Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: AA SPML - Special Meal (vegetarian, gluten intolerant, child, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Special meals and nut allergies and Special meals and dietary requests

AA currently makes a number of “special meals” available on certain flights; they must be requested at least 24 hours in advance. Please see this page on AA.com for current information.

"Special meals are available on select flights with scheduled, complimentary meal service. Similar to scheduled meal service, they are based on departure time, destination and flight length. Menus vary monthly to ensure fresh and seasonal ingredients." See listing of special meals available from AA below.

How to request your special meal:
  • Make sure your flight has scheduled meal service
  • Determine which specialty meal meets your need
  • Call to order
Or
  • This option is available at least 24 hours before and up to 30 days in advance of your departure.
  • Select on Your Trips
  • Select View/Change on your reservation
  • Go down to Reserve a Meal.
  • When you arrive at the airport, advise the gate agent and flight attendants that you ordered a special meal
  • Call Reservations if you booked through American Airlines or contact your travel agent if you booked with an agency.

Contact Reservations (link)

For your interest, airline meal codes for SPML offerings on AA. The list of options may appear extensive but in practice the variety is much reduced due to duplication
  • AVML - Asian Vegetarian Meal
  • BBML - Baby / Infant Food
  • BLML - Bland Meal
  • CHML - Children’s Meal
  • DBML - Diabetic Meal
  • GFML - Gluten-free Meal
  • HNML - Hindu Meal
  • KSML - Kosher (Jewish) Meal
  • LFML – Low Fat Meal
  • LSML – Low Sodium Meal
  • MOML - Muslim (Halal) Meal
  • NLML – Non-Lactose Meal
  • VGML - Vegetarian Meal (non-dairy)
  • VLML – Vegetarian Lacto-ovo Meal
  • VVML – Vegetarian Vegan Meal
Other special meal codes may be viewed at AirlinesMeals.com here.

From British Airways, definitions of these meals:
  • Asian vegetarian - Does not contain fish, shellfish, meat, poultry or eggs. It is a meatless meal and spicy in content.
  • Baby meal - ?
  • Bland - For those with digestive tract and gut disorders. Excludes mustard, pickles, garlic, fried and fatty food.
  • Child meal - Contains a combination of familiar and fun foods.
  • Diabetic - For those who need to manage blood sugar levels. Foods excluded are sugars, syrups, jams, cakes and chocolate, unless specifically for diabetics.
  • Gluten intolerant - Foods excluded are wheat or wheat flour, barley oats and rye, bread, cakes (unless wheat free), pastry, sausages or any flour based products.
  • Hindu - Does not contain beef, beef derivatives, veal or pork, it is not a meatless meal.
  • Kosher Meal - These meals are prepared to comply with Jewish dietary laws.
  • Lacto-ovo vegetarian - Does not contain meat, fish or seafood. May contain dairy products such as milk, butter, cheese and eggs etc.
  • Low fat - High fibre meal with reduced amounts of fat.
  • Low lactose - Excludes cheese, dairy products and their derivatives and lactose or milk products.
  • Low salt - Excludes use of salt, MSG and baking soda/powder, instead herbs and spices are used to flavour the meal.
  • Muslim Meal - Does not contain pork, by-products of pork or foodstuffs containing alcohol. All meats come from ritually slaughtered animals.
  • Vegan vegetarian - Does not contain meat, fish, fowl, eggs, honey, dairy products or derivatives. If vegan is not specified, then a lacto ovo meal will be provided.

Archive of previous posts: ARCHIVE: Ordering SPML / Special Meal - how, what (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Guide: AA SPML - Special Meal (vegetarian, gluten intolerant, child, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 3:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Ewwwww what is that?
Originally Posted by twa777
My guess would be that it's grilled polenta on a bulgar wheat salad. That plus the caprese salad actually look and sound like one of the better vegetarian meals in my book, though I know the taste of in-flight meals often doesn't match up to appearances.
I asked myself the same. It is indeed polenta and bulgur or something similar. It was very dry as there was no sauce or so whatsoever.
Old May 14, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
There's definitely been a secondary quiet, yet good change here.

AA.com used to list just three domestic routes (JFK-SFO, JFK-LAX, MIA-LAX) where special meals were available, but now lists simply:

On a midcon out of Phoenix today I was offered the full selection for preorder, and ordered the Kosher meal. My expectations were fairly low on it actually being catered with a preorder 25 hours before the flight, but when I boarded the flight attendant confirmed with me that it was onboard.

It was a frozen Borenstein Caterers meal on AA plating with a use by date on the entree portion in May and the tray in April. It was the same meal which you'd typically receive on an international J flight, so it was more substantial than that standard offering.

