Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: AA SPML - Special Meal (vegetarian, gluten intolerant, child, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Special meals and nut allergies and Special meals and dietary requests

AA currently makes a number of “special meals” available on certain flights; they must be requested at least 24 hours in advance. Please see this page on AA.com for current information.

"Special meals are available on select flights with scheduled, complimentary meal service. Similar to scheduled meal service, they are based on departure time, destination and flight length. Menus vary monthly to ensure fresh and seasonal ingredients." See listing of special meals available from AA below.

How to request your special meal:
  • Make sure your flight has scheduled meal service
  • Determine which specialty meal meets your need
  • Call to order
Or
  • This option is available at least 24 hours before and up to 30 days in advance of your departure.
  • Select on Your Trips
  • Select View/Change on your reservation
  • Go down to Reserve a Meal.
  • When you arrive at the airport, advise the gate agent and flight attendants that you ordered a special meal
  • Call Reservations if you booked through American Airlines or contact your travel agent if you booked with an agency.

Contact Reservations (link)

For your interest, airline meal codes for SPML offerings on AA. The list of options may appear extensive but in practice the variety is much reduced due to duplication
  • AVML - Asian Vegetarian Meal
  • BBML - Baby / Infant Food
  • BLML - Bland Meal
  • CHML - Children’s Meal
  • DBML - Diabetic Meal
  • GFML - Gluten-free Meal
  • HNML - Hindu Meal
  • KSML - Kosher (Jewish) Meal
  • LFML – Low Fat Meal
  • LSML – Low Sodium Meal
  • MOML - Muslim (Halal) Meal
  • NLML – Non-Lactose Meal
  • VGML - Vegetarian Meal (non-dairy)
  • VLML – Vegetarian Lacto-ovo Meal
  • VVML – Vegetarian Vegan Meal
Other special meal codes may be viewed at AirlinesMeals.com here.

From British Airways, definitions of these meals:
  • Asian vegetarian - Does not contain fish, shellfish, meat, poultry or eggs. It is a meatless meal and spicy in content.
  • Baby meal - ?
  • Bland - For those with digestive tract and gut disorders. Excludes mustard, pickles, garlic, fried and fatty food.
  • Child meal - Contains a combination of familiar and fun foods.
  • Diabetic - For those who need to manage blood sugar levels. Foods excluded are sugars, syrups, jams, cakes and chocolate, unless specifically for diabetics.
  • Gluten intolerant - Foods excluded are wheat or wheat flour, barley oats and rye, bread, cakes (unless wheat free), pastry, sausages or any flour based products.
  • Hindu - Does not contain beef, beef derivatives, veal or pork, it is not a meatless meal.
  • Kosher Meal - These meals are prepared to comply with Jewish dietary laws.
  • Lacto-ovo vegetarian - Does not contain meat, fish or seafood. May contain dairy products such as milk, butter, cheese and eggs etc.
  • Low fat - High fibre meal with reduced amounts of fat.
  • Low lactose - Excludes cheese, dairy products and their derivatives and lactose or milk products.
  • Low salt - Excludes use of salt, MSG and baking soda/powder, instead herbs and spices are used to flavour the meal.
  • Muslim Meal - Does not contain pork, by-products of pork or foodstuffs containing alcohol. All meats come from ritually slaughtered animals.
  • Vegan vegetarian - Does not contain meat, fish, fowl, eggs, honey, dairy products or derivatives. If vegan is not specified, then a lacto ovo meal will be provided.

Archive of previous posts: ARCHIVE: Ordering SPML / Special Meal - how, what (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Guide: AA SPML - Special Meal (vegetarian, gluten intolerant, child, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Special Meal Quality / Factors?

Has anyone noticed any consistency (in terms of quality) of the Hindu meal out of various airports? For example, do flights originating out of certain airports have worse food? Or is the special meal quality a function of the caterer?

