Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning American Airlines AAvantage Miles Flying British Airways
Including known issues (e.g. upgrades) with AA / BA

Earning AAdvantage Miles flying British Airways
Travel on British Airways and its affiliate airline counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership.

Affiliate airlines
  • BA Cityflyer
  • BA EuroFlyer
  • Sun-Air of Scandinavia

AAdvantage Concierge Key, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum and Gold members traveling on British Airways also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly BA as an AA codeshare, marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Link to AAdvantage chart on earning miles flying BA.
Upgrading to First on British Airways and U, Z (?) upgrade shared with award Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business (Club World) fare to First on British Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z" (?)a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus) fare to Business puts it into U class (?), another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as miles-earning, but it may prove challenging.

According to successful member BosTravel, you may have to contact ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, and explain you paid for Business, upgraded to F, or WTP to CW, and provide them with your original ticket number(s).

Earning AAdvantage Miles on British Airways When Upgraded[/color]
AAdvantage Participating Airline Upgrade Awards / PAUA (using AA miles)

AAdvantage miles may be used to secure upgrade awards for partners BA and IB, including code shares, depending on fare purchased.
  • Full Fare Economy includes published fares booked in Y or B (excluding Military or Government fares)
  • Full Fare Premium Economy refers to World Traveller Plus published fares booked in W on British Airways
  • Full Fare Business includes published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways

EQM will be generally earned based on originally purchased fare.

Link to thread discussing AA Participating Airline Upgrade Awards / PAUA

Links to BAEC Forum resources:
Pro-Active Online Upgrades (POUG)

A. What is a Pro-active Online Upgrade?
The simple answer: it is a limited special upgrade that may be offered at a time of BA's choosing after your booking is ticketed up to and including online check-in. The offer, if it happens (and this is not guaranteed) will appear in Manage My Booking, either via BA.com or the mobile app. There is no email notification, klaxon sound or flashing beacons to alert you - so now you know why its called a Pro-active Online Upgrade

Please note, POUG rates differ from the rates offered at the airport (see, Airport Upgrade (AUP) cost tracking thread) and also the rate offered when you click on the “Upgrade my class of travel with money” link from within MMB, or the “Upgrade to the next available cabin” blue/grey banner in the app.

Link to thread on Pro-active Online Upgrades and cost tracking
Airport Upgrades (AUP):

Airport Upgrades may be offered at the airport, or rarely in a lounge if requested.

Link to thread on Airport Upgrades and cost tracking
Upgrading using Avios (UuA)
UuAs can only be applied to tickets issued on 125 stock. In other words tickets issued by BA or BA registered travel agents with ticket numbers beginning 125. Tickets sold by Iberia and American Airlines are issued on different numbered stock and cannot be upgraded using Avios.

Link to post regarding Upgrading using Avios
Print Wikipost

Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Abdul Qureshi
I am flying two legs of a three leg flight on BA marketed flights while the third is AA -- all business class. I am a platinum AA member.

Is it better for me to use my Avios account to earn miles on the BA legs. I would only earn AA miles on the BA legs based off of distance and not on fare even though the flights costs $10K+ in total.

What's the best way to maximize mileage here?
Welcome to FT!

So that people can help you figure out how to maximize your mileage, you might clarify exactly what your routing is (what are the three legs), which airline issued the ticket, and which airline is operating each flight. (Or when you say the first two are BA marketed and the third is AA, do you mean the first two are BA operated and the third is AA? In which case, do the flight numbers match (BA/BA/AA)? Or are they all BA? etc.)

You should also include the fare basis -- all these factors affect mileage accrual and it's hard to give advice based on a few generalizations.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Welcome to FT!

So that people can help you figure out how to maximize your mileage, you might clarify exactly what your routing is (what are the three legs), which airline issued the ticket, and which airline is operating each flight. (Or when you say the first two are BA marketed and the third is AA, do you mean the first two are BA operated and the third is AA? In which case, do the flight numbers match (BA/BA/AA)? Or are they all BA? etc.)

You should also include the fare basis -- all these factors affect mileage accrual and it's hard to give advice based on a few generalizations.
The legs are as follows: SFO - LHR, LHR - EWR, JFK - SFO

Tickets were issued through a corporate reservation company, but the first two legs are BA operated and last one is AA operated.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Who markets the flights? As in, on your e-ticket confirmation, are they AA flight numbers or BA flight numbers? This well could be different than the operating airline, and it matters a great deal.

Also, what inventory was each flight booked in: J, C, D, R or I?
Old May 17, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Microwave
Who markets the flights? As in, on your e-ticket confirmation, are they AA flight numbers or BA flight numbers? This well could be different than the operating airline, and it matters a great deal.

Also, what inventory was each flight booked in: J, C, D, R or I?
The first two are BA flight numbers and the third is AA. All three legs are class J.

