Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

MODERATOR NOTE

NOTE: This thread is exclusively for q&a, discussion about security procedures encountered by AA passengers. General discussion about airport security properly belongs in the Travel Safety / Security fora, particularly the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate subforum. Link.

The 2017 enhanced security interviewing general discussion is New passenger screening "interviews" to US, starting Oct 26/2017

As of Thursday, 26 Oct 2017 the procedures described below have been expanded to all airlines and departure points to the USA, required to avoid the alternative ban on personal electronic devices larger than a mobile phone that was originally imposed. By October 26 2017 these have been implemented network-wide by AA and most airlines. A few airlines were granted extensions until mid-January 2018.

Be sure to allow yourself plenty of time to complete these additional procedures, which may include all procedures detailed below, including interviews, deeper scrutiny of documents, carryon baggage and personal items, including explosives detection swabbing of electronic devices.

Link to Reuters article, 29 June 2017

Link to Time article, 25 Oct 2017

Link to USA Today article, 25 Oct 2017

Security procedures for those departing internationally to the USA, particularly since 11 Sep 2001, have been more extensive. The U. S. Department of Homeland Security requires ALL airlines perform more extensive passenger screening of USA-bound passengers. (AA began in Europe with ICTS International a Dutch firm founded by former Israeli Shin Bet (internal security) and El Al personnel. In Europe, when you have been cleared (at or near the gate generally) they will affix a sticker (base and letter colors may vary by day, etc.) marked "ICTS" to your passport cover.)

Passenger questioning generally includes a first layer of questions, usually asked by check-in staff, that include such items as "Who packed your baggage?", "Has your baggage been in your possession since it was packed?", "What electronic devices do you have?", "Have you had any repaired while on your trip?"

A second layer of questions may include requests for more detailed information about you and your travels, such as "What do you do for a living?", "What company do you work for?", "What's the name of your CEO?", "How many times a year do you travel through XYZ?", "Where did you stay?", "What's your favorite restaurant in ....?", "Tell me about your best ever holiday?", "describe your neighborhood" and include questions about your home address, neighborhood, children, etc. To some people these questions might appear intrusive; others may feel the body language, tone and language used are inappropriate in some way.

These second layer questions were previously asked by contract security personnel, but now might be asked by airline check-in staff as well. Note the behavior of the passenger is observed and may be emphasized over answer content. Failure to reply with requested information or refusal may result in more extensive procedures.

Be aware: it has been verified the agents have the ability to issue your boarding pass with "SSSS", meaning you will get "heavy" screening. Several people have described "giving lip" or declining to answer agent second layer questions for various reasons and getting SSSS.

Though USA-bound passengers are generally screened at or prior to entering the gate area for departure, additional screening may include more extensive questioning by AA or contracted security personnel and / or more screening of possessions. This may be entering or at the gate area, or even at temporary stations set up at the gate or on the boarding bridge; passengers may be selected randomly, or from lists that may include other countries one has visited.

Other procedures may be used at other airports for departing passengers boarding to the USA. Procedures may intensify or lessen as influenced by current security status or information in possession of local, airport, airline or other security and intelligence entities.

More extensive security suggest giving yourself more time to process these enhanced procedures.

Please refrain from altering this moderator note.
Airports initially used by AA included because of different, more thorough etc. security included:

AMS - Amsterdam, The Netherlands: USA-bound AA passengers are reported to undergo airline security contractor questioning at check-in or when transiting.

BOG - Bogotá, Colombia: USA-bound AA passengers are reported to undergo more intense, even aggressive, questioning even from than other Colombian airports served by AA in 2016.

BRU - Brussels, Belgium: a terror bombing at departures 22 Mar 2016 has impacted BRU and security procedures have changed and intensified as it slowly reopens.

DUB - Dublin, Ireland: AA passengers departing to the USA pass through airport security to the airside departures area with shops and lounges - followed by US Customs and Border Protection (customs and immigration) formalities and TSA security, as this is one of several pre-clearance airports (the aircraft arrives in the USA as a domestic flight). Please discuss DUB in the dedicated thread - link.

LHR - Some members report more extensive and intrusive questioning of AA USA-bound passengers. It doesn't seem different than questioning that has been used on departing passengers elsewhere (e.g. AMS, BRU, CDG, FCO, FRA, MAD in the wiki author's experience), but the intensity could vary - influenced by current security status or information in possession of local, airport, airline or other security and intelligence entities.

