Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

MODERATOR NOTE

NOTE: This thread is exclusively for q&a, discussion about security procedures encountered by AA passengers. General discussion about airport security properly belongs in the Travel Safety / Security fora, particularly the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate subforum. Link.

The 2017 enhanced security interviewing general discussion is New passenger screening "interviews" to US, starting Oct 26/2017

As of Thursday, 26 Oct 2017 the procedures described below have been expanded to all airlines and departure points to the USA, required to avoid the alternative ban on personal electronic devices larger than a mobile phone that was originally imposed. By October 26 2017 these have been implemented network-wide by AA and most airlines. A few airlines were granted extensions until mid-January 2018.

Be sure to allow yourself plenty of time to complete these additional procedures, which may include all procedures detailed below, including interviews, deeper scrutiny of documents, carryon baggage and personal items, including explosives detection swabbing of electronic devices.

Link to Reuters article, 29 June 2017

Link to Time article, 25 Oct 2017

Link to USA Today article, 25 Oct 2017

Security procedures for those departing internationally to the USA, particularly since 11 Sep 2001, have been more extensive. The U. S. Department of Homeland Security requires ALL airlines perform more extensive passenger screening of USA-bound passengers. (AA began in Europe with ICTS International a Dutch firm founded by former Israeli Shin Bet (internal security) and El Al personnel. In Europe, when you have been cleared (at or near the gate generally) they will affix a sticker (base and letter colors may vary by day, etc.) marked "ICTS" to your passport cover.)

Passenger questioning generally includes a first layer of questions, usually asked by check-in staff, that include such items as "Who packed your baggage?", "Has your baggage been in your possession since it was packed?", "What electronic devices do you have?", "Have you had any repaired while on your trip?"

A second layer of questions may include requests for more detailed information about you and your travels, such as "What do you do for a living?", "What company do you work for?", "What's the name of your CEO?", "How many times a year do you travel through XYZ?", "Where did you stay?", "What's your favorite restaurant in ....?", "Tell me about your best ever holiday?", "describe your neighborhood" and include questions about your home address, neighborhood, children, etc. To some people these questions might appear intrusive; others may feel the body language, tone and language used are inappropriate in some way.

These second layer questions were previously asked by contract security personnel, but now might be asked by airline check-in staff as well. Note the behavior of the passenger is observed and may be emphasized over answer content. Failure to reply with requested information or refusal may result in more extensive procedures.

Be aware: it has been verified the agents have the ability to issue your boarding pass with "SSSS", meaning you will get "heavy" screening. Several people have described "giving lip" or declining to answer agent second layer questions for various reasons and getting SSSS.

Though USA-bound passengers are generally screened at or prior to entering the gate area for departure, additional screening may include more extensive questioning by AA or contracted security personnel and / or more screening of possessions. This may be entering or at the gate area, or even at temporary stations set up at the gate or on the boarding bridge; passengers may be selected randomly, or from lists that may include other countries one has visited.

Other procedures may be used at other airports for departing passengers boarding to the USA. Procedures may intensify or lessen as influenced by current security status or information in possession of local, airport, airline or other security and intelligence entities.

More extensive security suggest giving yourself more time to process these enhanced procedures.

Please refrain from altering this moderator note.
Airports initially used by AA included because of different, more thorough etc. security included:

AMS - Amsterdam, The Netherlands: USA-bound AA passengers are reported to undergo airline security contractor questioning at check-in or when transiting.

BOG - Bogotá, Colombia: USA-bound AA passengers are reported to undergo more intense, even aggressive, questioning even from than other Colombian airports served by AA in 2016.

BRU - Brussels, Belgium: a terror bombing at departures 22 Mar 2016 has impacted BRU and security procedures have changed and intensified as it slowly reopens.

DUB - Dublin, Ireland: AA passengers departing to the USA pass through airport security to the airside departures area with shops and lounges - followed by US Customs and Border Protection (customs and immigration) formalities and TSA security, as this is one of several pre-clearance airports (the aircraft arrives in the USA as a domestic flight). Please discuss DUB in the dedicated thread - link.

LHR - Some members report more extensive and intrusive questioning of AA USA-bound passengers. It doesn't seem different than questioning that has been used on departing passengers elsewhere (e.g. AMS, BRU, CDG, FCO, FRA, MAD in the wiki author's experience), but the intensity could vary - influenced by current security status or information in possession of local, airport, airline or other security and intelligence entities.

MEX - México City, Mexico: Hand baggage inspection tables are generally set up at the jetbridge for further examination of documents and carry-on items. Though passengers are said to be randomly selected, the first passengers boarding are often selected.
Updated October 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Yes it has been pretty standard for US carriers, but it's now being expanded to non-US carriers. It was always one of the differentiators between flying a US based carrier and non-US based carrier eg "I prefer flying BA to AA out of LHR because of the security theater AA makes you go through at LHR."
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
You may also want to check out this thread in the TSS forum that deals with the specifics of the newest updates:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chec...26-2017-a.html
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by federernadal
So in the news today I saw that all US bound pax are subject to getting "interviewed" by airlines.

Hasnt this always been the case?

Everytime I fly through NRT on to DEN or DFW or ORD, I am pulled aside and they swab me and have even asked me to turn on my cell and stuff.