Should I use my Avios account to earn miles on the BA flights instead of using AAdvantage?
Old May 17, 2017, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you go to https://www.britishairways.com/trave...flights--index

you can see what the BA earning will be based on BA status

For earning to AA, can take the distance of flight, add 85% to cover class of service platinum bonus

You can then decide where you think you would be better to accrue the miles - also allow for difference in any redemption costs and carrier surcharges that may apply on the redemptions

Approximate distance can be found from http://www.gcmap.com/mapui
Old May 17, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Fireondeck1b
The first two are BA flight numbers and the third is AA. All three legs are class J.

Should I use my Avios account to earn miles on the BA flights instead of using AAdvantage?
Since no-one will know what portion of that $10k fare AA will attach to the AA segment until after you fly, we can only approximate. I'm using $2k* here, which is probably high.

The AA RDM for the BA legs reflects the .25 bonus for BA J and the .6 bonus for Plat.

Code:
    miles  AA RDM   BA Avios
BA  8832   16340    22080
AA  2586   16000*    3323
TOTAL      32640*   25403
So AA looks to be higher even if the fare was over-estimated a bit. But you also have to factor in how you would spend Avios vs AA miles.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Does A Paid Upgrade Change The Booking Code For Miles?

If I buy an upgrade on British Airways does my booking code change so I get more miles accrued through AAdvantage? Thanks
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
On American Airlines, you retain the conditions of your original booking code for the purposes of EQM, EQD, Award Miles when you upgrade. There are occasional and rare reports of cabin roll ups etc. booking into a higher earning fare code, but they are exceedingly rare.

On BA, it's different. You may find getting any EQM, EQD etc. challenging, as Upgrade fare codes on BA are shared with award codes which do not earn anything. See the Wikipost at the top of the page.

I'll merge your query into the existing thread. /Moderator
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by techraider77
If I buy an upgrade on British Airways does my booking code change so I get more miles accrued through AAdvantage? Thanks
Check the fine print of the upgrade offer. I've been offered upgrades on BA from coach to world traveler which book into W. The fine print says that they earn BA points as appropriate for the upgraded cabin, not the originally-purchased cabin, which makes sense because W is the paid premium economy class. Indeed, the points credited to AAdvantage at the W rate (meaning 150% EQMs instead of 50% EQMs).

The upgrade fare was $500 one way, which was also the fare difference when I originally purchased the ticket, so it wasn't a discounted upgrade (though that fare -- what I paid for cheap economy plus $500 -- was no longer available at the time I upgraded for purchase of new tickets).
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Incorrect miles posted to AA from BA flight

On a recent SFO/LHR/SFO flight I paid to upgrade at the airport and had my tickets re-issued from T (premium economy) and L (economy) to J and J.

Both flights posted and the EQM/EQD/RDM reflect the initial booking codes. What's the best form of recourse here? Requesting missing miles as if the original tickets didn't post? Contact the AAdvantage desk?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by potus18
On a recent SFO/LHR/SFO flight I paid to upgrade at the airport and had my tickets re-issued from T (premium economy) and L (economy) to J and J.

Both flights posted and the EQM/EQD/RDM reflect the initial booking codes. What's the best form of recourse here? Requesting missing miles as if the original tickets didn't post? Contact the AAdvantage desk?
I think others can chime in, but IIRC, AA systems look at your fare basis and your original fare inventory before crediting the miles. If you are truly sure your ticket is confirmed into 'J', not upgrade awards 'U' or anything, try to shoot AA a mileage request to get it fixed.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
I think others can chime in, but IIRC, AA systems look at your fare basis and your original fare inventory before crediting the miles. If you are truly sure your ticket is confirmed into 'J', not upgrade awards 'U' or anything, try to shoot AA a mileage request to get it fixed.
Ok, I'll file a missing miles claim and wait a couple weeks.

I'm nearly positive I was rebooked into J instead of U or any other award class — BA only rebooks into award classes if upgraded with Avios. Also: my boarding passes, which I've kept thinking they would mis-credit , say "CLASS: J"
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Boarding pass on BA will simply display the generic class
J for Club world and C for Club Europe
It is not indicative of the booking class of the booking

Did you pay the fare difference between original booking class and the business class fare and the ticket was reissued as such or was this a discounted upgrade. If the latter, then I believe that the posting may well be correct
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by potus18

We have merged your question into the extant relevant thread; we recommend searching before starting a thread. This prevents information fragmentation and often offers information shared by other members.

Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page; your situation is addressed there, as it's a known problem with some upgraded fares on BA.

/Moderator
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'll definitely fly a BA prem economy flight from DFW - LHR early next year. It's a great EQM boost and if they have a buy up to J that's even better. I live in phx now and moving to dfw in september. I believe if memory serves like phx, dfw BA birds don't have the new premium economy cabin unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.