Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c in progress

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c in progress

Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by thedeeg
The image above shows the 772 refit being complete around now, but does anyone have any idea on when the PE cabins for 772 will go on sale?
The AA 772 would definitely be a better experience than the BA 747. So would the lounge experience at JFK, if you are Platinum/Sapphire or above.

AA has two kinds of 772s right now... one with 37 business class seats and one with 45 biz seats.

All of the 37J 772's have PE. But there are 12 45J 772's that have not be refit. They refit one of them - which included a reduction from 45J to 37J, to standardize the 772 fleet (47 total 772's).

So... no, the AA guidance on when the 772 refit would be done is not accurate. Right now, they have not updated when they foresee the 12 45J 772's to be completed. But since they are not selling PE on the routes the 45J 772's fly, it's safe to say it will not be anytime soon.

The good news, if you want to gamble, is that on the 45J 772's, Main Cabin Extra is still 3-3-3. So being in economy on those planes for a shorter TATL like JFK-LHR is very bearable.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics
The AA 772 would definitely be a better experience than the BA 747. So would the lounge experience at JFK, if you are Platinum/Sapphire or above.

AA has two kinds of 772s right now... one with 37 business class seats and one with 45 biz seats.

All of the 37J 772's have PE. But there are 12 45J 772's that have not be refit. They refit one of them - which included a reduction from 45J to 37J, to standardize the 772 fleet (47 total 772's).

So... no, the AA guidance on when the 772 refit would be done is not accurate. Right now, they have not updated when they foresee the 12 45J 772's to be completed. But since they are not selling PE on the routes the 45J 772's fly, it's safe to say it will not be anytime soon.

The good news, if you want to gamble, is that on the 45J 772's, Main Cabin Extra is still 3-3-3. So being in economy on those planes for a shorter TATL like JFK-LHR is very bearable.
Thank you.

Ill likely tick over to Platinum on the return flight, but if possible will use my old priority pass for lounge in JFK and LHR on the way back.

So in short, either take the gamble on AA, and pay the 50% discounted MCE and hope for the best, or buy it on BA and have the older slightly worse (IMO/IME) experience.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Just back from a 789 in J - I peeked into the PE cabin and saw only three rows. I think that's shortsighted and hope AA adds more to the 788s. Increasingly common ultralong flights (14 hours to Shanghai, 16 hours to Sydney, etc) are markets where plenty of people can't afford business but want the space.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
Just back from a 789 in J - I peeked into the PE cabin and saw only three rows. I think that's shortsighted and hope AA adds more to the 788s. Increasingly common ultralong flights (14 hours to Shanghai, 16 hours to Sydney, etc) are markets where plenty of people can't afford business but want the space.
Very unlikely you'll see more than 3 rows on the smaller 788.

There are 3 rows on the A332s and the 772's.

The 77W does have 4 rows, but it's not 4 full rows.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:16 am

N729AN heading back to DFW from PAE today to re-enter service. Going to LHR tonight as AA78.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by econometrics
N729AN heading back to DFW from PAE today to re-enter service. Going to LHR tonight as AA78.
Thank you ever so much for keeping us appraised with these updates. ^
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
Just understand that the only part that is PE is the seat. Service and the rest wont start until later. Have a good flight.
isnt that 95% of the product the seat? I just want personal space, dont care for what airline slop food I could get and I can already watch all the movies I want anyways.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Just saw AA 135 LAX-LHR with PE offered as 2-4-2 in August

What is interesting is the aa.com seat map shows seats having moveable armrests, could that be the case for the 777-300? Because i believe in 787 and all BA planes, PE has thinker armrests which cannot be moved
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cvg-aa
Does AA have a policy of complementary upgrade from Y to PE for EXP on space available basis at check in or airport? I received one 2 weeks ago CDG-CLT during on line check in. AA says they do not. PE cabin looked 30% full at ONCI but was full at departure. Can someone enlighten me and if there is a policy does it extend to award tickets in Y. Thanks.
When I called the EXP line and asked, they said it was gate agent's discretion, for what that's worth. YMMV.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superweak
When I called the EXP line and asked, they said it was gate agent's discretion, for what that's worth. YMMV.
Seems like a pretty undefined "policy".
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:34 am

My friend is on AA135 tomorrow sitting in the new PE seats but is still MCE. I'm eager to get his report because I'm booked on that flight a couple of times this summer. The PE service start date for AA135 is 6/27. Before 6/27 it's PE seats but no extra service and then beginning on 6/27 AA135 PE service goes into effect. I'll ask him about the armrests.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Seems like a pretty undefined "policy".
Indeed. Just be careful - the following happened to me:
  • Standby for miles+copay Y -> J, wind up as highest unupgraded person
  • Gate agent upgrades Y -> W
  • Supervisor comes over, argues with agent for a while that no upgrade at all should happen, somehow loses argument
  • agent removes miles+copay as I point out that no J upgrade has happened & there is no table for a W upgrade
  • Two months later, auditing software takes the miles and charges my credit card
  • Highly apologetic emails follow once I complain
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
Just saw AA 135 LAX-LHR with PE offered as 2-4-2 in August

What is interesting is the aa.com seat map shows seats having moveable armrests, could that be the case for the 777-300? Because i believe in 787 and all BA planes, PE has thinker armrests which cannot be moved
The armrests on the AA PE seats are fixed. Like BA, e.g.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
That's what I knew as well

But BA.com actually shows very clearly it's PE seat maps and the 380 cabin is shown as having aisle seats with movable armrests
​​​​​
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/seating/seat-maps/world-traveller-plus-seatmap
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So, here's my dilemma. I'm booked to fly AA LHR-->JFK in mid July on one of the 772s. Its a 45J 772. Im booked in 14A which is MCE. So, having followed the 772 and 77W modification thread, its clear the 77Ws are being refitted with PE in rather good time. Ive also heard that PE on certain routes wont be offered for sale until late June or July.

With my 14A seat assignment, am I at risk for being shifted to some random seat in the main cabin because 14A is suddenly going to change from MCE to PE? Should I rebook myself into 17A which is currently the last row of MCE but is the first row of MCE in a refitted 772?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.