Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

MODERATOR NOTE

NOTE: This thread is exclusively for q&a, discussion about security procedures encountered by AA passengers. General discussion about airport security properly belongs in the Travel Safety / Security fora, particularly the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate subforum. Link.

The 2017 enhanced security interviewing general discussion is New passenger screening "interviews" to US, starting Oct 26/2017

As of Thursday, 26 Oct 2017 the procedures described below have been expanded to all airlines and departure points to the USA, required to avoid the alternative ban on personal electronic devices larger than a mobile phone that was originally imposed. By October 26 2017 these have been implemented network-wide by AA and most airlines. A few airlines were granted extensions until mid-January 2018.

Be sure to allow yourself plenty of time to complete these additional procedures, which may include all procedures detailed below, including interviews, deeper scrutiny of documents, carryon baggage and personal items, including explosives detection swabbing of electronic devices.

Link to Reuters article, 29 June 2017

Link to Time article, 25 Oct 2017

Link to USA Today article, 25 Oct 2017

Security procedures for those departing internationally to the USA, particularly since 11 Sep 2001, have been more extensive. The U. S. Department of Homeland Security requires ALL airlines perform more extensive passenger screening of USA-bound passengers. (AA began in Europe with ICTS International a Dutch firm founded by former Israeli Shin Bet (internal security) and El Al personnel. In Europe, when you have been cleared (at or near the gate generally) they will affix a sticker (base and letter colors may vary by day, etc.) marked "ICTS" to your passport cover.)

Passenger questioning generally includes a first layer of questions, usually asked by check-in staff, that include such items as "Who packed your baggage?", "Has your baggage been in your possession since it was packed?", "What electronic devices do you have?", "Have you had any repaired while on your trip?"

A second layer of questions may include requests for more detailed information about you and your travels, such as "What do you do for a living?", "What company do you work for?", "What's the name of your CEO?", "How many times a year do you travel through XYZ?", "Where did you stay?", "What's your favorite restaurant in ....?", "Tell me about your best ever holiday?", "describe your neighborhood" and include questions about your home address, neighborhood, children, etc. To some people these questions might appear intrusive; others may feel the body language, tone and language used are inappropriate in some way.

These second layer questions were previously asked by contract security personnel, but now might be asked by airline check-in staff as well. Note the behavior of the passenger is observed and may be emphasized over answer content. Failure to reply with requested information or refusal may result in more extensive procedures.

Be aware: it has been verified the agents have the ability to issue your boarding pass with "SSSS", meaning you will get "heavy" screening. Several people have described "giving lip" or declining to answer agent second layer questions for various reasons and getting SSSS.

Though USA-bound passengers are generally screened at or prior to entering the gate area for departure, additional screening may include more extensive questioning by AA or contracted security personnel and / or more screening of possessions. This may be entering or at the gate area, or even at temporary stations set up at the gate or on the boarding bridge; passengers may be selected randomly, or from lists that may include other countries one has visited.

Other procedures may be used at other airports for departing passengers boarding to the USA. Procedures may intensify or lessen as influenced by current security status or information in possession of local, airport, airline or other security and intelligence entities.

More extensive security suggest giving yourself more time to process these enhanced procedures.

Please refrain from altering this moderator note.
Airports initially used by AA included because of different, more thorough etc. security included:

AMS - Amsterdam, The Netherlands: USA-bound AA passengers are reported to undergo airline security contractor questioning at check-in or when transiting.

BOG - Bogotá, Colombia: USA-bound AA passengers are reported to undergo more intense, even aggressive, questioning even from than other Colombian airports served by AA in 2016.

BRU - Brussels, Belgium: a terror bombing at departures 22 Mar 2016 has impacted BRU and security procedures have changed and intensified as it slowly reopens.

DUB - Dublin, Ireland: AA passengers departing to the USA pass through airport security to the airside departures area with shops and lounges - followed by US Customs and Border Protection (customs and immigration) formalities and TSA security, as this is one of several pre-clearance airports (the aircraft arrives in the USA as a domestic flight). Please discuss DUB in the dedicated thread - link.

