Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning American Airlines AAvantage Miles Flying British Airways
Including known issues (e.g. upgrades) with AA / BA

Earning AAdvantage Miles flying British Airways
Travel on British Airways and its affiliate airline counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership.

Affiliate airlines
  • BA Cityflyer
  • BA EuroFlyer
  • Sun-Air of Scandinavia

AAdvantage Concierge Key, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum and Gold members traveling on British Airways also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly BA as an AA codeshare, marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Link to AAdvantage chart on earning miles flying BA.
Upgrading to First on British Airways and U, Z (?) upgrade shared with award Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business (Club World) fare to First on British Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z" (?)a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus) fare to Business puts it into U class (?), another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as miles-earning, but it may prove challenging.

According to successful member BosTravel, you may have to contact ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, and explain you paid for Business, upgraded to F, or WTP to CW, and provide them with your original ticket number(s).

Earning AAdvantage Miles on British Airways When Upgraded[/color]
AAdvantage Participating Airline Upgrade Awards / PAUA (using AA miles)

AAdvantage miles may be used to secure upgrade awards for partners BA and IB, including code shares, depending on fare purchased.
  • Full Fare Economy includes published fares booked in Y or B (excluding Military or Government fares)
  • Full Fare Premium Economy refers to World Traveller Plus published fares booked in W on British Airways
  • Full Fare Business includes published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways

EQM will be generally earned based on originally purchased fare.

Link to thread discussing AA Participating Airline Upgrade Awards / PAUA

Links to BAEC Forum resources:
Pro-Active Online Upgrades (POUG)

A. What is a Pro-active Online Upgrade?
The simple answer: it is a limited special upgrade that may be offered at a time of BA's choosing after your booking is ticketed up to and including online check-in. The offer, if it happens (and this is not guaranteed) will appear in Manage My Booking, either via BA.com or the mobile app. There is no email notification, klaxon sound or flashing beacons to alert you - so now you know why its called a Pro-active Online Upgrade

Please note, POUG rates differ from the rates offered at the airport (see, Airport Upgrade (AUP) cost tracking thread) and also the rate offered when you click on the “Upgrade my class of travel with money” link from within MMB, or the “Upgrade to the next available cabin” blue/grey banner in the app.

Link to thread on Pro-active Online Upgrades and cost tracking
Airport Upgrades (AUP):

Airport Upgrades may be offered at the airport, or rarely in a lounge if requested.

Link to thread on Airport Upgrades and cost tracking
Upgrading using Avios (UuA)
UuAs can only be applied to tickets issued on 125 stock. In other words tickets issued by BA or BA registered travel agents with ticket numbers beginning 125. Tickets sold by Iberia and American Airlines are issued on different numbered stock and cannot be upgraded using Avios.

Link to post regarding Upgrading using Avios
Print Wikipost

Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would expect that it will have been rebooked onto the BA flight number when the upgrade was purchased

I would expect that you will get EQMs and EQDs based on distance rather thnn fare and based on BA earnings ( 1.5 eqms per mile flown ) - I would also expect that it will credit as per business class for award miles

on the boarding pass showing 1st class, did it say BAxxx or BAxxx sold as AAxxxx ?

ugh. The boarding pass says BA even though I went out of my way to buy an American marketed trip for this trip. Bummer. This seems to have just made things worse for me (fewer EQMs now). Has anyone had any success getting aa to help with this kind of a reversal?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Yes, AA will credit you with the miles that you should have received from buying the tickets. A message to customer relations (in my cases) got this fixed within hours.
Thenextsurprise likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by ckendall
My experience is that AUPs earn the EQM of the original tickets. I believe that POUG (purchased on the website, before airport arrival) may earn at the new fare class.
MY experience is the same for EQMs, since all my fares earn 1.5 EQMs anyway (only an upgrade from Y would test this theory and I've never done that). However, almost all my AUPs have earned EQDs according to the upgraded class. In the past I was usually more short of EQDs and so this suited me nicely, but this year it is my EQMs that are trailing.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ckendall
Yes, AA will credit you with the miles that you should have received from buying the tickets. A message to customer relations (in my cases) got this fixed within hours.
I am not sure that it will - the person chose to make a purchase that led to being rebooked , quite correctly, onto BA ; there is no error that has occurred
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I am not sure that it will - the person chose to make a purchase that led to being rebooked , quite correctly, onto BA ; there is no error that has occurred
I have done two AUPs (though PE to J, not J to F as the OP did) on AA purchased tickets for BA flights. In both cases the miles posted as if I was still on my original AA ticket with everything calculated as an AA flight, despite buying the AUP from the BA ticket counter and getting BA boarding passes.

