Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning American Airlines AAvantage Miles Flying British Airways
Including known issues (e.g. upgrades) with AA / BA

Earning AAdvantage Miles flying British Airways
Travel on British Airways and its affiliate airline counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership.

Affiliate airlines
  • BA Cityflyer
  • BA EuroFlyer
  • Sun-Air of Scandinavia

AAdvantage Concierge Key, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum and Gold members traveling on British Airways also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly BA as an AA codeshare, marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Link to AAdvantage chart on earning miles flying BA.
Upgrading to First on British Airways and U, Z (?) upgrade shared with award Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business (Club World) fare to First on British Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z" (?)a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus) fare to Business puts it into U class (?), another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as miles-earning, but it may prove challenging.

According to successful member BosTravel, you may have to contact ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, and explain you paid for Business, upgraded to F, or WTP to CW, and provide them with your original ticket number(s).

Earning AAdvantage Miles on British Airways When Upgraded[/color]
AAdvantage Participating Airline Upgrade Awards / PAUA (using AA miles)

AAdvantage miles may be used to secure upgrade awards for partners BA and IB, including code shares, depending on fare purchased.
  • Full Fare Economy includes published fares booked in Y or B (excluding Military or Government fares)
  • Full Fare Premium Economy refers to World Traveller Plus published fares booked in W on British Airways
  • Full Fare Business includes published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways

EQM will be generally earned based on originally purchased fare.

Link to thread discussing AA Participating Airline Upgrade Awards / PAUA

Links to BAEC Forum resources:
Pro-Active Online Upgrades (POUG)

A. What is a Pro-active Online Upgrade?
The simple answer: it is a limited special upgrade that may be offered at a time of BA's choosing after your booking is ticketed up to and including online check-in. The offer, if it happens (and this is not guaranteed) will appear in Manage My Booking, either via BA.com or the mobile app. There is no email notification, klaxon sound or flashing beacons to alert you - so now you know why its called a Pro-active Online Upgrade

Please note, POUG rates differ from the rates offered at the airport (see, Airport Upgrade (AUP) cost tracking thread) and also the rate offered when you click on the “Upgrade my class of travel with money” link from within MMB, or the “Upgrade to the next available cabin” blue/grey banner in the app.

Link to thread on Pro-active Online Upgrades and cost tracking
Airport Upgrades (AUP):

Airport Upgrades may be offered at the airport, or rarely in a lounge if requested.

Link to thread on Airport Upgrades and cost tracking
Upgrading using Avios (UuA)
UuAs can only be applied to tickets issued on 125 stock. In other words tickets issued by BA or BA registered travel agents with ticket numbers beginning 125. Tickets sold by Iberia and American Airlines are issued on different numbered stock and cannot be upgraded using Avios.

Link to post regarding Upgrading using Avios
Print Wikipost

Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
In general you shouldn't expect to receive more EQMs or EQDs than you would for your paid ticket class – but it used to be common for errors to occur and flights were credited according to cabin flown (and this may still be common, but there seem to be few reports around).

You may get cabin flown credits, but if you don't you can't call and ask for them.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:29 pm
hmv

Actually had an interesting conversation about this topic with someone from AAdvantage Customer Service: Apparently if you upgrade and it notes a change fee (I think 180 euro on BA), then you get the higher fare class. Otherwise, the Original purchased class.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by hmv
Actually had an interesting conversation abo ut this topic with someone from AAdvantage Customer Service: Apparently if you upgrade and it notes a change fee (I think 180 euro on BA), then you get the higher fare class. Otherwise, the Original purchased class.
This didn't happen for me 4 weeks ago on an Iberia (AA codeshare) flight. Used Iberia's app to change my seat, and got an offer on-app to upgrade for $190 USD (Madrid to Tel Aviv). I took it on the spot.

Miles posted within 3 days, but were for economy (the original booking code that I paid for - Iberia didn't have PE on this flight, although I flew PE on AA from DFW-MAD). No additional bonus miles for business upgrade.

Same for an upgrade I had last year on BA. Paid the $650 upgrade for a longhaul LAX-LHR that was offered at the check in desk, but mileage posted was for the original PE class (WTP on BA).

Maybe you got lucky?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
I booked J class BOS-BUD via LHR, (return via VIE), with British Airways, BA metal, BA flight number crediting to my AA FF#. Shortly after booking I upgraded the BOS-LHR segment to First using Avios.
I noticed today that segment is now coded as the dreaded Z class. All other segments are I or J. I need all the EQD and EQM I can get just to make my Plat level. I can't afford, status wise, to not get credit for the TA segment. I did not know any of the this Z class stuff prior to upgrading or I may not have done it. I came across it by chance looking at my booking on ba.com.
Are people in similar situations having success getting the proper EQD and EQM's credited to their AA account, I guess after having to call AA? I, Again, it's a paid J class ticket.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:27 pm
hmv

How long does it actually take for BA flights to post on your AAdvantage account?
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by hmv
How long does it actually take for BA flights to post on your AAdvantage account?
Usually two to three days depending on the flight time.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:57 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hmv
Mine have always posted by the following weekend or at least that is what I recall.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:04 am

BA flight cancelled, rebooked on AA

Purchased BA World Traveler Plus r/t ORD-LHR-TLV for family of four on BA to post to AA and earn more EQM and EQD than if we flew AA. First leg was cancelled due to ramp hitting airplane and were rebooked on AA for first leg 6.5 hours later. Miles and EQD posted at lower AA rates based on some dollar amount that I’m guessing is what AA charged BA to rebook. Is this correct or should we be credited with what we would have earned based on our original ticketing? Also, does anyone know if we have reasonable grounds for compensation for flight delay and the best way to approach? I am EXP on AA if it matters, but don’t know all the tricks of the trade. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
What type of compensation are you seeking?
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by kazdave
Purchased BA World Traveler Plus r/t ORD-LHR-TLV for family of four on BA to post to AA and earn more EQM and EQD than if we flew AA. First leg was cancelled due to ramp hitting airplane and were rebooked on AA for first leg 6.5 hours later. Miles and EQD posted at lower AA rates based on some dollar amount that I’m guessing is what AA charged BA to rebook. Is this correct or should we be credited with what we would have earned based on our original ticketing? Also, does anyone know if we have reasonable grounds for compensation for flight delay and the best way to approach? I am EXP on AA if it matters, but don’t know all the tricks of the trade. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal EXP line) and ask for original routing credit for your BA flights.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:50 am

Thank you, I will try that.

Regarding compensation, I thought there were some EU regulations, but I wasn’t sure if they applied and, if so, how to go about pursuing it. BA customer service, I suppose.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by hmv
Mine posted about 2 days after the flight I took 2 weeks ago.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
I am currently booked on BA marketed BA flight LHR - HKG O Economy fare class. Offered to upgrade with cash to Premium Economy (I think I will he booked into T) when I log into the booking. I plan to credit this BA flight to AAdvantage.

Based on what I read above, I will earn AA EQD EQM as if I fly with BA T class?
Old Nov 28, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Strange enough, I was booked in O LHR - HKG, offered an online upgrade to Premium Economy. Paid, now when I log into booking, I am booked in P class...

Sigh, this class is not earning any AA miles... :-(
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:08 am
hmv

Tommy, as my experience showed, you will receive the premium economy miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.