Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

MODERATOR NOTE

NOTE: This thread is exclusively for q&a, discussion about security procedures encountered by AA passengers. General discussion about airport security properly belongs in the Travel Safety / Security fora, particularly the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate subforum. Link.

The 2017 enhanced security interviewing general discussion is New passenger screening "interviews" to US, starting Oct 26/2017

As of Thursday, 26 Oct 2017 the procedures described below have been expanded to all airlines and departure points to the USA, required to avoid the alternative ban on personal electronic devices larger than a mobile phone that was originally imposed. By October 26 2017 these have been implemented network-wide by AA and most airlines. A few airlines were granted extensions until mid-January 2018.

Be sure to allow yourself plenty of time to complete these additional procedures, which may include all procedures detailed below, including interviews, deeper scrutiny of documents, carryon baggage and personal items, including explosives detection swabbing of electronic devices.

Link to Reuters article, 29 June 2017

Link to Time article, 25 Oct 2017

Link to USA Today article, 25 Oct 2017

Security procedures for those departing internationally to the USA, particularly since 11 Sep 2001, have been more extensive. The U. S. Department of Homeland Security requires ALL airlines perform more extensive passenger screening of USA-bound passengers. (AA began in Europe with ICTS International a Dutch firm founded by former Israeli Shin Bet (internal security) and El Al personnel. In Europe, when you have been cleared (at or near the gate generally) they will affix a sticker (base and letter colors may vary by day, etc.) marked "ICTS" to your passport cover.)

Passenger questioning generally includes a first layer of questions, usually asked by check-in staff, that include such items as "Who packed your baggage?", "Has your baggage been in your possession since it was packed?", "What electronic devices do you have?", "Have you had any repaired while on your trip?"

A second layer of questions may include requests for more detailed information about you and your travels, such as "What do you do for a living?", "What company do you work for?", "What's the name of your CEO?", "How many times a year do you travel through XYZ?", "Where did you stay?", "What's your favorite restaurant in ....?", "Tell me about your best ever holiday?", "describe your neighborhood" and include questions about your home address, neighborhood, children, etc. To some people these questions might appear intrusive; others may feel the body language, tone and language used are inappropriate in some way.

These second layer questions were previously asked by contract security personnel, but now might be asked by airline check-in staff as well. Note the behavior of the passenger is observed and may be emphasized over answer content. Failure to reply with requested information or refusal may result in more extensive procedures.

Be aware: it has been verified the agents have the ability to issue your boarding pass with "SSSS", meaning you will get "heavy" screening. Several people have described "giving lip" or declining to answer agent second layer questions for various reasons and getting SSSS.

Though USA-bound passengers are generally screened at or prior to entering the gate area for departure, additional screening may include more extensive questioning by AA or contracted security personnel and / or more screening of possessions. This may be entering or at the gate area, or even at temporary stations set up at the gate or on the boarding bridge; passengers may be selected randomly, or from lists that may include other countries one has visited.

Other procedures may be used at other airports for departing passengers boarding to the USA. Procedures may intensify or lessen as influenced by current security status or information in possession of local, airport, airline or other security and intelligence entities.

More extensive security suggest giving yourself more time to process these enhanced procedures.

Please refrain from altering this moderator note.
Airports initially used by AA included because of different, more thorough etc. security included:

AMS - Amsterdam, The Netherlands: USA-bound AA passengers are reported to undergo airline security contractor questioning at check-in or when transiting.

BOG - Bogotá, Colombia: USA-bound AA passengers are reported to undergo more intense, even aggressive, questioning even from than other Colombian airports served by AA in 2016.

BRU - Brussels, Belgium: a terror bombing at departures 22 Mar 2016 has impacted BRU and security procedures have changed and intensified as it slowly reopens.

DUB - Dublin, Ireland: AA passengers departing to the USA pass through airport security to the airside departures area with shops and lounges - followed by US Customs and Border Protection (customs and immigration) formalities and TSA security, as this is one of several pre-clearance airports (the aircraft arrives in the USA as a domestic flight). Please discuss DUB in the dedicated thread - link.

LHR - Some members report more extensive and intrusive questioning of AA USA-bound passengers. It doesn't seem different than questioning that has been used on departing passengers elsewhere (e.g. AMS, BRU, CDG, FCO, FRA, MAD in the wiki author's experience), but the intensity could vary - influenced by current security status or information in possession of local, airport, airline or other security and intelligence entities.

MEX - México City, Mexico: Hand baggage inspection tables are generally set up at the jetbridge for further examination of documents and carry-on items. Though passengers are said to be randomly selected, the first passengers boarding are often selected.
Updated October 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Smile

Originally Posted by justforfun
At CDG a few months ago, after 5-6 other ridiculous questions:

agent: You have an interesting last name. Where is it from?
me: It's Greek.
agent: Do you speak Greek?
me: Yes.
agent: Can you say something for me in Greek?
me: No, I am not a monkey.

