Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: AA SPML - Special Meal (vegetarian, gluten intolerant, child, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Special meals and nut allergies and Special meals and dietary requests

AA currently makes a number of “special meals” available on certain flights; they must be requested at least 24 hours in advance. Please see this page on AA.com for current information.

"Special meals are available on select flights with scheduled, complimentary meal service. Similar to scheduled meal service, they are based on departure time, destination and flight length. Menus vary monthly to ensure fresh and seasonal ingredients." See listing of special meals available from AA below.

How to request your special meal:
  • Make sure your flight has scheduled meal service
  • Determine which specialty meal meets your need
  • Call to order
Or
  • This option is available at least 24 hours before and up to 30 days in advance of your departure.
  • Select on Your Trips
  • Select View/Change on your reservation
  • Go down to Reserve a Meal.
  • When you arrive at the airport, advise the gate agent and flight attendants that you ordered a special meal
  • Call Reservations if you booked through American Airlines or contact your travel agent if you booked with an agency.

Contact Reservations (link)

For your interest, airline meal codes for SPML offerings on AA. The list of options may appear extensive but in practice the variety is much reduced due to duplication
  • AVML - Asian Vegetarian Meal
  • BBML - Baby / Infant Food
  • BLML - Bland Meal
  • CHML - Children’s Meal
  • DBML - Diabetic Meal
  • GFML - Gluten-free Meal
  • HNML - Hindu Meal
  • KSML - Kosher (Jewish) Meal
  • LFML – Low Fat Meal
  • LSML – Low Sodium Meal
  • MOML - Muslim (Halal) Meal
  • NLML – Non-Lactose Meal
  • VGML - Vegetarian Meal (non-dairy)
  • VLML – Vegetarian Lacto-ovo Meal
  • VVML – Vegetarian Vegan Meal
Other special meal codes may be viewed at AirlinesMeals.com here.

From British Airways, definitions of these meals:
  • Asian vegetarian - Does not contain fish, shellfish, meat, poultry or eggs. It is a meatless meal and spicy in content.
  • Baby meal - ?
  • Bland - For those with digestive tract and gut disorders. Excludes mustard, pickles, garlic, fried and fatty food.
  • Child meal - Contains a combination of familiar and fun foods.
  • Diabetic - For those who need to manage blood sugar levels. Foods excluded are sugars, syrups, jams, cakes and chocolate, unless specifically for diabetics.
  • Gluten intolerant - Foods excluded are wheat or wheat flour, barley oats and rye, bread, cakes (unless wheat free), pastry, sausages or any flour based products.
  • Hindu - Does not contain beef, beef derivatives, veal or pork, it is not a meatless meal.
  • Kosher Meal - These meals are prepared to comply with Jewish dietary laws.
  • Lacto-ovo vegetarian - Does not contain meat, fish or seafood. May contain dairy products such as milk, butter, cheese and eggs etc.
  • Low fat - High fibre meal with reduced amounts of fat.
  • Low lactose - Excludes cheese, dairy products and their derivatives and lactose or milk products.
  • Low salt - Excludes use of salt, MSG and baking soda/powder, instead herbs and spices are used to flavour the meal.
  • Muslim Meal - Does not contain pork, by-products of pork or foodstuffs containing alcohol. All meats come from ritually slaughtered animals.
  • Vegan vegetarian - Does not contain meat, fish, fowl, eggs, honey, dairy products or derivatives. If vegan is not specified, then a lacto ovo meal will be provided.

Archive of previous posts: ARCHIVE: Ordering SPML / Special Meal - how, what (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Guide: AA SPML - Special Meal (vegetarian, gluten intolerant, child, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
One does not fly to eat

Whether in J or Y, nothing says you can't bring your own. And terminal D in DFW has some excellent choices.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by danielonn
AA should do curries or a nice cous cous with garbanzo beans carrots tomatoes served with falafel hummus baba ganoush and pita bread. A orzo or tabouli salad.

Lifeways Kefir and for dessert an apple cake.

For breakfast apple crepes. Fruit Greek yoghurt granola strawberris blueberries .

Snack could be a cheese and sundried tomato baked ziti pasta with dolmades grape leaf salad and a vegan brownie.

Thoughts?
Not sure how this is relevant to your upcoming flight.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
AA should do curries or a nice cous cous with garbanzo beans carrots tomatoes served with falafel hummus baba ganoush and pita bread. A orzo or tabouli salad.

For breakfast apple crepes. Fruit Greek yoghurt granola strawberris blueberries .

Snack could be a cheese and sundried tomato baked ziti pasta with dolmades grape leaf salad and a vegan brownie.

Thoughts?
Id like a pony too.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thoughts?
Fly AA partner QR (Qatar). I was amazed at the food; the first time I've tasted airline food which tasted better than most of the restaurant food I had on the trip. (I was in business class on an AA award to South Africa; I don't know how their economy class food compares.)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: AA, BA, B6, DL, D8, EI
Sorry if this has been covered: do you really have to call to request a special meal? I don't see the option to request in advance online.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by sadeconomy
Sorry if this has been covered: do you really have to call to request a special meal? I don't see the option to request in advance online.
It has been covered, 11 posts before yours.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AA, BA, B6, DL, D8, EI
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
It has been covered, 11 posts before yours.
Things can change in seven months but thank you for the very helpful answer.

Others: DM on Twitter with AA was able to take care of this without needing to call.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, AA Exec Plt
Special Meals

Hi,
I have placed a request in my booking for a special meal.
In managing my booking online, the option to reserve a meal comes up. In the options I get the meal (Roasted Duck Breast etc) and under that the "special meal" options appear. Am I right in assuming that these are the meals for everyone and not necessarily okay to eat with food intolerance? I am leaning towards just leaving it blank and my original request as is.

Also, does being on waitlist for SWU and having a special meal affect the chances of this going through?

Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bundaburg
Hi,
In managing my booking online, the option to reserve a meal comes up. In the options I get the meal (Roasted Duck Breast etc) and under that the "special meal" options appear. Am I right in assuming that these are the meals for everyone and not necessarily okay to eat with food intolerance? I am leaning towards just leaving it blank and my original request as is.

Also, does being on waitlist for SWU and having a special meal affect the chances of this going through?

Thanks!
There's a way to request special meals at booking? Is it a thing where you choose among the handful of available types of special meals, or a write-in field? (If a write-in field, I'd worry that they won't read it until it's too late, and won't get you the right type of meal. I've always called AA on the phone to request a special meal.)

AA doesn't have special meals for every food intolerance. (My niece is allergic to citrus, and there's no "guaranteed-citrus-free" special meal.) They just have a handful of "catch-call" special meals. That's why a conversation with an AA agent may be necessary to figure out which kind of special meal would work best for you.

As to the SWU, I don't know whether it affects your upgrade chances. If you do get upgraded at the last minute, you might get asked by the FA whether you want to your special meal from the original cabin or a regular meal from your new cabin.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hi,

Thanks!
Bundy, 😉

Twitter might be your best way to request a SPML (read the Wikipost at the top of the page). If you’re upgraded, they will generally still cater your special meal; it may be useful to alert an FA you have a SPML and were upgraded, in that case.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Anyone know what the Asian Veg meal is on domestic, first flights? I am flying SFO-CLT, and sometimes you just get cereal (hardly fitting the spicy Asian Veg description). Any experiences?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I had the Hindu Meal on a recent JFK-LHR flight. It was Indian food with rice and some veg curry and lentils(not the best, but surprised to see it on AA).
Morning breakfast was also a bit different than the regular box - fresh fruits (much better than flat top muffin) and a granola bar.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Anyone know what the Asian Veg meal is on domestic, first flights? I am flying SFO-CLT, and sometimes you just get cereal (hardly fitting the spicy Asian Veg description). Any experiences?
You need to understand that AA does not actually have separate meals, for every route, of all the types of meals they claim to have. Many are "consolidated", ie, they find some meal that is simultaneously, Asian-enough, vegan (and thus vegetarian), gluten-free (thus other grains than wheat), low salt, etc, etc. And then whichever one of those your order, you get the same one (though the "consolidated" meal itself may change from day to day and meal period to meal period).

So don't rely on descriptions too much. The special meals are more about what's not included, than about what is included.

A true "Asian" Veg meal might only exist on routes to / from Asia. On other routes, they are more likely to substitute as "consolidated" meal. And they're especially likely to substitute an "consolidated" meal at breakfast, since they don't have enough imagination to think up different meals for breakfast.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Hi,
Thanks!
It does not.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:01 pm

Hello. Not sure where best to ask this question:
I have two domestic flights coming up.
In one, a choice is the rotolo
In the other flight is pomodoro lasagna

Does anyone know if either of these items contain meat products? I know they contain a bunch of cheese
I cannot understand if the items are Vegetarian or not.
Any help appreciated.

The other choices on those flights definitely contain meat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.