Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Choices if F meals suck? [will crew bring food from Y cabin?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choices if F meals suck? [will crew bring food from Y cabin?]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Question Choices if F meals suck? [will crew bring food from Y cabin?]

Hey all,

I'm doing a MR tomorrow in paid F. I was checking out the food options on some of the flights and the dinner choices ex-SJU look nasty. Can you ask for a sandwich from the back, and will AA honor that request? Sadly, the sandwiches look better than these entree choices.

I know UA would, but I haven't had this experience on AA yet.

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Superguy
Hey all,

I'm doing a MR tomorrow in paid F. I was checking out the food options on some of the flights and the dinner choices ex-SJU look nasty. Can you ask for a sandwich from the back, and will AA honor that request? Sadly, the sandwiches look better than these entree choices.

Thanks!
It happened to me once. The FA said that after all Y paxs were served and if there were left over sandwiches I could have one. I would suspect its going to be FA dependent-either yes, yes if anything if left after serving Y, or no.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
After having a $10 wrap last week that was about 75% tortilla, I can attest that the options in economy aren't necessarily any better. If I were you I'd buy something in the terminal.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Superguy
I think this is more dependent on the FA than the airline... there are complaints in the UA forum that UA FAs insist on charging for a BOB meal. I've had success on both airlines, with the exception being when the BOB meals have already sold out.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:09 am

On LAX-KOA recently, passengers in front of my did not like the F meal and were offered to choose from everything AA had on board. The crew then tried to plate their selection as nicely as possible.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I didn't like either of the F breakfast options HNL-LAX a couple of days ago so I went down the back, asked for a menu with a comment that I none of the F meals were to my taste (intended to explain why I hadn't studied it before going to the galley, all seats were full so I could not grab one from an economy seat on the way past). I chose the "breakfast croissant" and a snack box and tried to pay, but was given them for free since I was in F. A nice service recovery effort.

I hadn't complained to the FA at the front, I just went to fix the problem myself. I also think that at the time I went, the FAs in the back had done the initial sandwich run, if there was any question of them running out it would have been alleviated.

Thinking of the "croissant" as a bread roll rather than a pastry and removing the cheese slices made the "breakfast croissant" a reasonable sandwich, and the snack box isn't bad either.

(Croissants in the USA are, unfortunately, almost always a miserable imitation of the French flaky pastry, but as a bread roll they work OK. Americans use flour that's too strong and don't bake them hot enough.)
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flightrisk
I think this is more dependent on the FA than the airline... there are complaints in the UA forum that UA FAs insist on charging for a BOB meal. I've had success on both airlines, with the exception being when the BOB meals have already sold out.
Perhaps. The UA crews that it happened with were generally pretty stellar in other ways, so it could have just been them going above and beyond.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
My last flight, MIA-BOS, the woman across from me asked to be served just the fruit for breakfast. The FA took fruit from the other F passengers trays and created a large fruit plate for her. I did not eat my three grapes and single unripe strawberry in protest

I agree with the suggestion of bringing your own food, versus risking a Y meal.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: US Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Where on the website can one view the meal options? I know you can call reservations to learn what they are but can't locate the information on their site. Suggestions?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
If you're going to be out of the airport in San Juan, go to Kasalta and pick up one of their fantastic sandwiches.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Flying Gator
Where on the website can one view the meal options? I know you can call reservations to learn what they are but can't locate the information on their site. Suggestions?
Currently it's suspended except when making a new reservation within 30 days of the flight. So for an existing reservation, you have to call or use twitter.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:30 pm

If inedible, eat the cookie. I doubt they would screw that up. Then chalk up the lack of meal to helping lose weight.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAMillionaire
If you're going to be out of the airport in San Juan, go to Kasalta and pick up one of their fantastic sandwiches.
I'll have to check that out. I probably won't have much time on Saturday unless the flight gets in early as I have a 40 minute connection. I'll have more time on the way back though.

As others said, it's currently suspended unless you're making a reservation within 30 days. I ended up doing dummy booking of my itinerary to see what was available.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Flying Gator
AA IT has not figured out how to allow you to select a meal other than when booking a flight and that flight is within 30-days. So they have also concluded you do not need to see the choices since you can't choose. Instead, AA wants you to call/tweet taking up your time and that of the CSR agent to send you the choices and then post your request once you've decided.

Given they have put their attention to accomplishing the merger of the two airlines, this does fall way low on their priorities.

Too bad no one at AA thought to issue a food voucher good at any airport restaurant so you can stop by and pick out what you like and bring it aboard yourself. Just think of all the labor that would save!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:54 pm

It's pretty universal amongst LAA crews that they will bring you something from the back (providing there is food back there) if you don't like the the F food offerings. Whether they charge for it or not, is usually left up to the discretion of the flight attendant. I'd say 70% of the time they won't charge you. If you are extremely polite and ask very nicely for the Y food I'd say that number goes up to 95%.

To my knowledge there is no specific procedure on what FA's are technically "supposed" to do in this situation.

As others have mentioned, the food back in Y isn't always something to write home about either. The breakfast croissant/sandwich does the trick but besides that you may be better off with the F stuff or better yet terminal food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.