Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: AA SPML - Special Meal (vegetarian, gluten intolerant, child, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Special meals and nut allergies and Special meals and dietary requests

AA currently makes a number of “special meals” available on certain flights; they must be requested at least 24 hours in advance. Please see this page on AA.com for current information.

"Special meals are available on select flights with scheduled, complimentary meal service. Similar to scheduled meal service, they are based on departure time, destination and flight length. Menus vary monthly to ensure fresh and seasonal ingredients." See listing of special meals available from AA below.

How to request your special meal:
  • Make sure your flight has scheduled meal service
  • Determine which specialty meal meets your need
  • Call to order
Or
  • This option is available at least 24 hours before and up to 30 days in advance of your departure.
  • Select on Your Trips
  • Select View/Change on your reservation
  • Go down to Reserve a Meal.
  • When you arrive at the airport, advise the gate agent and flight attendants that you ordered a special meal
  • Call Reservations if you booked through American Airlines or contact your travel agent if you booked with an agency.

Contact Reservations (link)

For your interest, airline meal codes for SPML offerings on AA. The list of options may appear extensive but in practice the variety is much reduced due to duplication
  • AVML - Asian Vegetarian Meal
  • BBML - Baby / Infant Food
  • BLML - Bland Meal
  • CHML - Children’s Meal
  • DBML - Diabetic Meal
  • GFML - Gluten-free Meal
  • HNML - Hindu Meal
  • KSML - Kosher (Jewish) Meal
  • LFML – Low Fat Meal
  • LSML – Low Sodium Meal
  • MOML - Muslim (Halal) Meal
  • NLML – Non-Lactose Meal
  • VGML - Vegetarian Meal (non-dairy)
  • VLML – Vegetarian Lacto-ovo Meal
  • VVML – Vegetarian Vegan Meal
Other special meal codes may be viewed at AirlinesMeals.com here.

From British Airways, definitions of these meals:
  • Asian vegetarian - Does not contain fish, shellfish, meat, poultry or eggs. It is a meatless meal and spicy in content.
  • Baby meal - ?
  • Bland - For those with digestive tract and gut disorders. Excludes mustard, pickles, garlic, fried and fatty food.
  • Child meal - Contains a combination of familiar and fun foods.
  • Diabetic - For those who need to manage blood sugar levels. Foods excluded are sugars, syrups, jams, cakes and chocolate, unless specifically for diabetics.
  • Gluten intolerant - Foods excluded are wheat or wheat flour, barley oats and rye, bread, cakes (unless wheat free), pastry, sausages or any flour based products.
  • Hindu - Does not contain beef, beef derivatives, veal or pork, it is not a meatless meal.
  • Kosher Meal - These meals are prepared to comply with Jewish dietary laws.
  • Lacto-ovo vegetarian - Does not contain meat, fish or seafood. May contain dairy products such as milk, butter, cheese and eggs etc.
  • Low fat - High fibre meal with reduced amounts of fat.
  • Low lactose - Excludes cheese, dairy products and their derivatives and lactose or milk products.
  • Low salt - Excludes use of salt, MSG and baking soda/powder, instead herbs and spices are used to flavour the meal.
  • Muslim Meal - Does not contain pork, by-products of pork or foodstuffs containing alcohol. All meats come from ritually slaughtered animals.
  • Vegan vegetarian - Does not contain meat, fish, fowl, eggs, honey, dairy products or derivatives. If vegan is not specified, then a lacto ovo meal will be provided.

Archive of previous posts: ARCHIVE: Ordering SPML / Special Meal - how, what (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Guide: AA SPML - Special Meal (vegetarian, gluten intolerant, child, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Diabetic Meal ORD-LAX

February 27, AA2611 departing ORD at 1:35pm.

A satisfying meal catered out of Chicago. Tomatoes/asparagus/carrots in the salad had good texture and flavor. Generous-sized shrimp () were a bit watery. Main plate of grits, seasoned chicken breast and carrots. Unlike that sad/dry "side of grilled chicken" that catering adds to enhance a mediocre lunch salad, this chicken breast was moist and full of flavor.

The Flagship Lounge in ORD has the best food of the bunch, and it appears the aircraft catering out of Chicago is following suit.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
So the breakfast enchilada (with one Sriracha pineapple chicken sausage (?)) is disgusting and I want more than fruit on my next breakfast flight. I saw someone get the Kosher meal and I don't want to deal with that (plus a plain omelette isn't my jam) and the Asian veg will likely have chickpeas or lentils which I can't eat. Any thoughts on any of the other meals or should i just suck it up with one of the normal choices?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
So the breakfast enchilada (with one Sriracha pineapple chicken sausage (?)) is disgusting and I want more than fruit on my next breakfast flight. I saw someone get the Kosher meal and I don't want to deal with that (plus a plain omelette isn't my jam) and the Asian veg will likely have chickpeas or lentils which I can't eat. Any thoughts on any of the other meals or should i just suck it up with one of the normal choices?
maybe bring your own food since you seem so picky? The breakfast enchilada I had was actually very good and happy to have this option this weekend LGA-MIA.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981

maybe bring your own food since you seem so picky? The breakfast enchilada I had was actually very good and happy to have this option this weekend LGA-MIA.
Well the lentil/chickpea issue is a deadly allergy, so I'll keep your "advice" in mind, and I've had the enchilada a few times and it isn't great, so otherwise do you have any actual information to add?

