Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Badly Treated at SFO. Normal? How to Mitigate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Badly Treated at SFO. Normal? How to Mitigate?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:42 pm

I can't speak to the skill of the ticket agents in SFO because I've never had to interact with them. Since TSA there is way above average in terms of politeness and efficiency I'd say I generally have a good pre-departure experience. The SFO GAs, though, sometimes like to give guff to standbys. e.g. "You bought the later flight because it was cheaper and now you want us to give you a seat on this flight" (a direct quote. they gave me the seat though).
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by hartlogan
The suggestion to call the EXP was in reference to confirming that his EXP status was showing up properly in his reservations, as the lack of assumed benefits suggested it might be a problem with his status showing up correctly. It wasn't suggested that the EXP desk should handle his complaint about the personnel issue.
Perhaps I read too much into the comments:

Originally Posted by inpd
Has anyone tried tweeting or calling the Ex Plat desk if the check in agents are being idiots?
Originally Posted by rknicker
call the Ex Plat desk and make sure they are aware
Also, it's a given that if your call is routed to the EXP Desk, your status is showing correctly in their systems. However, the systems at the airport are not always in sync with other parts of the greater system.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:12 am

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
I had a similar experience at SFO but with UA, right after the merger between UA and CO. I was standing in line for 1K check-in when the agent called be over to the Global Services (GS) desk.

As I have often done before I was combining two segments SFO-FRA, FRA-AGP. I saved as much as $500 by booking separate tickets.

The agent could not figure out how to get the system to check the bags all the way through to AGP. He insisted that I check them to FRA, pick them up and recheck to AGP. I refused. I informed him that just doing this could be an hour or more in FRA. And I could miss my connecting flight.

He lectured me on why I didn't do it the other way. Informed me the CO had not had 1K and he didn't understand luggage allowance, etc. It was clear he considered all this my doing.

After my repeated requests, he finally asked a UA agent to help him. Took her about 30 seconds. This is after spending more than 30 minutes with him.

Yes, I did file a complaint. It's unfortunate that often after mergers the person working elite desks are not adequately trained to handle the variables.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...3. Loud discussion how the four of us are taking 7 checked bags between us. Tried to get me to pay for 3 bags. As flying TPAC we are allowed 2 each.
Did your checked baggage comply? You had asked about this before.
Were all of you on 1 PNR/tickets or seperate PNR/tickets?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post25793774
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:11 am

Doesn't surprise me. San Francisco has in the past few years become the rudest city in the US.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by standingoten
Doesn't surprise me. San Francisco has in the past few years become the rudest city in the US.
Bollocks. Come to NYC and we will out-rude anyone. We just do it to your face.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
As a counter-point, I had a rather different experience as a "new" AA flyer. I say new, because I hadn't taken a domestic AA flight in well over a decade. I have OWE status though. I booked DCA-BOS and as I arrived at the airport I saw my flight had been cancelled. I made my way to customer service, but they were rather clueless and gave me a variety of poor answers as to my rebooking on a later flight.

So I went up to the Admirals Club and there were a trio of excellent and experienced ladies working there. One took my info and said that as an OWE I should be automatically placed on the next flight. But since there were a lot of AA flights that were cancelled or delayed that day (no clue why as the weather was beautiful all up and down the eastern seaboard), she could not find me a seat. But as we were chatting she kept poking at her screen and after a few minutes bang! She not only found a seat, it was in first class!

The great service in the Admirals Club is what will lead me to book more AA domestic flights in 2016.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
SFO based flyer and never have any problem with agents there. ^
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:30 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by standingoten
Fortunately, the airport is not in San Francisco. It is in San Mateo County.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by karung99
SFO based flyer and never have any problem with agents there. ^
+1. No issues for me either.

Cheers.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by stimpy
As a counter-point, I had a rather different experience as a "new" AA flyer. I say new, because I hadn't taken a domestic AA flight in well over a decade. I have OWE status though. I booked DCA-BOS and as I arrived at the airport I saw my flight had been cancelled. I made my way to customer service, but they were rather clueless and gave me a variety of poor answers as to my rebooking on a later flight.

So I went up to the Admirals Club and there were a trio of excellent and experienced ladies working there. One took my info and said that as an OWE I should be automatically placed on the next flight. But since there were a lot of AA flights that were cancelled or delayed that day (no clue why as the weather was beautiful all up and down the eastern seaboard), she could not find me a seat. But as we were chatting she kept poking at her screen and after a few minutes bang! She not only found a seat, it was in first class!

The great service in the Admirals Club is what will lead me to book more AA domestic flights in 2016.
Again, the agents at the SFO AC are top notch - maybe some of the best system-wide, I'd say. They've been there for quite awhile...

However, the check-in staff plain suck. You probably don't have to deal with them unless you have to check in a bag, manually and deal with an agent. Maybe it's the hours I'm trying to check-in at (evening), but as I indicated in an earlier post, and as others have reported:

1) they don't seem to know/care about elite status
2) they can't manage the elite queue properly, and sometimes the main cabin line moves faster than the priority queue (also a problem at LAX, but at least they have competent agents)
3) the agents will try to charge you bag fees
4) the agents cannot read a TIMATIC page and don't know their geography
5) the supervisors are equally clueless (and more dangerous, as they have power)
6) according to OP, they will try to downgrade your W op-up to Y. (I believe this happens based on my experience with them!)
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by no2chem
Again, the agents at the SFO AC are top notch - maybe some of the best system-wide, I'd say. They've been there for quite awhile...

However, the check-in staff plain suck. You probably don't have to deal with them unless you have to check in a bag, manually and deal with an agent. Maybe it's the hours I'm trying to check-in at (evening), but as I indicated in an earlier post, and as others have reported:

1) they don't seem to know/care about elite status
2) they can't manage the elite queue properly, and sometimes the main cabin line moves faster than the priority queue (also a problem at LAX, but at least they have competent agents)
3) the agents will try to charge you bag fees
4) the agents cannot read a TIMATIC page and don't know their geography
5) the supervisors are equally clueless (and more dangerous, as they have power)
6) according to OP, they will try to downgrade your W op-up to Y. (I believe this happens based on my experience with them!)
Yes, this.

Whilst I've run across some knowledgeable and efficient ticket agents at SFO, more have been uninformed and uncaring - seemingly, taking a page from Dilbert and being the "preventer of customer service". And I'm talking about flying SFO since the 1950s, nothing new here.

Checking bags, I will always opt for the streetside "sky cap" counter, where they're friendly, welcoming, very knowledgeable- and happy to get a nice tip for doing an excellent job. This allows me to bypass the "SFO TA lottery" and get to the friendly and welcoming Club.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Hi,

So I'm new to AA but had the worst possible experience checking in recently. I don't want to complain and get miles. I want to avoid these situations so wish to know if this is normal and how to mitigate them.

1. Despite being a Ex Plat the check in gate police made me stand in the regular line. No explanation given but very forceful despite me showing them my Ex Plat card.
2. Check in agent wondered why I have been comped an upgraded to Premium Economy on TPAC flight *operated* by QF and consulted her supervisor on how to bump me back to regular Y.
3. Loud discussion how the four of us are taking 7 checked bags between us. Tried to get me to pay for 3 bags. As flying TPAC we are allowed 2 each.
4. Lots of other smaller issues like .....ing I left my old priority tags on etc.

1. and 3. are a flagrant disregard to rules.
2. Is none of their business if another carrier wants to upgrade me.
4. Is just bad customer service. Should of just kept it to themselves.

Any suggestions on how to mitigate this and if its normal.
I'm a little confused on #1. So, you walked into the terminal, walked over to the AA checkin desk, got in the EXP line, and were told to move to the regular line? Even though you showed them your EXP card? With no reason given? Wow.

Also, you say you're new to AA, but EXP? How did that work? Status match of some sort?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by cestmoi123

Also, you say you're new to AA, but EXP? How did that work? Status match of some sort?
US CP would be one way.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
wow... definitely NOT normal. I would complain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.