Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA (specific) passport policy / policies (master thread)

Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines (specific) Passport Policies

For general passport discussion that is not specifically pertinent to AA policies, please visit the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum (link).

For country visa and entry requirements, AA employees consult IATA's TIMATIC system for the decision to allow you to fly. You can consult TIMATIC as well:

Link (IATA Travel Centre)

Link (United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
It's possible that either Timatic or the website itself haven't been updated. Most likely it's the website. Every agent I know goes by Timatic and will not grant an exception based on a website when it's their job on the line.
Spain's and France's websites are current and accurate in this respect, according to their embassies. Neither their websites nor Timatic have been updated for quite some time.

Agreed that agents will go by Timatic rather than a country's website. What's unclear is whether they will go by Timatic or AA's more conservative six month policy.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs

Just out of curiosity, why play it that close?

When my passport has a year left, I look for a period with no international trips planned and send in my passport for renewal. I don't want to worry about getting turned away for an expiring passport.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Just out of curiosity, why play it that close?

When my passport has a year left, I look for a period with no international trips planned and send in my passport for renewal. I don't want to worry about getting turned away for an expiring passport.
If you're asking me, at this point I'd like to understand AA's policy and practice and why different sources give different answers.

Renewal tip: you can take a photo yourself, use an app to get the correct sizing and print at CVS for about $0.35. Results are much better than the commercial passport photo places I've used.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
Spain's and France's websites are current and accurate in this respect, according to their embassies. Neither their websites nor Timatic have been updated for quite some time.

Agreed that agents will go by Timatic rather than a country's website. What's unclear is whether they will go by Timatic or AA's more conservative six month policy.
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but since I'm looking at the question now....

The pertinent part of the web site of the Spanish gov't was updated on March 30, 2017, and states: "The document must be valid for al least three months following the projected exit from the territory of the Members States, and must have been issued within the last ten years." Naturally, the AA site still lists the 6-month requirement. I tried running my info (passport expires >3 months after our return to the US) in a version of TIMATIC that was linked in some thread or other, and it said my documentation was fine.

So the question remains, which will prevail at check-in, AA's rule or TIMATIC? I read convincing posts above that said the latter, but still, one worries. I wrote to AA Customer Service, if I get a useful reply I'll share it here.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Helen F
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but since I'm looking at the question now....

The pertinent part of the web site of the Spanish gov't was updated on March 30, 2017, and states: "The document must be valid for al least three months following the projected exit from the territory of the Members States, and must have been issued within the last ten years." Naturally, the AA site still lists the 6-month requirement. I tried running my info (passport expires >3 months after our return to the US) in a version of TIMATIC that was linked in some thread or other, and it said my documentation was fine.

So the question remains, which will prevail at check-in, AA's rule or TIMATIC? I read convincing posts above that said the latter, but still, one worries. I wrote to AA Customer Service, if I get a useful reply I'll share it here.
AA used TIMATIC to verify requirements. Unlike what other airlines do, AA does not provide a link to see what the requirements are so you have to go hunting for the tool. The other issue I've experienced with AA, the GAs are likely to stop reading as soon as they find a way to say no and you have to encourage them to read on to find the exception that applies to your case. Even their travel Czar in Dallas was not up to speed on TWOV rules for China.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:08 am

There is a long thread about a guy who was denied boarding on a Transit Without Visa ticket to China.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...arding-aa.html

Essentially, the passenger was denied boarding due to the AA ticket agent's interpretation of TIMATIC. The passenger incurred a lot of expense, and eventually got through to someone at AA who was able to address his situation properly. If you read the thread, skip to the end and read about the resolution.

My own take-home lesson from this present thread and the TWOV thread is to not take chances. It's not that big a deal to renew a passport (or get a Chinese visa).

I would rather do that than risk missing my trip, incurring other expense and having to deal with fighting for a refund and other compensation.

Murphy knew all about human nature when he wrote his Law.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
My own take-home lesson from this present thread and the TWOV thread is to not take chances. It's not that big a deal to renew a passport (or get a Chinese visa).

I would rather do that than risk missing my trip, incurring other expense and having to deal with fighting for a refund and other compensation.

Agree. Due to certain country restrictions, practicality dictates our passports really expire six months prior to the stated expiration date. Renew it!
Old May 9, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
AA used TIMATIC to verify requirements. Unlike what other airlines do, AA does not provide a link to see what the requirements are so you have to go hunting for the tool. The other issue I've experienced with AA, the GAs are likely to stop reading as soon as they find a way to say no and you have to encourage them to read on to find the exception that applies to your case. Even their travel Czar in Dallas was not up to speed on TWOV rules for China.
Funny thing, they do refer readers and provide a link to the State Department site, which states 6 months preferred, but at least 3 months from date of departure from Spain. So on the same page that AA states flatly that it has to be 6 months, the authority they cite says otherwise.

I am afraid I will freak out my partner with the news that we need to get a new passport before we go. I can hear it now ("I have too many deadlines looming, to take any extra days off before we go away!!!") I will see if I get a satisfactory answer from AA CS, and if not, I'll introduce the news gently: "Your passport is on the roof, and it won't come down...." We'll get it done, if we have to.
Old May 9, 2017, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There is a long thread about a guy who was denied boarding on a Transit Without Visa ticket to China.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...arding-aa.html

Essentially, the passenger was denied boarding due to the AA ticket agent's interpretation of TIMATIC. The passenger incurred a lot of expense, and eventually got through to someone at AA who was able to address his situation properly. If you read the thread, skip to the end and read about the resolution.

I disagree. It can be a big and expensive deal to get an unnecessary visa for China. The cost is $160 plus miscellaneous costs for passport photos and getting oneself to and from the Chinese consulate. If you cannot go to the consulate in person, you must find and use a visa service agency. Their fees can be easily be a couple hundred dollars, depending on the agency's reputation and the need for quick processing, plus FedEx fees. Most people would prefer to spend that money for a few extra days overseas or generally on something else.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
AA used TIMATIC to verify requirements. Unlike what other airlines do, AA does not provide a link to see what the requirements are so you have to go hunting for the tool....
Actually, they have it hidden in plain sight. If you look at their page about international travel, at the end of the first paragraph there's a link labeled "Documents and requirements you need to travel" The link takes you right to the IATA page.

It's funny that the beginning of that paragraph says, "International travel doesnt have to be tricky". It wouldn't seem so tricky, if only the airline would put out information not in conflict with the sources it sends you to for reference.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:10 pm

So, is this an answer or a non-answer?
Documentation requirements for international travel can change frequently -- sometimes with little advance notice. Therefore, it is our policy -- and that of most other airlines -- that documentation requirements are the full responsibility of the traveler.

We do provide pertinent information as an accommodation; for the convenience of our customers, we subscribe to a sophisticated data base which provides up-to-date information on the entry requirements and regulations for nearly 200 countries. Since we are subject to government fines for carrying customers without proper documentation, we also use this data base to make decisions about whether or not to accept passengers for travel based on the documentation in their possession at the time of departure. Nonetheless, since there are many changes and a limitless number of variables, we do not accept the responsibility for expenses, delays, reroutings or other losses associated to inadequate documentation.
I've already written back, to see if they will confirm that the agent will abide by what the database reflects, and not by what the AA web site says.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Funny thing, they do refer readers and provide a link to the State Department site, which states 6 months preferred, but at least 3 months from date of departure from Spain. So on the same page that AA states flatly that it has to be 6 months, the authority they cite says otherwise.

I am afraid I will freak out my partner with the news that we need to get a new passport before we go. I can hear it now ("I have too many deadlines looming, to take any extra days off before we go away!!!") I will see if I get a satisfactory answer from AA CS, and if not, I'll introduce the news gently: "Your passport is on the roof, and it won't come down...." We'll get it done, if we have to.
Can renew by mail. No need to take time off.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I disagree. It can be a big and expensive deal to get an unnecessary visa for China. The cost is $160 plus miscellaneous costs for passport photos and getting oneself to and from the Chinese consulate. If you cannot go to the consulate in person, you must find and use a visa service agency. Their fees can be easily be a couple hundred dollars, depending on the agency's reputation and the need for quick processing, plus FedEx fees. Most people would prefer to spend that money for a few extra days overseas or generally on something else.
Have someone you trust drop it off.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
Renewal tip: you can take a photo yourself, use an app to get the correct sizing and print at CVS for about $0.35. Results are much better than the commercial passport photo places I've used.
Well, if one goes to a photo equipped CVS anyway, they do make instant passport photos right there on the spot.

The photo you take yourself may look more flattering, though, if you know what you are doing.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Your point of view is perfectly valid. I am a risk-adverse person, so I would probably go to the expense and trouble of getting a Chinese visa. But, then, I live near Los Angeles where there is a Chinese consulate general not to far from where I live. I might share your opinion if I lived far away from a Chinese embassy or consulate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.