Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c in progress

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c in progress

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:15 am

cova, thanks for the report.

So maybe check seat maps on J seats - and go for the PE seat with all seats facing forward - about 3" more space.
Not really sure how this would be possible. I’m on the CDG-DFW leg later this year and have been watching the route off and on. Thus far it seems to typically be the B/E planes on this route, but I have noticed on occasion that a Zodiac config will show up. I’m not sure whether that is because of planes swapping in/out for the P/E refit, or if it’s just a matter of positioning aircraft and on occasion the reels hit Zodiac.

The seat map for my flight shows the J cabin as forward facing, but that doesn’t mean a whole lot until the actual tail number is assigned.

Glad to see that they appear to be on schedule with their retrofit though, and that more people are getting to see the product first hand. I think it’s a good fit for people looking for/willing to pay for the option.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nkedel
It's all airline food; it's very rare that I've had a meal that I really enjoyed -- the last was some kind of western fish, can't remember if it was on AA J LAX-HKG or CX J SFO-HKG. Ended up getting a cash upgrade offer at check-in and decided to take it, so won't be able to comment on the service in PEY after all, but the food up in J was ... just OK. The side veg/potato with the beef was better than some times past, but it was exactly the same bland filet they'd been serving for 15+ years just with a layer of blue cheese on top that did not go with it at all but which mostly fell off without needing scraping.

Hard to imagine the PEY options being better, although I'd hope they won't be worse.
Lounge food is far superior.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
All LUS A330-200's are refitted with PE now. 2 are at KPAE, but if you have a flight on an A332 from here on, you will have a PE cabin.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Thanks for the report cova! Is the drinks (wine etc.) selection the same as in economy or something better?
They use the coach bar cart. The PE Menu card lists all the drinks - so they are free. The white wine was poured from a large bottle (1.5L) into a large soft plastic cup. (same ones they use for soft drinks). Wine wasn't that great but OK. The drink service is likely the most negative part of the service.

The carts come from the rear of the airplane - so they have to wheel them all the way through economy (narrow aisles).

Must work this way:
- Drink cart comes through first to PE. (same Economy cart)
- Food cart comes next - likely the first cart is part PE and part E. So they service PE first ( only 12 per side).
- Then when they run out in Economy, the next Economy cart is all E food.

So no practical way to have a separate drink cart for PE. (just drinks are free in PE).

Also - the PE seats don't recline enough to use the pillows for your head. Nobody used the pillow for their head.. A good use of the pillow is the back of the seat Gives you that lumbar support.

Also - the PE food did not agree with the menu.
On outbound the Short Ribs with twice baked potato was really a small fillet over rice.
On the inbound the Coconut Cake desert was really raspberry tart.

A few other variations as well. You can pre-order your choice of meal and can pre-order a special meal if you like - Hindu, Kosher, etc.

Last edited by cova; Jan 18, 2018 at 6:22 pm
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Not a fan on Premium Economy. BA used to it to stop Coach to Business upgrades. For me the reason to buy Business or First on long haul is to sleep and PE does not offer that. The rest is just smoke and mirrors. PE does not offer flat bed. MCE is great product as are First and Business. The real beneficiaries for PE are corporate flyers whose travel policy forbids Business or First but does not look at cost. Very often careful advance booking can produce Business fares on AA intrmational routes which offer excellent value for money. I run my own business, so set my own travel policy, hence my views on PE.

Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
All LUS A330-200's are refitted with PE now. 2 are at KPAE, but if you have a flight on an A332 from here on, you will have a PE cabin.
very good to know - so still using the same LUS J seats, but with brand new PE seats right behind them? Curious about how that looks. Anyone have any photos of PE on those LUS A332s?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by reuthermonkey
very good to know - so still using the same LUS J seats, but with brand new PE seats right behind them? Curious about how that looks. Anyone have any photos of PE on those LUS A332s?
Right. And the LUS J seats have been recovered and the cabin refreshed to match AA style, getting rid of the US Airways styling.

There are some pics of the PE cabin in this thread, I believe: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...thread-36.html
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by rjlon
Not a fan on Premium Economy. BA used to it to stop Coach to Business upgrades. For me the reason to buy Business or First on long haul is to sleep and PE does not offer that. The rest is just smoke and mirrors. PE does not offer flat bed. MCE is great product as are First and Business. The real beneficiaries for PE are corporate flyers whose travel policy forbids Business or First but does not look at cost. Very often careful advance booking can produce Business fares on AA intrmational routes which offer excellent value for money. I run my own business, so set my own travel policy, hence my views on PE.

Can't disagree with you here. Flatbeds with direct aisle access in J and the W product are vastly far apart than the differences between W and Y. Overnight flights, definitely taking J, no exceptions. However, this being said, on daytime flights such as Europe-US, I find W to be a perfectly acceptable product, especially if the seat has a legrest. I'm not planning on sleeping on the flights other than maybe accidentally dosing off for a short while. But to each his own.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
As a platinum pro, my first time, am I not entitled to PE? How about MCE.
My upgrade clear on the way back.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by trekker954
PE is considered a different class from main cabin, and at this point of time there is no complimentary upgrade to PE for PPro.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You are not entitled to PE. PE is a separate cabin and status is no more applicable to it than it would be for being allowed to sit in business class with an economy ticket

Hopefully, at some time, AA will create a redemption option which will allow use of miles to upgrade from economy to premium economy

If there are MCE seats available , then indeed you are entitled to select those
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:59 pm

Youre entitled to MCE. On this plane, MCE consists of rows 20, 31, 32 and the middle section of rows 33-35.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Djokison

Youre entitled to MCE. On this plane, MCE consists of rows 20, 31, 32 and the middle section of rows 33-35.
I think these answers are wrong, since I don't think AA is selling PEY on these flights until June 26 (or thereabouts), so if your flights MIA-LHR are before late June those PEY seats will indeed be MCE.

If I were you I would get an EF subscription and set a seat alert for those 16-19 rows, so that you get alerted the moment they are unblocked.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You are not entitled to PE. PE is a separate cabin and status is no more applicable to it than it would be for being allowed to sit in business class with an economy ticket

Hopefully, at some time, AA will create a redemption option which will allow use of miles to upgrade from economy to premium economy
<snipped>
Of course AA will create a redemption option... The current economy to business chart will become the economy to prem economy chart
The business to first class chart will become the pey to business chart
Someone will call it "Making American great again"
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I think these answers are wrong, since I don't think AA is selling PEY on these flights until June 26 (or thereabouts), so if your flights MIA-LHR are before late June those PEY seats will indeed be MCE.
No. They are selling PE on this route now. Just booked PE (P fare) leaving mid-Feb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.