Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning American Airlines AAvantage Miles Flying British Airways
Including known issues (e.g. upgrades) with AA / BA

Earning AAdvantage Miles flying British Airways
Travel on British Airways and its affiliate airline counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership.

Affiliate airlines
  • BA Cityflyer
  • BA EuroFlyer
  • Sun-Air of Scandinavia

AAdvantage Concierge Key, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum and Gold members traveling on British Airways also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly BA as an AA codeshare, marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Link to AAdvantage chart on earning miles flying BA.
Upgrading to First on British Airways and U, Z (?) upgrade shared with award Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business (Club World) fare to First on British Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z" (?)a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus) fare to Business puts it into U class (?), another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as miles-earning, but it may prove challenging.

According to successful member BosTravel, you may have to contact ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, and explain you paid for Business, upgraded to F, or WTP to CW, and provide them with your original ticket number(s).

Earning AAdvantage Miles on British Airways When Upgraded[/color]
AAdvantage Participating Airline Upgrade Awards / PAUA (using AA miles)

AAdvantage miles may be used to secure upgrade awards for partners BA and IB, including code shares, depending on fare purchased.
  • Full Fare Economy includes published fares booked in Y or B (excluding Military or Government fares)
  • Full Fare Premium Economy refers to World Traveller Plus published fares booked in W on British Airways
  • Full Fare Business includes published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways

EQM will be generally earned based on originally purchased fare.

Link to thread discussing AA Participating Airline Upgrade Awards / PAUA

Links to BAEC Forum resources:
Pro-Active Online Upgrades (POUG)

A. What is a Pro-active Online Upgrade?
The simple answer: it is a limited special upgrade that may be offered at a time of BA's choosing after your booking is ticketed up to and including online check-in. The offer, if it happens (and this is not guaranteed) will appear in Manage My Booking, either via BA.com or the mobile app. There is no email notification, klaxon sound or flashing beacons to alert you - so now you know why its called a Pro-active Online Upgrade

Please note, POUG rates differ from the rates offered at the airport (see, Airport Upgrade (AUP) cost tracking thread) and also the rate offered when you click on the “Upgrade my class of travel with money” link from within MMB, or the “Upgrade to the next available cabin” blue/grey banner in the app.

Link to thread on Pro-active Online Upgrades and cost tracking
Airport Upgrades (AUP):

Airport Upgrades may be offered at the airport, or rarely in a lounge if requested.

Link to thread on Airport Upgrades and cost tracking
Upgrading using Avios (UuA)
UuAs can only be applied to tickets issued on 125 stock. In other words tickets issued by BA or BA registered travel agents with ticket numbers beginning 125. Tickets sold by Iberia and American Airlines are issued on different numbered stock and cannot be upgraded using Avios.

Link to post regarding Upgrading using Avios
Print Wikipost

Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by seaskybound
Who do you contact at BAEC for this if you are not a BAEC member?
You should be able to call the public BAEC phone number and ask if they could help with a miscredit to a partner airline. A few holds and transfers later, had somebody who could help.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I just took an AUP from CW to F on my BA operated AA coded flight from YVR-LHR. I heard the “words manual reissue” and the agent went into the back room for ten minutes. Highly likely I’m getting rebooked in A based on past experience and that it will credit as A. Dont need the EQMs or EQDs anyway and will probably wind up seeking ORC for my original YVRLAXLHR that I was rerouted from. Its an AAvaca biz ticket and i want the better RDMs from that. Will wait and see how it posts.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Quick question regarding BA operated flights. For some reason, all of my BA flights have been flights longer than 500 miles over the last couple of years, so I don't have any prior experience to look back on.

Does a BA flight earn the minimum mileage guarantee for elites? For what it's worth, my flight was booked through AA and on American ticket stock as a BA codeshare as part of a MIA-LHR-CDG flight, in business class. Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Quick question regarding BA operated flights. For some reason, all of my BA flights have been flights longer than 500 miles over the last couple of years, so I don't have any prior experience to look back on.

Does a BA flight earn the minimum mileage guarantee for elites? For what it's worth, my flight was booked through AA and on American ticket stock as a BA codeshare as part of a MIA-LHR-CDG flight, in business class. Thanks!
Yes, BA-marketed flights—as well as AA-marketed flights on BA metal—have a 500 minimum mileage guarantee for elites.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4

There is a minimum base EQM guarantee - any class multiplier is applied to this base , so could be as low as 125 miles in discount economy

Is there still a minimum for award miles though? I thought that award miles had no minimum , so for award miles would be between 55 ( in cheapest eligible economy ) to 272 in business class. For those with status, there would be a status bonus too
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is a minimum base EQM guarantee - any class multiplier is applied to this base , so could be as low as 125 miles in discount economy