In my case (PE to J) the miles posted as I had purchased an AA Y ticket and a note to Consumer Relations got me the correct P mileage. I would imagine that in the case of the OP, the miles should reflect the purchased J mileage and the appropriate AA EQM and EQD.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
I read through this thread and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html but couldn’t seem to find an answer to my question: is it standard that partner upgrade awards don’t credit automatically?

I purchased DFW-LHR (AA marketed/operated) and LHR-TLV (BA marketed/operated) on AA stock, D class, as a single ticket. Upgraded DFW-TLV from J to F with 40,000 miles as a North America-Middle East award — making the DFW-LHR segment A class and the LHR-TLV segment Z class. I haven’t had the LHR-TLV segment post yet and I’m wondering if the issue with AUPs also affects the AA partner upgrade program.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:29 am

Newbie to booking partners

Stupid as heck questions from an EXP. But nearly all of my flying is domestic on AA metal, so please be gentle.

I have bought BA marketed flights on BA metal (examples: IAD/LHR and GTW/FUN). There is nothing special about these tickets - they're a regularly marketed fare, etc., that I bought with $$s.

I've put in my AAdvantage number and from reading everything on the website, it looks as if I should be credited mileage according to the BA section of the AAdvantage site. The part the worries me a little bit is the statement about "qualifying routes". I presume that since these aren't "weird" that there shouldn't be an issue. Also, how long do BA flights like this take to credit?

Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp

Make sure that your AAdvantage number appears on your BA boarding passes, and retain the boarding passes until you see the miles in your AAdvantage account. Contact AAdvantage if the miles do not show up within a month.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bostonkarl
Also, how long do BA flights like this take to credit?
In my experience two to three days unless it's a late arrival or a holiday intervenes.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:17 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Uh oh...Advantage earnings loophole closed on BA upgraded ticket?

I fly BA a lot but always credit to AA.

If available, I always use Avios to upgrade BA-ticket stock tickets and have always received AA EQM/EQDs based on the cabin FLOWN—one of the awesome loopholes for us mileage gamers.

Just did a cheap J MR to BOM and I was able to upgrade 2 legs to F but only received EQM/EQDs based on the J earn rate.

Have they closed this loophole?

Anyone else have this happen yet?
Old May 20, 2019, 7:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by 355F1
I fly BA a lot but always credit to AA.

If available, I always use Avios to upgrade BA-ticket stock tickets and have always received AA EQM/EQDs based on the cabin FLOWN—one of the awesome loopholes for us mileage gamers.

Just did a cheap J MR to BOM and I was able to upgrade 2 legs to F but only received EQM/EQDs based on the J earn rate.

Have they closed this loophole?

Anyone else have this happen yet?
As far as we know, this earning mode (not really a loophole, but rather reflecting BA policy) still exists - but sometimes it doesn’t occur easily. See the Wikipost at the top of the page.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:26 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by JDiver
As far as we know, this earning mode (not really a loophole, but rather reflecting BA policy) still exists - but sometimes it doesn’t occur easily. See the Wikipost at the top of the page.
I fly BA with upgraded tickets probably 4-6 legs per year and this is the first time this has happened where I only got the fare purchase instead of fare flown.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
I just noticed the wiki still says, "Just remember no BA marketed flight will earn more than 1.5 EQM per base mile flown." Fixed.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM
So...just to be clear, if I do end up purchasing this boondoggle of a MR on BA into I, it will accrue EQMs at 2/mile, correct?

Also (and forgive me...I skimmed through this thread, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for), can anyone confirm how BA metal/BA stock with AA accrual works if one is able to get a POUG from T to I ? I'm primarily curious about EQM and whether they accrue as cabin booked (T=1.5/mile) or cabin flown (I=2.0/mile).
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:01 am
hmv

My question might be better in this topic:
Originally Posted by hmv
How does it work with the online upgrade offer from BA?

I am offered an upgrade from my O-class Economy fare LHR-HKG to Premium Economy and I am wondering if it also adjusts the EQM/EQD earnings on AAdvantage, because their terms & conditions are quite unclear on this topic.
Originally Posted by hmv
Interestingly enough, my fare class was changed to P as a result of this paid upgrade. Anyone with experience on how AA will process this in their system?

I am now becoming a bit afraid that AA will see it as a non-revenue fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.