Sent to secondary where they took absolutely everything out of my carryons. Took 40 minutes at least. Last to board. Don't regret a thing.
^^^

Classic!!!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:21 am

Would anyone else be interested in writing a joint letter to Swissport and AAmerican? For those of you who have flown recently, it could be linked to a DOT complaint.

As much their questions can be hilarious, American is making an even greater mockery of our collective safety. I get the impression that they have no idea that their questions are unique to their airline.

I'd really like to get them to rethink their policy, and FlyerTalk has enough clout to at least start a dialogue.

I spoke to a Premium/5-Star/CK agent about it. He felt that it was a terrible policy from a customer service standpoint, and he suggested that more passengers approach American and Swissport as a customer service complaint.

Send me a message if you'd like to put something together. I'd rather take action than complain.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mats
...I get the impression that they have no idea that their questions are unique to their airline.
You really think that they are? (Unique to AA)
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
HaraSSSSment screening when flying US airlines to the US from abroad never came to a complete stop; rather it's now decades long practice when flying AA too.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
You really think that they are? (Unique to AA)
I think he knows it's not unique to AA. Either way, the intrusiveness of the questions is also not unique to AA.

When flying to the US on US airlines, even the most "enhanced" types of questioning being done by the US airlines/airlines' contractors in the name of "security" are not unique to AA.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 17, 2017 at 7:57 am
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:58 am

I should clarify.

The interviews are not at all unique to American Airlines, and existed before American even started flying to Europe.

The issue is that American's interviews are best described as "bizarre" and "intrusive."

In all of the years flying United, Delta (and Continental, TWA, USAir, Pan Am, and Northwest) across the Atlantic, the questions were just the usual: "Did you pack your bags yourself" variety.

The other airlines have not asked for names of children, names of pets, names of living and dying relatives, knowledge of the Greek language, names of school headmasters, relationships with supervisors and coworkers, etc.

(I'm excluding Israel from this discussion--different deal, separate controversies.)

Have these really insane questions occurred on anyone other than American Airlines?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:01 am
Suspended

Have these really insane questions occurred on anyone other than American Airlines?
I've witnessed some ridiculous questioning going on at AMS for DL-flying passengers. More than once I have seen the characters doing this (to DL passengers at AMS) even demanding that the passengers have illegal ID to show. AA truly is not unique in asking questions like this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Global Entry Bag Search?

Last month coming through LAX, post Global Entry clearance, they were searching bags - is this the new norm? Rather mitigates the whole point?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've witnessed some ridiculous questioning going on at AMS for DL-flying passengers. More than once I have seen the characters doing this (to DL passengers at AMS) even demanding that the passengers have illegal ID to show. AA truly is not unique in asking questions like this.
Yes...I had similar experience at AMS with Delta. The guy was asking some
bizarre questions and not trusting the answers. (Borderline insulting)
Probably trying to get raise out of me to see if I was harmless ??? It
was very unpleasant...

While at AA the questions are just weird and it feels like they are
not even listening to your answers. Not sure what they are getting out
of it ? They are also in my opinion NOT qualified people to do psych analysis...

F.A.

Last edited by flyalways; Aug 18, 2017 at 5:46 am
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
...I think he knows it's not unique to AA.
Why? You have no reason to think that:

...I get the impression that they have no idea that their questions are unique to their airline.
...Have these really insane questions occurred on anyone other than American Airlines?
It's established fact, yes, they have and do.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:18 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've flown from ZRH (Zurich) to the JFK several times in the last few months. I check-in using a kiosk and have only c/o, so I bypass the check-in counter, I present myself for questioning at the desk near the gate--doing this may minimize the "inane" questions noted in this thread. Lately the questions have been: who packed your luggage, did anyone give you anything to bring on the plane (old system) etc.
If I go into "super" minute detail, would that cause issues?:
Why do you like Luzern, me: transport museum, why do you like TM, me: the trains on display vs. "the circa 1905 Jungfrau first class rail car #729 , located next to the 1910 Brienz Rothorn #221..."
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:30 pm

To everyone, my apologies. It looks like I was mistaken that this was all American Airlines. I must just look or act innocently enough that I've only encountered highly personal and offensive questions on American.

Flysalways, I think that's part of my problem. It seems like a creepy sort of power trip, and I can't imagine how this benefits Swissport or American.

nrr, I will take the advice of being interrogated about my personal and professional life at the lounge or gate. Also, I think you should fumble around on your mobile phone and say, "Now I have a photo of car #729 ... no that's not it. Hold on. Oh wait. Oh, it's flipped around. Hold on a sec. Oh, that's #728 ... OMG you know else I like about Luzern? The Coop Supermarket. So in the first aisle, where they have flour, they also have sugar cubes..."

