77W domestic website glitch?

Old Dec 14, 15, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

77W domestic website glitch?

AA2301 JFK-MIA on 12/17 is currently loaded on the website as a 77W. First class is sold out, and 'business' class isn't sold. The seat map shows rows 5-15 as 1-2-1 business class configuration; but the website is selling these seats as MCE for $33.00

Anyone know whats going on?
Old Dec 14, 15, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Not sure what your question is. Yes, it does look like that flight will be operated by a 77W, with business class seats sold as MCE, as is standard whenever this plane operates a domestic route other than MIA-LAX.
Old Dec 14, 15, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

I guess my question- is that normal? Why wouldn't they try to see the business class and first class cabin as "domestic FC"?
Old Dec 14, 15, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by onic View Post
I guess my question- is that normal? Why wouldn't they try to see the business class and first class cabin as "domestic FC"?
It is normal, and quite common (well, was more common when AA had more 3-class planes). If you want to know why, ask AA. I would speculate that it's because AA doesn't want to have two F cabins in which one is markedly better than the other. If you buy an F ticket, you expect to be in the best cabin.
Old Dec 14, 15, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SJC AA View Post
It is normal, and quite common (well, was more common when AA had more 3-class planes). If you want to know why, ask AA. I would speculate that it's because AA doesn't want to have two F cabins in which one is markedly better than the other. If you buy an F ticket, you expect to be in the best cabin.
This, plus they're never going to sell 60 premium seats on that flight, but could very well sell all of the J and Y cabins as Y. Therefore, it's better to sell J as MCE or offer it complimentary to elites than try and sell it as a J cabin on a one-off domestic flight.
Old Dec 14, 15, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
This happened on UA once, a 2 class plane went to 3 class. Anyone who paid for F was actually put in the F cabin while all the upgraders were put into the J cabin.
Old Dec 15, 15, 2:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Col Ronson View Post
This happened on UA once, a 2 class plane went to 3 class. Anyone who paid for F was actually put in the F cabin while all the upgraders were put into the J cabin.
This isn't how AA handle these situations.
Old Dec 15, 15, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Col Ronson View Post
If I paid for domestic F on a 738 and ended up in 77W J, I'd be unbelievably happy.
Old Dec 15, 15, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
If I paid for domestic F on a 738 and ended up in 77W J, I'd be unbelievably happy.
But on AA that would be a downgrade and you'd have to buy your own sandwich as J is sold as part of the Y cabin domestically (see above posts).
Old Dec 15, 15, 2:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by onic View Post
AA2301 JFK-MIA on 12/17 is currently loaded on the website as a 77W. First class is sold out, and 'business' class isn't sold. The seat map shows rows 5-15 as 1-2-1 business class configuration; but the website is selling these seats as MCE for $33.00

Anyone know whats going on?
JFK-MIA is a 2-class route. When operated by a 3-class aircraft, the F cabin is sold as First Class and both the J and Y cabins are sold as Economy.

When it happens with a 777-200 (as on the DFW-MIA route), seats in the J cabin are blocked off for elites only. Apparently with the 777-300ER AA is monetizing the J cabin by selling the seats to everyone as MCE.

$33 for a lie-flat bed is a bargain.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: