Wiki Posts
Search

What will 50,000 points/miles buy?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SWA Styrofoam, Marriott Rew, SPG, HHonors
What will 50,000 points/miles buy?

Hello and thanks in advance for your help. I'm looking at an AA credit card with a 50,000 mile/point award after a minimum spend. I have no experience with AA so I'm wondering if I can get a TransCon flight with that level.

Assuming the seat selection will be lousy because I have no status is it possible to me to buy a roomier seat or more legroom?

Your help is appreciated.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Mrdonut
Hello and thanks in advance for your help. I'm looking at an AA credit card with a 50,000 mile/point award after a minimum spend. I have no experience with AA so I'm wondering if I can get a TransCon flight with that level.

Assuming the seat selection will be lousy because I have no status is it possible to me to buy a roomier seat or more legroom?

If you can find saver availability, you can redeem 50k for two round trip (four one-way) coach tickets or one round trip (two one-way) business class ticket on a transcon.

Full award chart:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...ward-chart.jsp
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
No. Coach awards don't permit a cash buy-up to Main Cabin Extra. Focus on First or Business awards if that is a problem.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
best use of 50,000 miles in my experience has always been transcon business class. That is, of course, if you can even find a SAAver level ticket. JFK-LAX/SFO isn't going to happen at that level. You can also buy discount economy and upgrade for 15,000 miles plus $75 copay. That, in my opinion, is another great value for anything over 3 hours, especially on a cheap coach ticket. Good luck.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Don't overlook the possibility of redeeming for a reduced-mileage award:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...dmileageawards

And remember: Once you have a qualifying Citi/AA credit card, you get a 10% rebate on your award redemptions, up to a maximum rebate of 10,000 AA miles per year.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
While the OP may not be able to get a Saver J Award for a direct transcon if he is willing to connect he can probably find an F Award for 50K. Not sure where he is located but there are some widebodies on shorter domestic runs (763 and 777 MIA/DFW for example).
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:34 pm

AA does have award charts posted on its web pages. Always best to go to the source.

Assuming you aren't very experienced with award travel, note that just because the charts say that 50K miles is enough to book certain flights, does not mean that award seats will be available on those flights. Award availability is very limited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.