FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1731578-earning-aa-lps-award-miles-etc-ba-british-airways-inc-upgraded-flights.html)

SeattleDavid Jun 16, 2017 10:05 am

Originally Posted by potus18 (Post 28448481)
On a recent SFO/LHR/SFO flight I paid to upgrade at the airport and had my tickets re-issued from T (premium economy) and L (economy) to J and J.

Both flights posted and the EQM/EQD/RDM reflect the initial booking codes. What's the best form of recourse here? Requesting missing miles as if the original tickets didn't post? Contact the AAdvantage desk?

I'm not sure if there is anything you can do, but my experience (a few weeks ago) was the exact opposite. I had T fares from SJC-LHR and I upgraded one with Avios and one with an Airport Upgrade for cash. Both flights have credited on AA as I fares, so 25% EQDs instead of 20% and a cabin bonus on RDMs.

Thats certainly not what I expected, but its certainly nice to have.

SeattleDavid Aug 23, 2017 10:07 am

In the last 4 months I have done AUPs from SFO-LHR (and v.v.) as well as an Avios upgrade from SJC to LHR (all from PE to J).

In every case I was credited miles (and EQMs and EQDs) as if booked in Fare Class I.

stephem Aug 23, 2017 2:52 pm

I did an AUP to F in May LHR-SEA and was only credited for I class (fare in which I booked originally).

dkc192 Aug 23, 2017 4:23 pm

Does anyone have experience with Avios upgrades crediting correctly or incorrectly to AA? I have an I fare that I'm looking to upgrade to F using Avios, but since Avios upgrades ticket into the same booking class as full award flights (Z in the case of F), might there be a complication in getting awarded miles for my underlying I class booking?

AAExecPlatFlier Aug 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Take a look at the posts direct above urs.

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 28727602)
Does anyone have experience with Avios upgrades crediting correctly or incorrectly to AA? I have an I fare that I'm looking to upgrade to F using Avios, but since Avios upgrades ticket into the same booking class as full award flights (Z in the case of F), might there be a complication in getting awarded miles for my underlying I class booking?

matrixwalker2012 Oct 24, 2017 2:15 pm

BA ticket in PEY upgrade to J, mileage earned?

Hi,

i have a flight on BA LAX-LHR that is in PEY class T and I want to upgrade to J with some avois I have in a separate account. If I credit the flight to AA, can AA still see my original class of service and credit me on that?

JDiver Oct 24, 2017 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012 (Post 28971733)
Hi,

i have a flight on BA LAX-LHR that is in PEY class T and I want to upgrade to J with some avois I have in a separate account. If I credit the flight to AA, can AA still see my original class of service and credit me on that?

Please start by reviewing the Wikipost above this page. We have merged your query into the existing thread.

/Moderator

britforabit Nov 24, 2017 5:06 am

EQM's and EQD's for purchased upgrade on BA flight

I purchased an economy ticket with BA recently and then purchased an upgrade (POUG) online to business for £89. I called AA and they said I'd be eligible for the higher EQM and EQD's based on the business class ticket (so EQD's as 25% of mileage flown and EQM's as 150%). However, upon looking at my upgraded booking class, it was Booking Class U, which according to BA's and AA's site, it not eligible for earning status miles as it's a redemption award. This is confusing since I PAID for the original flight and PAID for the upgrade, I didn't use miles for any. Will I still get EQM's and EQD's with AA based on the business class? Or am I out of luck??

olouie Nov 24, 2017 7:04 am

You should get EQM and EQD on the original class of service purchases (eg without upgrade). Check your original booking to see what the fare code was.

DMPHL Nov 24, 2017 8:47 am

The AA agent was probably answering your question as if you had up-fared from an economy ticket to a business class ticket. If that were the case, then you would be eligible for the extra EQM and EQD.

BUT, upgrades, even upgrades you pay for with cash online (which are heavily discounted and only a fraction of the fare difference between an economy and business ticket), do not book into a normal revenue business class fare. The underlying ticket is still an economy ticket, and will earn as such.

zski1 Nov 24, 2017 10:14 am

I don't believe the last 2 responses are correct - at least, as of about a year ago, when I purchased a POUG, I upgraded into U and received miles as though I booked a business class revenue ticket.

There is a thread about this located at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html

Dave Noble Nov 24, 2017 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by zski1 (Post 29095932)
I don't believe the last 2 responses are correct - at least, as of about a year ago, when I purchased a POUG, I upgraded into U and received miles as though I booked a business class revenue ticket.

There is a thread about this located at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html

Te agent is correct
Sometimes mistakes happen and points cresit where they shouldn't
The AAdvantage T&Cs are clear on this

From https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...conditions.jsp

Originally Posted by aa
■On American Airlines and other AAdvantage airline participants, you'll receive AAdvantage mileage credit only for the class of service on which your fare is based when you are ticketed

BA remits to AA the booking class of the ticket piurchase as well as the booking class of travel

SeattleDavid Nov 24, 2017 12:27 pm

[QUOTE=Dave Noble;29096248]From https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...conditions.jsp

Originally Posted by aa
■On American Airlines and other AAdvantage airline participants, you'll receive AAdvantage mileage credit only for the class of service on which your fare is based when you are ticketed
[/qupte]

BA remits to AA the booking class of the ticket piurchase as well as the booking class of travel

Dave is correct about wha the rules say, and I think it is true to say that you shouldn't expect more. However, there are numerous examples of people getting EQMs and EQDs (and RDMs) according to the upgraded fare, but I don't think that gives anyone the right to demand them.

Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.

potus18 Nov 24, 2017 1:11 pm

I did two BA SFO/LHR/SFO trips this year booked in economy then either POUG or AUP'd to club world on each leg. For the first trip, I received economy EQDs and EQMs. But I was able to get business EQD and EQMs by emailing my receipts and ticket numbers to BAEC and they back-channeled with AA to update my earnings. On the second trip, I received business EQDs and EQMs without needing to intervene.

I'd recommend calling BAEC and seeing if they can help. But for a £89 POUG, I'd assume that's intra-europe and not longhaul so they may be less willing to help.

seaskybound Nov 25, 2017 9:25 am

Originally Posted by potus18 (Post 29096400)
I did two BA SFO/LHR/SFO trips this year booked in economy then either POUG or AUP'd to club world on each leg. For the first trip, I received economy EQDs and EQMs. But I was able to get business EQD and EQMs by emailing my receipts and ticket numbers to BAEC and they back-channeled with AA to update my earnings. On the second trip, I received business EQDs and EQMs without needing to intervene.

I'd recommend calling BAEC and seeing if they can help. But for a £89 POUG, I'd assume that's intra-europe and not longhaul so they may be less willing to help.

Who do you contact at BAEC for this if you are not a BAEC member?