LHR - Some members report more extensive and intrusive questioning of AA USA-bound passengers. It doesn't seem different than questioning that has been used on departing passengers elsewhere (e.g. AMS, BRU, CDG, FCO, FRA, MAD in the wiki author's experience), but the intensity could vary - influenced by current security status or information in possession of local, airport, airline or other security and intelligence entities.

MEX - México City, Mexico: Hand baggage inspection tables are generally set up at the jetbridge for further examination of documents and carry-on items. Though passengers are said to be randomly selected, the first passengers boarding are often selected.
Updated October 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm honestly surprised at the number of people who are totally ok with giving a complete stranger such personal information. The neighborhood you live and work in? Really? You'd never give a stranger on the street or a bar that kind of information, so why give it to an airline employee that you don't know? Assuming they won't use that information for other than its intended purpose is foolish.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:07 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by Kate2015
I'm honestly surprised at the number of people who are totally ok with giving a complete stranger such personal information. The neighborhood you live and work in? Really? You'd never give a stranger on the street or a bar that kind of information, so why give it to an airline employee that you don't know? Assuming they won't use that information for other than its intended purpose is foolish.
Assuming they will is... delusional. They ask these questions to dozens of people during their shifts, they never write anything down, they do not LISTEN to the content of your answer, it is HOW you react to the questions that they LOOK at. You are not THAT important, get used to it. I have seen people pulled from the lines, I hope I'll see more.

See my post 37.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Assuming they will is... delusional. They ask these questions to dozens of people during their shifts, they never write anything down, they do not LISTEN to the content of your answer, it is HOW you react to the questions that they LOOK at. You are not THAT important, get used to it. I have seen people pulled from the lines, I hope I'll see more.

See my post 37.
Who said it's about being important? It's about personal security, which I understand isn't everyone's thing - just look at social media - but for some of us, it's very important.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DC Mike
Hi all

I flew from Heathrow to the States yesterday on AA and encountered something new at the check-in desk. I'm curious for more information.

The line for regular check-in/bag drop was about 75 people deep. The preferred status line (not the special first class line) had about seven people in it. I got into the preferred line and was surprised at how much the agents seemed to be chatting with each customer, MUCH more than normal, when there were clearly people waiting.

When I reached the counter, the agent took my passport and then started to ask a series of increasingly personal questions. Where in the States do you live (I don't, I live here), where "here" do you live (in London), and where do you live in London (specific neighbourhood), what are you travelling to the States for (for Christmas), who are you spending Christmas with, and what do you do here in London (I work in X industry), and what do you do for them (I am a consultant, in that industry), what's the name of your company, where is your office (Central London), where in London (near Covent Garden), etc.

I was getting a bit irritated what I considered to be rather invasive questions (especially while I needed to get through security and do work) so I asked what was prompting all these rather personal questions. The agent then said "it is part of a new security procedure, it's for flights to America."

It became apparent that's why all the agents were taking so long, and why the regular check-in line was so long.

Does anyone know more about this new process, is it required by TSA or some other body, why agents are the ones doing this (no offence, but I wouldn't've envisioned an AA check-in agent would be trained in assessing threats or risks), etc.?
TSA-wanted-and-approved "additional security measures", but even before TSA, they were USG-wanted-and-approved "additional security measures"

US airlines, including AA, have had this stuff going on intermittently over the years at LHR when doing landslide check-in, but it has not been there with the frequency and consistency that other EU/EEA airports have had this when flying on US carriers from elsewhere in Europe. For years now, AA has been more consistently/frequently had contractors ask these questions of passengers doing airside check-in with AA flight connections at LHR.

Note that even with these "additional security measures" multiple terrorists have managed to fly on AA and other US airlines from Europe to the US, and this has happened despite these questions. The ICTS stickers on their passports have been an indication that they went through the "additional security measures" and were questioned.