Is there still a minimum for award miles though? I thought that award miles had no minimum , so for award miles would be between 55 ( in cheapest eligible economy ) to 272 in business class. For those with status, there would be a status bonus too
Correct, that's my understanding too. I may have misunderstood GotCalcio4, but I meant there is a minimum EQM guarantee (although I don't think BA has an EQM multiplier lower than 0.5x). There is no minimum RDM guarantee, and for BA, base miles can be as low as 25% of miles flown.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Correct, that's my understanding too. I may have misunderstood GotCalcio4, but I meant there is a minimum EQM guarantee (although I don't think BA has an EQM multiplier lower than 0.5x). There is no minimum RDM guarantee, and for BA, base miles can be as low as 25% of miles flown.
Gotcha. Both of your responses have been very helpful, as I now see the difference between the RDM and EQM minimum mileage levels. As I'm flying on a paid Business fare, I should be on the higher end of the earning side. I was mainly interested in the EQM minimum amount.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I did an AUP to F last week and the ticket was reissued onto BA ticket stock in the process. Before I did the AUP I had been rebooked from I to J by AA due to irrops. The flight credited as J under an Aa code so I got 3x EQMs, but it didnt post as A even though my BA receipt showed me in A class after the AUP. My return was also rebooked from I into J due to irrops and BA couldn’t check me in under the AA flight # and so reissued in J under the BA code, so I didn’t get the 3x multiplier. Oh well, still better than special fare I class and I didnt really need EQMs either.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:52 pm

Just a clarification question here. Are POUGs referenced in this thread offered on AA marketed BA flights or only BA marketed flights?

My intent is to purchase an economy seat then purchase an upgrade to PE (WT+), ideally through a discounted POUG. With the intent of maximizing earned AA EQMs and EQDs, is it more advantageous to purchase the codeshare on AA or direct through BA?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Platinum
BA metal purchased thru AA: can paid upgrade count toward AA EQDs?

I just got back from a flight to Europe for work. I flew BA metal, but purchased through AA. Outgoing flight was economy Y fare, coming home was an economy K fare. Total EQDs in my AA account are $1552, which is my original purchase price of my itinerary through my employer's travel agency.

My employer's travel policy is that they will reimburse me for an upgrade to premium economy on the day of check-in. Unfortunately, I can't purchase these fares ahead of time directly through my employer's travel agency. Also, AA can't process my upgrade directly as the flight is on BA metal. I managed to buy an upgrade to BA's premium economy cabin on both the outgoing flight ($300 USD) and incoming flight ($415 USD) at the check-in desk.

Question: has anyone had luck getting AA to apply these upgrade payments (made directly to BA) to their AA EQDs? Any tips on convincing AA to apply the funds to EQDs?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That is not eligible spending towards EQDs
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by snardy
My employer's travel policy is that they will reimburse me for an upgrade to premium economy on the day of check-in. Unfortunately, I can't purchase these fares ahead of time directly through my employer's travel agency. Also, AA can't process my upgrade directly as the flight is on BA metal. I managed to buy an upgrade to BA's premium economy cabin on both the outgoing flight ($300 USD) and incoming flight ($415 USD) at the check-in desk.
I was going to say, what a silly policy. But on reflection I can see the logic to it if they want flexibility but don't want to pay for it in WTP. Anyway, that's OT.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
You don't say where you're flying to or from, but next time try to get the TA to buy you the BA flight numbers, rather than the AA ones as then you will get distance based EQDs and there is a very good chance that you will earn EQMs and EQDs according to the upgraded cabin rather than the purchased cabin.

SFO-LHR in Premium Economy on BA#s would earn 2150 EQDs (approx) and 16100 EQMs (approx). When I do that on AA economy fares I find I get about 700 EQDs and 11000 EQMs - so your 1552 is actually pretty good.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by snardy
I just got back from a flight to Europe for work. I flew BA metal, but purchased through AA. Outgoing flight was economy Y fare, coming home was an economy K fare. Total EQDs in my AA account are $1552, which is my original purchase price of my itinerary through my employer's travel agency.

Question: has anyone had luck getting AA to apply these upgrade payments (made directly to BA) to their AA EQDs? Any tips on convincing AA to apply the funds to EQDs?
Ancillary fees such as upgrades are never EQD. But you might claim extra EQM; see abive.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by mxracer95
Just a clarification question here. Are POUGs referenced in this thread offered on AA marketed BA flights or only BA marketed flights?

My intent is to purchase an economy seat then purchase an upgrade to PE (WT+), ideally through a discounted POUG. With the intent of maximizing earned AA EQMs and EQDs, is it more advantageous to purchase the codeshare on AA or direct through BA?
For upgrades, buy a BA flight number, ideally through ba.com – that way there will be the fewest restrictions on Avios upgrades and more likelihood of POUG being offered. And probably a better chance of an AUP too.

For maximizing EQMs and EQDs, you'll probably do best snagging an upgrade to PE. But if no upgrades are forthcoming you'd probably earn most on an AA codeshare, but if you buy an AA codeshare, then the likelihood of getting an upgrade becomes close to zero anyway!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.