MEX - México City, Mexico: Hand baggage inspection tables are generally set up at the jetbridge for further examination of documents and carry-on items. Though passengers are said to be randomly selected, the first passengers boarding are often selected.
Updated October 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
So, check in online and skip this?
To clarify, I'd checked in online but had to drop a checked bag. So this was just to hand the bag over to them.

I'm all for safety and security. It just felt a bit bizarre that it was a "casual chat" that clearly wasn't.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I was asked all of these questions back in the beginning of Nov. at LHR and felt really uncomfortable answering them. I was very close to telling the agent that it was none of her business. Next trip I think that I will.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by airplanegod
No, i'm not. Why should I be held up to answer some ridiculous questions that make no difference in security when United, British Airways, Delta, and Virgin Atlantic do not and would have me through the airport faster?
Why do you think it makes no difference? As noted earlier, it is important to know how someone behaves when asked the questions. Have people been denied boarding or subjected to additional screening based on how they respond? YES
Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I was asked all of these questions back in the beginning of Nov. at LHR and felt really uncomfortable answering them. I was very close to telling the agent that it was none of her business. Next trip I think that I will.
Ah, but saying it is none of their business is also be considered a valid response.
Of course, I don't know what happens at that point. What they are trying to determine is how you answer, not what you answer. For example, why if they detect you trying to lie about your job? AA isn't the only airline that does this. I have been asked similar questions by BA, El Al, United, etc
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by mvoight
Ah, but saying it is none of their business is also be considered a valid response.
Of course, I don't know what happens at that point. What they are trying to determine is how you answer, not what you answer. For example, why if they detect you trying to lie about your job? AA isn't the only airline that does this. I have been asked similar questions by BA, El Al, United, etc
Yeah, I guess that I'll find out. I've never had any questions with BA. Could you imagine how much fun it would be to connect in LHR if BA questioned every passenger?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Yeah, I guess that I'll find out. I've never had any questions with BA. Could you imagine how much fun it would be to connect in LHR if BA questioned every passenger?
It is only to the USA where the USA defined screening would take place. Going elsewhere in the world, no questioning
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:25 pm

This sort of behavior analysis screening has been used for a long time in Israeli airports. Honestly, I have more faith in it than a baggage XR, given the frequency with which test guns and bombs pass undetected.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
<redacted>

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is only to the USA where the USA defined screening would take place. Going elsewhere in the world, no questioning
BA does no such questioning on LHR-US bound flights.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 16, 2015 at 11:33 am Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content and reply
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Suppose this is a lame attempt to copy the El Al/Israeli security procedures, but there the inquisitors are trained in psych warfare and not airline employees who've taken a 2-hour "course". It's definitely an invasion of privacy but these days one has few rights to privacy if you want to board an airplane...US paranoia knows no limits, but it's always done in a money-saving half-assed away.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:14 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
So what are these "new" questions? The ones you mentioned seemed to be the usual questions.
Am I missing something here? I've been flying AA/DL from CDG or LHR since 2011 and this has been the standard procedure, every time. UA also has the same procedure, and in fact, any other US-based airline will do the same
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Some of the standard questions have changed, they ask more questions, and the questions are being asked by the check-in agent instead of a separate security screener. I've seen it at FRA and LHR.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
IME from Europe to the USA on US-flagged carriers, this questioning is consistent. Not sure what all the alarm is about.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:01 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rwoman
IME from Europe to the USA on US-flagged carriers, this questioning is consistent. Not sure what all the alarm is about.
Exactly. The fact that now check-in agents are asking instead of a dedicated security staff doesn't change anything. This is the way it's done in many countries already.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SDQBound
Exactly. The fact that now check-in agents are asking instead of a dedicated security staff doesn't change anything. This is the way it's done in many countries already.
Yeah, as I recall, this questioning happened before I moved to Europe and has certainly been the case in the 6+ years I've been here when on US-flagged carriers.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airplanegod
I think a change of airline would be in order. If i'm going to be held up at check-in to answer some ridiculous 1990's security questions, i'm going to pick UA/DL/BA/VS to bring me over from London to the US.
Then you're restricted to BA and VS as UA and DL do the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.