It's mostly a dog and pony show done in the name of "security", all with the US governmental stamp of approval.

I would rather they stop spending money on questioning passengers with valid travel docs and instead use those resources to more effectively physically screen all passengers, baggage, cargo and planes for contraband weapons, explosives and incendiaries. And to effectively interdict contraband weapons, explosives, incendiaries from getting on planes doesn't require these passenger questions. But those looking "to feel safe" seem to love a "show of force" in the name of "security", all while under-appreciating that the wasting of resources on passenger questioning diverts resources that could be better used to do physical searches for say explosives. Go figure.

<redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; Dec 18, 2015 at 2:13 am Reason: Quote of and response to deleted content
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:13 am

Who said it's about being important? It's about personal security, which I understand isn't everyone's thing - just look at social media - but for some of us, it's very important.
... and I've yet to be asked a question that could conceivably breach personal security even if they did remember my answer which is highly unlikely.

If you work for an organization or agency that you should not openly disclose then you will already have been briefed/trained how to answer such questions appropriately.

Once again, the truth and accuracy of your answers is not what is being tested...
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:45 am

Does this interaction have any effect on your immigration experience once you arrive in the US? (I would guess, yes)

I had the same line of questioning in CDG a year or so ago and the guy was VERY rude. This really bothered me. In turn, I asked him who he was and why he was asking all these questions. He was not at the check-in counter but asking people questions like this while we waited in line to check in. He said "I am US immigration" (although he was wearing a Delta badge). Anyway, it appeared he was annoyed by my questioning his "authority". Eventually when we arrived in the US the immigration officer in the US was also quite rude and used an aggressive (I'd say accusatory?) line of questioning. It was rather unpleasant especially after a long haul in delta economy. In the end, it was all good and I was approved for entry.

The next time I went to the US a few months later the check in staff were polite, ICTS sticker guys were also very polite (I too was polite in return of course..) and there was no trouble. US immigration was smooth with no issues.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Just curious to understand how these guys can flag or not flag you and based on what.. My anecdotal experience suggests that it has to do with "behavior" to a certain extent.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<redacted>

Originally Posted by lhioseddy
Does this interaction have any effect on your immigration experience once you arrive in the US? (I would guess, yes)
For most individual passengers on these flights, the ICTS interaction has no impact on how the US CBP will interact with them on arrival to the US.

If you had interaction at CDG with something like US CBP personnel engaged in the Immigration Advisory Program, then the dynamic may be different.

Last edited by Microwave; Dec 18, 2015 at 2:15 am
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Connected through LHR at the end of November, with no noticeable difference in the questions.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by lhioseddy

I had the same line of questioning in CDG a year or so ago and the guy was VERY rude. This really bothered me. In turn, I asked him who he was and why he was asking all these questions. He was not at the check-in counter but asking people questions like this while we waited in line to check in. He said "I am US immigration" (although he was wearing a Delta badge). Anyway, it appeared he was annoyed by my questioning his "authority". Eventually when we arrived in the US the immigration officer in the US was also quite rude and used an aggressive (I'd say accusatory?) line of questioning. It was rather unpleasant especially after a long haul in delta economy. In the end, it was all good and I was approved for entry.

The next time I went to the US a few months later the check in staff were polite, ICTS sticker guys were also very polite (I too was polite in return of course..) and there was no trouble. US immigration was smooth with no issues.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Just curious to understand how these guys can flag or not flag you and based on what.. My anecdotal experience suggests that it has to do with "behavior" to a certain extent.
Well, I had somewhat of a similar experience - earlier this year I was in the US for about 3 weeks and some of the time was spent doing MRs on international trips. So, at least half of the time I was entering, I was asked a whole bunch of questions that seemed to be going off a list. They thoroughly inspected my bags, too, of course and eventually, I was let in. But I found this process very invasive. At the time, I was concerned about subsequent visits to the US as I don't know if those interactions are being stored somewhere in a file for people.

