Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: AA SPML - Special Meal (vegetarian, gluten intolerant, child, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Special meals and nut allergies and Special meals and dietary requests

AA currently makes a number of “special meals” available on certain flights; they must be requested at least 24 hours in advance. Please see this page on AA.com for current information.

"Special meals are available on select flights with scheduled, complimentary meal service. Similar to scheduled meal service, they are based on departure time, destination and flight length. Menus vary monthly to ensure fresh and seasonal ingredients." See listing of special meals available from AA below.

How to request your special meal:
  • Make sure your flight has scheduled meal service
  • Determine which specialty meal meets your need
  • Call to order
Or
  • This option is available at least 24 hours before and up to 30 days in advance of your departure.
  • Select on Your Trips
  • Select View/Change on your reservation
  • Go down to Reserve a Meal.
  • When you arrive at the airport, advise the gate agent and flight attendants that you ordered a special meal
  • Call Reservations if you booked through American Airlines or contact your travel agent if you booked with an agency.

Contact Reservations (link)

For your interest, airline meal codes for SPML offerings on AA. The list of options may appear extensive but in practice the variety is much reduced due to duplication
  • AVML - Asian Vegetarian Meal
  • BBML - Baby / Infant Food
  • BLML - Bland Meal
  • CHML - Children’s Meal
  • DBML - Diabetic Meal
  • GFML - Gluten-free Meal
  • HNML - Hindu Meal
  • KSML - Kosher (Jewish) Meal
  • LFML – Low Fat Meal
  • LSML – Low Sodium Meal
  • MOML - Muslim (Halal) Meal
  • NLML – Non-Lactose Meal
  • VGML - Vegetarian Meal (non-dairy)
  • VLML – Vegetarian Lacto-ovo Meal
  • VVML – Vegetarian Vegan Meal
Other special meal codes may be viewed at AirlinesMeals.com here.

From British Airways, definitions of these meals:
  • Asian vegetarian - Does not contain fish, shellfish, meat, poultry or eggs. It is a meatless meal and spicy in content.
  • Baby meal - ?
  • Bland - For those with digestive tract and gut disorders. Excludes mustard, pickles, garlic, fried and fatty food.
  • Child meal - Contains a combination of familiar and fun foods.
  • Diabetic - For those who need to manage blood sugar levels. Foods excluded are sugars, syrups, jams, cakes and chocolate, unless specifically for diabetics.
  • Gluten intolerant - Foods excluded are wheat or wheat flour, barley oats and rye, bread, cakes (unless wheat free), pastry, sausages or any flour based products.
  • Hindu - Does not contain beef, beef derivatives, veal or pork, it is not a meatless meal.
  • Kosher Meal - These meals are prepared to comply with Jewish dietary laws.
  • Lacto-ovo vegetarian - Does not contain meat, fish or seafood. May contain dairy products such as milk, butter, cheese and eggs etc.
  • Low fat - High fibre meal with reduced amounts of fat.
  • Low lactose - Excludes cheese, dairy products and their derivatives and lactose or milk products.
  • Low salt - Excludes use of salt, MSG and baking soda/powder, instead herbs and spices are used to flavour the meal.
  • Muslim Meal - Does not contain pork, by-products of pork or foodstuffs containing alcohol. All meats come from ritually slaughtered animals.
  • Vegan vegetarian - Does not contain meat, fish, fowl, eggs, honey, dairy products or derivatives. If vegan is not specified, then a lacto ovo meal will be provided.

Archive of previous posts: ARCHIVE: Ordering SPML / Special Meal - how, what (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Guide: AA SPML - Special Meal (vegetarian, gluten intolerant, child, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro (2MM)
Originally Posted by Segments
How was the DBML offering?
It was ok. The meal I was offered for LAX-ORD was oatmeal with coconut (provided in a sealed container), a chocolate bar of some kind and if I recall, fruit. I give AA credit for offering the special meals however I would recommend that they update their descriptions to remove the "suitable for low carb diets" since this was far from being low carb friendly. I'm not a big oatmeal fan TBH but there was plenty of food and it was, I would think, ok overall for a diabetic.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Fly'nAAgain
It was ok. The meal I was offered for LAX-ORD was oatmeal with coconut (provided in a sealed container), a chocolate bar of some kind and if I recall, fruit. I give AA credit for offering the special meals however I would recommend that they update their descriptions to remove the "suitable for low carb diets" since this was far from being low carb friendly. I'm not a big oatmeal fan TBH but there was plenty of food and it was, I would think, ok overall for a diabetic.
Thanks. Yes, oatmeal is typically suitable to a diabetic meal plan but not what someone would want for a Keto diet. The descriptor “low carb” can have many interpretations.
Fly'nAAgain likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:13 pm

Any experiences recently with either the Diabetic or Hindu meal for lunch/dinner out of PHL (domestic)? I will be flying SJU-PHL-SFO soon and I don't want the same beef short ribs twice in a row from the regular menu

Last edited by cpmed43; Feb 29, 2020 at 12:16 am
Old Jun 4, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Flying transcon F LAX to JFK on an afternoon flight later this month. If I order a Hindu meal, what will I get?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Flying transcon F LAX to JFK on an afternoon flight later this month. If I order a Hindu meal, what will I get?
The AA special meals page says "Special meals are limited to long-haul international flights with Flagship® service." I assume you won't get your veg meal.
aj411 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 5:43 pm

What compensation should be expected for missing special meals on a long-haul business class revenue ticket?
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by daniellovesflying
What compensation should be expected for missing special meals on a long-haul business class revenue ticket?
Update: they offered 4000 miles. Doesn't seem enough to me.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 5:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum
ORD-LHR
AA86
Business Class
Gluten-free meal

Starter was a salad and a plate of fruit. Also served was a package of gluten free and vegan cookies. Dinner was a tasty chicken (it looked dry but was not), served with carrots, a mysterious purée, and some dry mashed potatoes w/ corn made better with butter.

onanisland likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Would love to see an image of AA's international diabetic meals if anyone has one!
Can anyone comment on what the diabetic meals are these days in long-haul business class?
Old Jan 6, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
AA Special Meals

I always used to order the AA Hindu meal and it was really good. Last time I tried it, just before Covid, it was awful. Around that time I read that AA changed from preparing special order meals freshly to a system where the Asian/Muslim/Hindi meal was all the same thing just given different labels, and frozen in advance with a shelf of up to one year.

So, curious to see if anyone has tried a special meal recently, and how they rated it.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 5:02 pm

As a point of reference, I pre-ordered AVML on the flagship JFK-LAX last week and it was the same meal I remember before COVID. Very happy with it. Was always good out of JFK and still held true for me this time.

Apps/sides were plated first

Main was given after apps/sides were cleared
Bago'peanuts and wylek like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I finally found the "correct" thread so apologies if this counts as double-posting as I already asked the question on the int'l meals thread...

I have an upcoming JFK-LHR flight (morning departure from JFK) in PE and trying to figure out what the "bland" (BLML) or "children's meals" (CHML) options might be. Does anyone have any recent experience?

Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I made the mistake of ordering the AVML on a domestic flight.

First, it was not remotely Asian. It was plain white rice and vegetables, that's it. No sauce, no spices. The part about it being "spicy in content" is apparently a joke.

Second, the vegetables were disgusting. I have no idea how they manage to make vegetables taste so bad. I just ate the white rice and left the veggies.

I suggest ordering something else, or just not eating. It really was that bad.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jul 15, 2022 at 5:30 pm
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I recently flew on the daytime JFK-LHR flight and also on LHR-BOS, in premium economy both ways. I ordered a children's meal for my youngest on both flights. I apologize for not remembering to capture the details of the second meal, but the primary meals were:

10am JFK-LHR departure: pancakes with some sort of sausage, cheese and crackers, bread, salad and tiramisu for dessert. The pancakes were a bit like cardboard. My kid refused to eat anything after taking one bite of the pancakes.

The 10am LHR-BOS flight had chicken nuggets, smiley face potatoes, fruit, ham and cheese, a salad and a large Kit Kat for dessert. My kid ate the chicken nuggets.

LHR-BOS

JFK-LHR daytime flight
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
I recently flew on the daytime JFK-LHR flight and also on LHR-BOS, in premium economy both ways. I ordered a children's meal for my youngest on both flights. I apologize for not remembering to capture the details of the second meal, but the primary meals were:

10am JFK-LHR departure: pancakes with some sort of sausage, cheese and crackers, bread, salad and tiramisu for dessert. The pancakes were a bit like cardboard. My kid refused to eat anything after taking one bite of the pancakes.

The 10am LHR-BOS flight had chicken nuggets, smiley face potatoes, fruit, ham and cheese, a salad and a large Kit Kat for dessert. My kid ate the chicken nuggets.

LHR-BOS
The chicken nugget meal looks good, except do they really think kids who order a children's meal would want a colorful salad like that??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.