If they seem to not be paying attention, get all emotional: "You asked me why I like Luzern and you're not even LISTENING!" They'll be sorry they asked.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Why? You have no reason to think that:

The interviews are not at all unique to American Airlines, and existed before American even started flying to Europe.
Some people almost seem to not recall that they have been exposed to this discussion before and even accepted that this was not unique to AA.

Originally Posted by prw555
Last month coming through LAX, post Global Entry clearance, they were searching bags - is this the new norm? Rather mitigates the whole point?
It's neither new nor common, but it's been within the realm of the routine from time to time.

Originally Posted by flyalways
Yes...I had similar experience at AMS with Delta. The guy was asking some
bizarre questions and not trusting the answers. (Borderline insulting)
Probably trying to get raise out of me to see if I was harmless ??? It
was very unpleasant...

While at AA the questions are just weird and it feels like they are
not even listening to your answers. Not sure what they are getting out
of it ? They are also in my opinion qualified people to do psych analysis...

F.A.
Having relatively high and extensive frequent flyer status/history with the airline seems to increase the odds of avoiding the worst of these interactions. That is why the questions may come across as unique to an airline for some individual more than for other individuals. For example, I've never seen the AA "security" questioning in Europe ask AA passengers to present illegal ID, but I've repeatedly seen DL passengers at AMS being asked to present such illegal ID even as that may seem unique to DL -- and it is unique in some ways for some individuals flying DL out of AMS.

The ridiculous questions for being an AA pax (in Europe) with an almost casual ignoring of the answers from the pax is more to my liking than what I've seen happen to DL pax where the answers seem to too often just be an excuse for the questioners to try to provoke a hostile verbal response.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 18, 2017 at 3:58 am
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:45 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
If there's a general increase in security screening, I don't see it. I from from LHR yesterday and the security questioning seemed even less rigorous than usual. My spouse even had the dreaded "SSSS". The only real effect was a separate bag search after checking in at the actual gate. (However we anticipated this and, while in the CX lounge, offloaded most of her paraphernalia into my own non-SSSS carryon). But we never experienced any enhanced questioning (or really any questioning at all) while at LHR. Maybe it's our angelic aura?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
If there's a general increase in security screening, I don't see it. I from from LHR yesterday and the security questioning seemed even less rigorous than usual. My spouse even had the dreaded "SSSS". The only real effect was a separate bag search after checking in at the actual gate. (However we anticipated this and, while in the CX lounge, offloaded most of her paraphernalia into my own non-SSSS carryon). But we never experienced any enhanced questioning (or really any questioning at all) while at LHR. Maybe it's our angelic aura?
Mats isn't a 3.5M+ EXP but you are, right? Those kind of things can matter. Also, for at least a good part of the past three decades, AA and other US airline passengers at LHR haven't been as heavily hit by the questioning as AA passengers on the European mainland have been hit.

FWIW (or not), my experiences with "security" and these questions when flying AA out of LHR are no worse now than they've been for years and years at LHR.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HH Diamond.
Random Dumb 'security' questions asked at checkin out of the UK?

First off, I'm all for security and how necessary these things are, but this is not so much an annoyance but has become more of a humorous after dinner discussion amongst friends but I suppose it is quite alarming how inane this exercise is....
I have found, particularly flying on AA out of Manchester UK, at checkin the agent (contract groundstaff) asks the most random stupidly inane questions - that even the dumbest wrong doer could navigate around.
Some of my instances from the past 18 months:
"Thats a nice shirt Sir, where did you buy it?"
Me: 'it's Under Armour, I bought it in Baltimore, they have their HQ in Baltimore..."
"really sir? I didn't know that, where is Baltimore again?"

"Sir so you said you have just visited family and friends during this trip, which family and friends?"
me: "Gary, Ruth, Kevin, Lorraine, John, Sue, Big Dave, Fred and Henry.."
"very good sir"

"You say you live in Maryland, which is the nearest museum?"
me, " errm? The Decoy Museum, I suppose?"
"you suppose?"
me, "well I haven't measured the distance and the maritime museum is quite close too."

one of our visitors..
"what do you do for work in the UK?"
friend: " I'm a District Nurse in Shropshire"
" A nurse? What ward do you work on?"

It doesn't happen on flying to the USA with BA or Virgin, maybe it is an instruction from the TSA for US based airlines. But whilst security procedures are to be taken seriously, this is becoming quite the joke.

does anybody else have any instance/questions to share?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.