Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award flight offering 23:50 stopover in DFW... stopover-worthy on the way home?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:56 am
Original Poster

I'm looking at AAdvantage award flights from LIM to YYZ, and I found a flight from LIM to DFW, followed by a gap, then DFW to YYZ.

I'm sure DWF's "stopover worthiness" is debatable.

However, I'm wondering if this is a good idea, especially considering this will be on the way back home.

Has anyone else taken advantage of this? And was it worth it, or do you wish you got home sooner?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I would first look for flights through MIA, JFK and LAX (especially on LAN's 787 through LAX). If a stopover in DFW is the only way to get an award ticket that works, then I'd do it. I would look at it as an extra day of vacation.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
What intent or purpose of yours would the 23:50 layover period serve? Unless you've someone to see or something to do, or there's a reason this would facilitate booking more desirable flights, it's a pretty useless gesture.

(If you're looking for things to do in the Dallas-Ft. Worth /metroplex area, please check the Texas Forum rather than here.)
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:27 pm

I wouldn't. I went to DFW on a MR/have lunch with a friend/head back home in the evening. I saw the JFK assassination site, which was full of bums who wanted a handout for pointing out the spot, the grassy knoll, and the library. That took about 15 mins. Then I was bored until it was time for lunch with my friend, and I went back to DFW to standby for an earlier flight. Dallas may be a nice place to live, but it's sure a boring place to visit!
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
If you haven't been to Dallas, it might be worth it, but as lobo says, I found it to be a pretty boring city. A day might be OK to drive around and see things like Texas Stadium, and some of the areas around town. In fact, 23 hours might be about right for a quick visit just to look around.

One thing to spend an hour doing downtown is to go to the Reuinon Tower and have a drink as the restaurant rotates 360 degrees.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
As said above, just get a direct flight or find an earlier flight. Dallas is an excellent place to live, but I don't understand the people that come here for tourism reasons. I mean our sporting scene (minus the Cowboys right now ), shopping, and food/bar scene are great, but other than that there's not many "tourist activities" to do/see. It's what I would call a professional city, like Houston.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DFW = Dallas Fort Worth where the latter has art museums, etc.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:42 pm

Stay at the Joule and take advantage of their house car to check out downtown and Uptown. I would eat BBQ at Lockhart Smokehouse in Bishop Arts, grab a drink at the Reuinion Tower, and hen get dinner at Canne Rosso (Pizza) or Nick & Sam's (Steak).
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
YMMV, but to me one of the great thrills of award travel is a routing that offers a long connection that then becomes a quasi free stopover. Depending on the day and time of arrival, there is enough to do even if not straying too far from the airport. Two favorites are:
1. The Smith Museum on the AA Administrative Campus which covers the history of AA . Also nearby is the AA 9/11 memorial.
2. ATT Stadium tour.

Yes, not spectacular, but an interesting enough way to fill a few hours and allow time for a rest at one of the airport hotels that are adjacent to the stadium. If feeling adventurous an amusement park adjacent to the Stadium
claims some good roller coaster type rides, but this may very much depend on time of year and weather. As recommended above, the destination thread has much more detail on these and other possibilities,

Enjoy it.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Last edited by clipclop; Apr 27, 2016 at 4:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.