Is this common? It has been for me almost every single time. It could be because I dont have US passport.

What are your experiences?
Your experiences at NRT have not, afaik, been the norm for everyone flying to the USA.

This requirement was initially announced in June. It is part of the "deal" foreign airlines agreed to participate in so that US-bound passengers could continue bringing aboard personal electronic devices larger than mobile phones. Originally, AA began pretty much with these enhanced security screenings in certain airports in 2016. Please read the Wikipost at the top of this page.

Your query has been merged into this active thread.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 26, 2017 at 1:01 pm
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
So in the news today I saw that all US bound pax are subject to getting "interviewed" by airlines.

Everytime I fly through NRT on to DEN or DFW or ORD, I am pulled aside and they swab me and have even asked me to turn on my cell and stuff.

Is this common? It has been for me almost every single time. It could be because I dont have US passport.

I've never experienced any advanced scrutiny entering the US from NRT.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Datapoint from AA 288 on 10/23 PVG-ORD:

No pasture pancakes questions by AA contract personel

No pasture pancakes questions by AA personnel

No pasture pancakes questions by PRC security

No pasture pancakes questions by AA contract personnel, AA personnel, or PRC security at gate.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:56 pm

I had to Google the phrase "pasture pancakes."

This is quite reassuring news. I hope you had a pleasant flight from Shanghai.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:05 pm

Data points from CDG-USA 5/8-#49. 8/1-#45, & 9/26-49

Totally pasture pancakes questions by check-in agents. Job?, Who do you work for?, what is a financial security?, does it pay well?, why do you have an apartment here in Paris?, where did you eat while you are here?, etc.

No SSSS or special people rooms-I was patient and recognized it for what it was-totally ineffective pasture pancakes "street theatre".

YMMV
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:08 pm

"Does it pay well?"

"A lot more than Swissport."
andersonCooper and DCP2016 like this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mats
I had to Google the phrase "pasture pancakes."

This is quite reassuring news. I hope you had a pleasant flight from Shanghai.
MY Google search of "Pasture Pancakes" yielded something other than my intent. Think male bovine excrement.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott

Last time I flew out of NRT, NRT-DFW on AA, all passengers had their carry on bags searched at the gate during boarding. Any liquids over 3 ounces were confiscated.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:25 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
AA has been including mouthwash in the BC amenities kits. Has the MW been routinely confiscated (even if the kit has not been opened)?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Data points from CDG-USA 5/8-#49. 8/1-#45, & 9/26-49

Totally pasture pancakes questions by check-in agents. Job?, Who do you work for?, what is a financial security?, does it pay well?, why do you have an apartment here in Paris?, where did you eat while you are here?, etc.

No SSSS or special people rooms-I was patient and recognized it for what it was-totally ineffective pasture pancakes "street theatre".

YMMV
Those questions were mostly designed by ICTS, a Dutch security formed by ex-Israel Security Agency / "Shin Bet" and El Al personnel that AA contracts with. I suspect they're useful in their purpose given their origin and that they're possibly looking atbtheveffect the questions have as well as the answers.

AA considered doing something like this years ago and sent some AA staff to be trained in Israel. They ultimately canned the idea, but looks like they resuscitated the idea in certain airports a year ago. Now similar techniques are being used for passengers of all ~2,100 daily departures to the USA.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Austin787
Last time I flew out of NRT, NRT-DFW on AA, all passengers had their carry on bags searched at the gate during boarding. Any liquids over 3 ounces were confiscated.
When was this? Japan has never pulled this nonsense on any of the flights I have ever been on to the US. Last flight was HND-LAX on AA three weeks ago. It's one reason I prefer connecting through Japan rather than HKG.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JDiver
Now similar techniques are being used for passengers of all ~2,100 daily departures to the USA.
Not true, as many US-bound flights are still not having all the passengers asked these questions by security contractors (nor even by airline employees). ICTS is only one of the TSA-approved contractors used by carriers flying to the US.

And most of the kind of questions being asked when flying to the US on AA or other US airlines weren't asked by LY or Shin Bet. The questioning technique however does have a root in what LY and Israel has done, but they both cleared the wannabe shoe-bomber to fly (repeatedly at that), so it really shouldn't inspire a whole lot of confidence.

Originally Posted by nrr
AA has been including mouthwash in the BC amenities kits. Has the MW been routinely confiscated (even if the kit has not been opened)?
More times than not, when it comes to gate area checks this year and last year, they haven't cared about them IME. At the primary screening checkpoint, it's been somewhat more of an issue; but that varies greatly from airport to airport.

MW and toothpaste and lotions from amenity kits are subject to the liquid/gel/aerosol restrictions and screening procedures, but policy and practice aren't completely indistinguishable.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 27, 2017 at 5:43 am
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by nrr
In my experience, as long as it is under 3 ounces they don't confiscate.

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
When was this? Japan has never pulled this nonsense on any of the flights I have ever been on to the US. Last flight was HND-LAX on AA three weeks ago. It's one reason I prefer connecting through Japan rather than HKG.
2008. Maybe things have changed since then. Or maybe they select certain flights to have the gate screenings and my flight happened to be one of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.