As AA has no long haul services out of Phoenix, this type of meal wouldn't have been on hand there in the past. There's definitely some additional logistics going on here and I'm very happy that AA has made this change to accommodate customers.

I also don't see these available yet out of ORD, but I do have a flight from RDU to ORD in February where the choices are offered.
Was it served slightly frozen, though? I tried one too out of CLT and was basically rock solid, save the main.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Bland meal in first intl 777w

Can anyone shed light on what exactly is the bland meal. All it says is it excludes, spices, pickles, garlic, etc. But what type of protein and or carb does it include. My adult daughter is turning up her nose at most of the meals. She would be happy with a bowl of white rice or plain spaghetti, that is her type of meal. I know that isn't a choice. Weird, I have no idea why.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by trekker954
All it says is it excludes, spices, pickles, garlic, etc.
So it's the same as the chicken dish, then?
ComplexAnalysis likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The jokes just write themselves don't they?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Then maybe OP's adult daughter can continue to turn up her nose, AND just bring whatever the ... heck she wants.

There are only 8 F seats, so remember, if OP/adult daughter went to catholic school, bring enough for everyone!

OBTW-FA's don't count-they have a union that probably would prevent sharing without filing a grievance first.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trekker954
Can anyone shed light on what exactly is the bland meal. All it says is it excludes, spices, pickles, garlic, etc. But what type of protein and or carb does it include. My adult daughter is turning up her nose at most of the meals. She would be happy with a bowl of white rice or plain spaghetti, that is her type of meal. I know that isn't a choice. Weird, I have no idea why.
All I can tell you is that in the deep past, when AA tried to make one meal that would simultaneously apparently fit a lot of the special meal classifications, I was getting vegetarian (actually vegan) meals with spiceless lentils and quinoa, or spiceless black beans and corn, or spiceless garbanzo beans and rice, which seemed to me as if they were trying to hit "bland" and "vegan" and "vegetarian" all with the same meal. (I don't see why else these meals would be always be spiceless.) If you're familiar with combining proteins, you'll spot both of those combinations as excellent proteins in combination, those useless (for humans) as proteins if not combined.

I don't know if they still do this or not, but this suggests that it's possible that a bland meal might have vegan combined proteins (though it might not).
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've been trying to get the Hindu meal, based on reports of its yumminess, with little success. DFW-MCO catering didn't load any special meal, and last night's CLT-AUS catering loaded the Asian vegetarian (AVML) instead of the Hindu meal (HNML). I guess I'll keep trying. Although the Asian veg meal wasn't bad.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I have a bad feeling that there might be negative changes coming. I'm booked in first JFK-DEN in a few days and can only select one of the normal choices (or special order fruit & cheese plate) but no special meals.

I checked with AA twitter and they said special meals only available on domestic flights > 2200 miles. Then they sent me this helpful link to explain: bit.ly/AASPCLMEALS ... where is says:

Originally Posted by aa.com
Special meals are available in First or Business on most flights with meal service in the U.S.

So I called EXP desk about another matter and remembered to ask about it. She tried to book AVML (my preference) but it wasn't allowed. She tried VGML & HNML just to see and no luck. She did find both the 2200 mile reference and the "most flights" reference and just shrugged and said its < 2200 so no meal.

On CLT-DEN 10 days ago I had no problem pre-ordering a AVML, so either there is something special about JFK-DEN, or they are back to allowing it on transcon/hawaii flights (> 2200 miles) only.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by qasr

I checked with AA twitter and they said special meals only available on domestic flights > 2200 miles. Then they sent me this helpful link to explain: bit.ly/AASPCLMEALS ... where is says:

The link to that page is displayed rather prominently in the Wikipost at the top of the page.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
The link to that page is displayed rather prominently in the Wikipost at the top of the page.
Understood, but not my point.

The aa.com page says "most domestic flights" but twitter and phone agents are now saying flights over 2200 miles which is drastically different
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another datapoint, no SPML offered on DEN-LAX. Was on regional (compass) so maybe that is why, but it seems like they've canned anything < 2200 miles domestically
Old Jun 30, 2018, 6:26 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by qasr
Another datapoint, no SPML offered on DEN-LAX. Was on regional (compass) so maybe that is why, but it seems like they've canned anything < 2200 miles domestically
I have a couple upcoming domestic midcon flights that are all <2200 miles and was able to preorder special meals. ^
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This month I ordered SPML on DFW-MCO, CLT-AUS, and AUS-PHL. All less than 2200 miles.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have I been banned from Special Meals maybe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.