However, my recent return proved so uneventful that the agent just asked me how long I was staying and that was it. So, I don't know what to think of this. Based on everything mentioned, it seems like something appears to be done to ensure security but I'm not sure how effective these approaches are. I know I would think twice before venturing out on international MRs going through the US.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by ccengct
Some of the standard questions have changed, they ask more questions, and the questions are being asked by the check-in agent instead of a separate security screener. I've seen it at FRA and LHR.
Really interesting.... Please tell us what was "standard" and how has that changed?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
So, check in online and skip this?
You could check in on line and travel with carry on only maybe but at some point you have to show you're passport to the airline before boarding and may be asked questions then. If they airline lets you board without a passport they get fined big bucks.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
What they DON'T know is whether you are you or someone posing as you. Have you ever thought that "You" could check-in with "your" baggage and board the aircraft, but that your body could be discovered two hours later in a parking lot or bathroom with no sign saying who that body is and your documents stolen and used by an impersonator ?

In this day and age, who is dumb enough to question or criticize security measures which, no doubt, have been devised and discussed by people whose job it is ? This really makes me angry.

PS: I lost two friends in the Paris attacks last month.
Boarding the aircraft, one would have to show passport/other ID, so no one else that stole your documents/impersonated you could board the aircraft.
Condolences on your loss.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Can also confirm that this has been going on for a while. It used to be "ICTS" and they'd put a sticker on your passport, and you'd know they were "security" people explicitly asking you questions (e.g. did you pack your own bag, etc).

Checked in last month at LHR flagship checkin, and the agent was definitely having a casual conversation with me that turned into more and more prying information gathering. I drew the line at "Did you do any work while you were staying in the UK?" This was probably question #15 or so she had asked me. I stopped her and told her the questions were getting quite personal for an airline employee to be asking and that if she was doing a security screening of some sort, I suggested she get a security officer to do it. She handed me my boarding pass and said "Have a good flight."
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In case you haven't noticed, these people are employees of ICTS, the company AA contracts with for security services (as stated upthread, trained by Shin Bet and El Al), or AA employees - who already have access to some personal information about us; these are not "strangers on the street".

Poor security and losing an aircraft- that's foolish.

Cofyknsult, my condolences.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by josmul123
Can also confirm that this has been going on for a while. It used to be "ICTS" and they'd put a sticker on your passport, and you'd know they were "security" people explicitly asking you questions (e.g. did you pack your own bag, etc).

Checked in last month at LHR flagship checkin, and the agent was definitely having a casual conversation with me that turned into more and more prying information gathering. I drew the line at "Did you do any work while you were staying in the UK?" This was probably question #15 or so she had asked me. I stopped her and told her the questions were getting quite personal for an airline employee to be asking and that if she was doing a security screening of some sort, I suggested she get a security officer to do it. She handed me my boarding pass and said "Have a good flight."
I feel like you handled it like I would have.

I don't mind a casual conversation, and even a few cursory questions - the old "Business or Pleasure" line, where are you headed today, etc.

But inquiring as to what I do for work, if any work was done on my trip, and particulars about my stay -those are questions I would only answer upon request from a uniformed/credentialed employee of the US CBP/Immigration, as part of some secondary and required questioning, where a declination of answering is not necessarily an option if you wish to board your flight.

Like many have mentioned, it is how you answer and not necessarily what you answer with, that will be scrutinized. A polite, but firm declination when the questions reach a level of privacy you're not comfortable sharing with whoever is questioning should remedy the situation and have you on your way. Or at least that is my theory and will be my application, until proven not to be a good way of going about it.

I can appreciate the "attempt" at making the flying public more secure and safe. And the aforementioned points that this, even though it is certainly not a 100% surefire way to solve problems related to securing the flying public, is a success in and of itself if it prevents just 1 incident.

Some will be happy to answer any and all questions, others might hold reservations about sharing their private info. To each their own, I suppose.
samm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.