Also, it's pretty clear this is a preference and I'll pick one if need be.

Last edited by iadisgreat; Apr 4, 2019 at 7:09 pm
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Well the lentil/chickpea issue is a deadly allergy, so I'll keep your "advice" in mind, and I've had the enchilada a few times and it isn't great, so otherwise do you have any actual information to add?

Also, it's pretty clear this is a preference and I'll pick one if need be.
I've found Special Meal breakfasts to be disappointing, including Diabetic and Kosher. Even the regular breakfast, with the tasteless melon/pineapple combo, reminds you that it's airplane food. I bring a couple of granola bars (so I get protein and fiber), and ask for some milk or tomato juice.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by jcatman
I've found Special Meal breakfasts to be disappointing, including Diabetic and Kosher. Even the regular breakfast, with the tasteless melon/pineapple combo, reminds you that it's airplane food. I bring a couple of granola bars (so I get protein and fiber), and ask for some milk or tomato juice.
Cool thanks for the helpful info - I figured that breakfasts wouldn't be super exciting, but thought I'd check just in case. 👍
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Any recent reports of AVML examples out of LAX (international) or BCN, both in J? I'm not expecting much for BCN, but previous posts seem to indicate a mixed bag out of LAX, perhaps due to the catering issues from a while back. Was hoping LAX would be something along the lines of an Indian meal like with other large airports and not plain vegetables like in some of the previous examples...

Thanks!

Last edited by SpeedRicer; Apr 24, 2019 at 10:35 pm
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Big changes according to JonNYC and others:

Special Meals (SPML): Diabetic (DBML), Asian Vegetarian(AVML), Hindu (HNML), Muslim (MOML), Gluten Free (GFML), Vegan (VGML)

- Above listed main pre-order meals from domestic stations will receive standardized and frozen pre-prepared meals. Meals will have a one year frozen shelf life.

-Salads and appetizers are prepared fresh by the local caterer.

-Steaks that have appeared for DBML meals will mostly switch to a pre-prepared chicken entree.

-Asian Vegetarian (AVML), Hindu (HNML), Muslim (MOML) all receive the same meal. If not the pre-prepared meal, they're made to the same basic menu requirements.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question Possible to order special meal online?

We have booking on AA from LHR to JFK. I wanted to order for my wife a special meal and did not find how to do it online.
I called AA Plat and asked the agent if possible to order special meal online. Her answer: Yes. but I can help you. I let her do it.
Then I asked can we get a confirm by email. Her answer: No, I cannot send a confirm but you will see it in the online reservation in a few minutes. Of course nothing displayed about special meal.
I just found out that on aa.com it says: "Order on aa.com or call Reservations".
So... is it possible to order special meal online? How? Where?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HHonors Gold; IHG Platinum
Log into your AA account > click on Your Trips > click View/Change on your reservation > scroll down to Reserve a Meal. This option is available at least 24 hours before and up to 30 days in advance of your departure.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by thorofare
Log into your AA account > click on Your Trips > click View/Change on your reservation > scroll down to Reserve a Meal. This option is available at least 24 hours before and up to 30 days in advance of your departure.
There is NO "Reserve a Meal". The AA flight LHR=>JFK is on 6/19.
Could it be because the first flight in this booking (to LHR) is on BA ?? i.e. an AA system bug?
It was booked on AA.com.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by IntFF
There is NO "Reserve a Meal". The AA flight LHR=>JFK is on 6/19.
Could it be because the first flight in this booking (to LHR) is on BA ?? i.e. an AA system bug?
It was booked on AA.com.
first select the AA flight and then scroll down to "reserve a meal".
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by laagima
first select the AA flight and then scroll down to "reserve a meal".
There is NO way to select the AA flight from the reservation. I selected the reservation showing the BA flight followed by the AA flight. There is NO "reserve a meal".
Looks AA.com bug when reservation starts/includes a BA flight.

Added: I now looked at another booked trip, a round-trip with 6 flights starting and ending with BA and in middle 4 flights of AA. This trip does have "Reserve a Meal". So the system bug that no "reserve a meal" in my trip with 2 flights BA+AA, becomes .... more mysterious.

Last edited by IntFF; Jun 3, 2019 at 5:09 am
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:16 pm

In-laws are flying JFK-LHR in Y. Should they stick to the normal onboard meal or is there a chance to get a better meal with either kosher, diabetic or Muslim special meals? What would you choose?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by herzmeh
In-laws are flying JFK-LHR in Y. Should they stick to the normal onboard meal or is there a chance to get a better meal with either kosher, diabetic or Muslim special meals? What would you choose?
All/most non-standard meals are lousy food - per testimony of my wife. Recently was an article that such meals could be up to 80 days old, kept in refrigerator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.