Specifically, is the HNML out of JFK generally good, or is it very hard to predict?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP

AA91 LHR-ORD yesterday: Asian vegetarian meal
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Special meals are combined, though. Ie, the vegetarian special meal is also likely to be vegan as well as gluten-free (so that they can stock one special meal for three or more applications). So expect corn and quinoa and rice, etc, as the grains, and expect nothing diary..
I don't know where the myth that the gluten-free meals are vegetarian started, but it isn't true. IME the gluten-free meals are more likely to have animal products, including meat, than the vegetarian ones because gluten intolerance is an adverse reaction to certain plant proteins. The last GF meal I had on AA was chicken (of course) on rice, salad, and cheese for "dessert".

Of course trusting that AA's kitchens know what gluten is is a risk. Breakfast on one flight was Rice Crispies which are not gluten-free. Fortunately the FA was able to find us some yogurt.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat

AVML Meal from CLT to SFO

This is the Asian Vegetarian (AVML) meal on the CLT-SFO flight on 04/27.

The main dish was an okra curry (pretty spicy), spinach (saag), a small samosa, and rice that was all pretty good. However, the appetizer that seemed to be asparagus, tomato, red pepper slice and onions was quite plain.

I believe the dessert with the fruit was gulab jamun, an Indian dessert of cake balls soaked in a sugar syrup. They were decent, but I still took up the offer for an ice cream sundae when offered.
kar don likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I don't know where the myth that the gluten-free meals are vegetarian started, but it isn't true. IME the gluten-free meals are more likely to have animal products, including meat, than the vegetarian ones because gluten intolerance is an adverse reaction to certain plant proteins. The last GF meal I had on AA was chicken (of course) on rice, salad, and cheese for "dessert".

Of course trusting that AA's kitchens know what gluten is is a risk. Breakfast on one flight was Rice Crispies which are not gluten-free. Fortunately the FA was able to find us some yogurt.
I wasn't saying the gluten-free meal was necessarily the same as the vegetarian meal, I just noted that it often could be, since they usually use rice and corn as the grains, not wheat stuff.

Maybe they design this so they can use vegan/vegetarian special meals as backups if they run out of the main gluten-free special meal? Or maybe they assume a lot of vegans/vegetarians also want gluten-free (but just don't publish this)? Otherwise, I don't understand why they'd continuously avoid gluten-containing grains in the vegan/vegetarian special meals.
Old May 1, 2018, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I wasn't saying the gluten-free meal was necessarily the same as the vegetarian meal, I just noted that it often could be, since they usually use rice and corn as the grains, not wheat stuff.

Maybe they design this so they can use vegan/vegetarian special meals as backups if they run out of the main gluten-free special meal? Or maybe they assume a lot of vegans/vegetarians also want gluten-free (but just don't publish this)? Otherwise, I don't understand why they'd continuously avoid gluten-containing grains in the vegan/vegetarian special meals.
My experience on several carriers with the gluten-free meals is that they require significant advance reservation and arrive with the pax's name and seat number on them. I belong to several large celiac groups and have never heard of a carrier boarding extra GF meals - they're more likely to "forget" to board them. And it's not just "rice and corn" that would determine if the meal is gluten-free, it has to be prepared in such a way as to avoid cross contamination with gluten containing foods. I would never accept a vegan/vegetarian meal as a substitute for a gluten-free meal.

Have you actually ever had a gluten-free meal on a plane, or are you just randomly speculating about them? Because your comments suggest you don't understand what a gluten-free meal is or what is involved in the preparation and handling of one. Vegan/vegetarian ≠ gluten-free.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Have you actually ever had a gluten-free meal on a plane, or are you just randomly speculating about them? Because your comments suggest you don't understand what a gluten-free meal is or what is involved in the preparation and handling of one. Vegan/vegetarian ≠ gluten-free.
No, I haven't ever ordered a gluten-free special meal, and I'm not sure what that would show me. As you said, details in preparation matter, and I'm not sure I could spot sub-microscopic details in perpartion..

I wasn't claiming these meals were definitely gluten-free. I was just noticing a pattern of me never getting gluten grain in vegan/vegetarian special meals, while I did get them in other meals. So I wondered why.

Plus I know that vegan and vegetarian are often combined, because I'm so used to getting margarine instead of butter (ugh) on so called lacto-ovo vegeterian meals. The only reason to give margarine instead of butter is to avoid dairy, which is not needed for true lacto-ovo vegetarian. So I wonder how many other meals either are today or at least were in the past re-used for multiple categories. (At one time years ago, I seem to remember someone claiming that about 3 or 4 or 5 different special meals were actually the same meal most of the time, because they found it easier to make one meal that satisfied all those categories than to make 3 or 4 or 5 different meals. But [a] that was years ago, and i don't know if it's still true, and [b] I never special ordered anything other than lacto-ovo vegetarian myself.

Meanwhile, for every person who truly needs gluten-free for medical reasons, there are several people who are eating gluten-free just because they think it might help them in some vague way. This latter group is not going to get sick if one meal is not totally gluten-free. They'd just prefer gluten free.

Now, obviously, any official gluten free meal has to be strict enough for people who would get sick if gluten was included. But "extra unofficial" gluten-free meals could help if someone who doesn't absolutely need it (but feels it's somehow better for them) wants it. These meals couldn't be labeled as gluten free, but could be recommended as "close to gluten free" for those people who only need that standard.

Last edited by sdsearch; May 1, 2018 at 7:40 pm
Old May 3, 2018, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Not so Asian Vegetarian on LAX-PEK in premium economy as other airlines its been something good compared to normal. I was going to do the Hindu meal on the return but since regular meal looked so good on outbound changed to normal meal (which i regret)

Nothing special. Same potato that came with the short rib option

I thought they accidentally served me the mid-flight snack since it didn't fit with my tray (and hung off the tray table. I've never been an eggplant fan but it was pretty tasty.

The mid-flight snack.

Breakfast tasted better than it looked. It was a french toast covered in fruit and granola?

Old May 3, 2018, 10:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A friendly reminder: the title of this thread is Guide: AA SPML - Special Meals (vegetarian, gluten intolerant, child, etc.), and this is the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum.

Extended discussions on various medical conditions such as allergies, etc. are not appropriate here. Such will be summarily deleted, to keep this thread on topic.

Thank you,

twa777 likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:14 pm

That potato does look pretty sad. I know nice meal presentation on a flight is a lot to ask for, but it really does play a big factor for many people in how much they appreciate a meal. I'm also not much of a fan of the trend to have cold asparagus on salads. Can we bring back the quinoa trend instead?

Presentation aside, the french toast does look pretty tasty. I rarely make it Asia, but I'd be happy to see that for breakfast on my next flight to Europe instead of the same-old fruit and yogurt that never seems to change.
Old May 13, 2018, 2:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Inedible vegetarian entrée on PHL-MAN last Friday:

Old May 13, 2018, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Ewwwww what is that?
Old May 13, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Ewwwww what is that?
My guess would be that it's grilled polenta on a bulgar wheat salad. That plus the caprese salad actually look and sound like one of the better vegetarian meals in my book, though I know the taste of in-flight meals often doesn't match up to appearances.
Old May 13, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Confirmation?

For those who have called to preorder a special meal because it wasn’t available as an online option, so you see any confirmation in your reservation that a special meal is on tap? Agent on phone was pleasant and said it would be there for me, but on my ‘select meals’ page when I looked later it still shows ‘choose later’.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
For those who have called to preorder a special meal because it wasn’t available as an online option, so you see any confirmation in your reservation that a special meal is on tap? Agent on phone was pleasant and said it would be there for me, but on my ‘select meals’ page when I looked later it still shows ‘choose later’.
At least in Y, there was no confirmation in the online reservation, but I recieved the special meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.