Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Platinum member charged $25 to select seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

I redeemed Citi Thank You points through Citi's Connexions travel agency for an AA flight. I gave my AA # when making the reservation. I later logged into my AA account to select my seats and any preferred or MCE seating was showing a $ charge. I called up AA to inquire as I thought I should be able to select these seats without a fee. I was told I could select them but there would be a $25 telephone charge to do so. I reluctantly paid this but am wondering if this was correct information on the agents part. I have booked AA flights through third party before and have not run across this issue. Is this a new policy?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Redeemed
I redeemed Citi Thank You points through Citi's Connexions travel agency for an AA flight. I gave my AA # when making the reservation. I later logged into my AA account to select my seats and any preferred or MCE seating was showing a $ charge. I called up AA to inquire as I thought I should be able to select these seats without a fee. I was told I could select them but there would be a $25 telephone charge to do so. I reluctantly paid this but am wondering if this was correct information on the agents part. I have booked AA flights through third party before and have not run across this issue. Is this a new policy?
Did you check that your AA number had made it into the PNR?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Yes my AA number was on the PNR and I logged into my AA account to see the reservation under "My Trips".
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Yes my AA number was on the PNR and I logged into my AA account to see the reservation under "My Trips".
If you were unable to select a seat after being logged in, then I either would have contacted the travel agency that booked the ticket, or AA Web Services.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Here is info on the fee: https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/aaco...es_charges.jsp

Look for "Assistance by Reservations".

It looks like they no longer waive it for EXPs either.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Does the name on the eticket match spelling, spacing, punctuations and name order of whatever is showing up currently on your AA.com account after you have logged into your AAdvantage account on AA.com.

I've been seeing cases of people with merged AA+US accounts where the AA number sticks to the bookings but the elite benefits don't come over due to some kind of mismatch between the ticket info and the updated AAdvantage account info.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Under "Assistance by Reservations" it states:

"Applies for voluntary itinerary changes to reservations not initially created by Reservations or on aa.com"

So this does not seem to fit in that category. I called the Platinum desk again and another agent told me I should have been able to select my seat online and if not I should have been transferred to "Web Support" to deal with the issue. She seemed to think the fee should have been waived. She checked with a supervisor and was unable to do anything about the fee charged as it was "assessed by Reservations". She advised me to contact Reservations directly and ask for a supervisor. I am wondering how it was "assessed by Reservations" in the first place as I initially had called into the Platinum desk.

I haven't yet tried to call them as I am a little tired of the phone game at this point. I am considering tweeting to see if I get a better result.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

"Applies for voluntary itinerary changes to reservations not initially created by Reservations or on aa.com"

So this does not seem to fit in that category. I called the Platinum desk again and another agent told me I should have been able to select my seat online and if not I should have been transferred to "Web Support" to deal with the issue. She seemed to think the fee should have been waived. She checked with a supervisor and was unable to do anything about the fee charged as it was "assessed by Reservations". She advised me to contact Reservations directly and ask for a supervisor. I am wondering how it was "assessed by Reservations" in the first place as I initially had called into the Platinum desk.

I haven't yet tried to call them as I am a little tired of the phone game at this point. I am considering tweeting to see if I get a better result.
Platinum and Gold "desks", in spite of AA propaganda (truth in advertising issue) are merely prioritized lines into the same folks that service no status people. That's how it got "assessed by Reservations".
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

The "Platinum desk" is but a myth, as the calls to the "Platinum desk" number are but calls that supposedly get priority of some sort in how they are handled.

Web support should be able to help. If not, then previously I would have suggested contacting AAdvantage Customer Service or AA Customer Relations; but not so much, any more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.