Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Anyone know the secret to getting JAL boarding pass?

Old Nov 20, 15, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

I'm at LAX. When I checked in at the counter, I was told I'd have to get my connecting boarding pass at NRT. I asked for and got my JAL record locater at that time. Tried flagship lounge counter and they said the same thing. Went back out and asked Angel helping the Japanese speakers and same answer. Called the EXP line same answer. No One seems to know what's up. Would very much like to have that boarding pass since on my last trip we were delayed out of LAX. Everyone with a boarding pass was able to run to the gate and make the flight. Three of us did not. Any advice?
Old Nov 20, 15, 11:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Maybe, if you explain your plans a little bit more clearly , we could better assist. Because right now all I can say is if you're flying out of LAX, someone will issue you a boarding pass for your pending flight. For other flights you may be connecting to, I'm .

E.g. What's your connecting flight, and how much connecting time do you have? How much time do you have remaining at LAX and are you airside, and can get landside? (I'd not do that, but the JL counter is in TBIT iirc.)

Other than that, I'd trust what the counter and Flagship Lounge and EP lines in that they apparently are incapable of enabling your future boarding pass(es) for your flight out of. NRT. If JL is the ope rating carrier, they will have to reaccommodate you if you miss your flight, regardless - and JL is pretty good about reaccommodating distressed travelers.

Good luck with your travels!

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 20, 15 at 11:22 am
Old Nov 20, 15, 11:19 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
I've usually been able to check-in online with JAL and print-out the onward travel boarding pass before leaving the US.

Are you unable to access the JAL website? If you have time and are early, is the JAL counter at LAX open? Could you run over to TBIT and check in there to have them print it for you?
Old Nov 20, 15, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it seems pretty straightforward to me, OP is flying LAX-NRT-XXX with the first leg on AA and the second on JL, and is having a hard time getting the NRT-XXX boarding pass issued at LAX.

I certainly can understand that frustration; who wants to hunt around for an available agent at NRT to get a BP if the inbound is delayed and the connection becomes tight?

My one experience with this problem was MIA-YYZ-HKG and the counter check-in agent couldn't issue YYZ-HKG. Fortunately the Admiral's Club agent was able to, because <snip...AA sucks...snip> the connection ended up being super-tight because of a delay.

More recently, doing JFK-LHR-TXL r/t on AA/AA codeshare on BA, I could only do OLCI for the first leg, but had no problem getting the BP for the second leg at the airport.
Old Nov 20, 15, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Angels tried the JAL web site (both English & Japanese) with no luck. And yes, I am flying LAX-NRT with an onward connection on JAL to CGK. My wife arrived earlier at LAX and was checked though to CGK.
Old Nov 20, 15, 11:29 am
Original Poster

And forgot to say that I do have a seat assignment on AA 8499 operated by JAL.
Old Nov 20, 15, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try at the gate that JL is using in LAX once JL has their staff there.

This year I was flying:
PHL->ORD (US)
ORD ->NRT (JL)
NRT->FUK (JL) with NRT->FUK on a separate ticket. PHL, ORD check-in and ORD FL couldn't check me in or issue the NRT->FUK boarding pass. JL's website was unable to check me in for NRT-FUK.

The JL staff at the gate they were using in ORD for the ORD-NRT could.
Old Nov 20, 15, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wr_schwab View Post
Try at the gate that JL is using in LAX once JL has their staff there.
I assume OP is in T4 (hence he tried the Flagship Lounge), and the JL staff is in TBIT. Someone mentioned running over there, might be worth it if, say, OP has PreCheck and reason to believe the JL counters will be open at TBIT.
Old Nov 20, 15, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Didn't have time to get toTBIT. At the gate about to board 169. Agents here tried checking me out then back in twice. No luck. Hoping for on time arrival. Thanks again.
Old Nov 20, 15, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Well that didn't work. Maintenance. They're sending us back to the club.
Old Nov 20, 15, 12:41 pm

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 16 at 10:38 pm
Old Nov 20, 15, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by wr_schwab View Post
ORD check-in and ORD FL couldn't check me in or issue the NRT->FUK boarding pass.
I forget if the FL has an agent there for JL9, but there is a separate desk open in the regular AC for JL flights that might be helpful in the future.
Old Nov 20, 15, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Just to close the loop: everyone will miss the connection to CGK due to maintenance delay. Wife and daughter are blaming me -- "You jinxed us!" