Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

To upgrade or not to upgrade - transpacific flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Here's a dilemma.

I'm flying to HKG with my girlfriend (who's never flown anything but coach, let alone on a LONG overseas flight) next week for vacation.

MCI-DFW-PEK-HKG
HKG-DFW-MCI-DFW-PEK-HKG

I'm Platinum on AA and currently have 68,428 miles in my account. With a trip this week for work, I should end up at 71,586 by departure. After arriving in Hong Kong, I'll have 88,916 miles with those miles added to my account.

On the DFW-PEK flight (AA263 on 12/5), I have MCE seats 10A and 10C. Currently nobody is in 10B. There are 7 biz class seats open right now (787 2-cabin).

On the HKG-DFW flight (AA138 sn 12/13), I have 17A and 17L (MCE), across the plane from each other. Currently there is nobody in 17B or 17K. There are 15 biz class seats open right now (777 3-cabin, first is currently full). My girlfriend would prefer an aisle, but none were available at the time. I'd sit by her, but I think we're ok both having windows as preferred to sitting side-by-side with me in a middle seat...hopefully with empty seats next to us.

So...here's the questions.

* Do we want to sleep on the way over where jetlag is a bit more of an issue for a successful vacation? Plus, what is the risk of the middle seat getting filled (e.g., a late-coach purchasing Gold who got an MC middle seat moving up to at least get some legroom 24 hours before the departure)?
* Do we want to sleep a little on the way back and have comfy seats? What's the risk of either of those middle seats getting filled?
* Should I stay on the waitlist for an upgrade on the way over or move it to the way back?
* Should I buy the 11,084 miles (<$300) if we get upgraded on the way over to get on the list to upgrade on the way back as well?

So many variables. So many options. Would love opinions!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
the short answer is that business class is always better than coach (much better!)

so if you have the miles/money then I would upgrade if possible
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I would definitely call right now to request upgrades on the return as well. Rather than worrying about which way you'd rather upgrade, just be thankful if one happens to clear, because they both look very iffy right now.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:44 pm
E55

Traveling west is generally easier on the body clock than traveling east.

Traveling west tends to end up feeling like an extra long day, but not completely backwards (as traveling east can seem if you go far enough).

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 19, 2016 at 6:34 am Reason: Removed manual signature
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:25 pm

Depends on the g/f. Is she hot enough to be worth it?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold
I would not expect a seat to be open in MCE. If it happens, it will be your lucky day. I recently flew DFW-HKG. Had an MCE seat booked from the get go but wanted a better seat. About a week before departure 80% of MCE seats were filled with open seats being all middle. 25 hours before departure MCE is only 20% filled as upgrades start to clear. I was able to get my preferred seats for me and Husband (19E and 19H). Two hours later I checked again and there was only one empty seat in MCE (18B), everything was full. I have been told that is typical for the TPAC flights with MCE. There are tons of elites in the non-MCE section who booked close in and are eyeballing seats in MCE. They know to check about 24 hours prior.

If this is vacation, take a shot at Business. It's a no risk attempt and if it does clear you will be excited. Get on the list now though as the HKG-DFW list fills up and they won't take anyone further. I know from experience :-(.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I would request upgrades for both ways. You have nothing to lose. No copays are charged and no miles deducted unless you clear. Sleep is important both ways - to start your vacation rested (and not lose vacation time by recovering from the flight) and also to return home rested to go back to work quickly. You are traveling almost halfway around the world, might as well make getting there half the fun.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Just did DFW-HKG and HKG-DFW.

1) your body clock is going to be off by approximately 10 hours (or 14, depending on how you want to look at it). Sleeping or not sleeping will not help you adjust more than one to two hours per day, which is about all your brain can do. Do whatever you feel is comfortable at the time. IMO, people who force themselves to stay awake are just asking for a painful experience.

2) A lot of people are able to sleep in MCE, so if sleep is the issue you might be able to do it in MCE. Of course, it will probably be easier to do it in J.

3) I booked close in and got on the upgrade list for both legs and did not clear. I was not even able to book an MCE seat until around 24 hrs prior to departure on the first leg and at about 48 hours on the return. The seat map looked half-empty in J both times but there were a LOT of people on the waitlist. I would not expect anything to clear if I were you at this point but there is no harm in putting yourself on the list and the experience will be so much nicer if you clear.

4) I would not expect any empty seats in MCE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.