel in LHR have no desire to do more than they have to. They have their own jobs to perform. I am not sure the gate agents are allowed to do re-bookings when there are no MCT violations (or even when there are).

Search this Thread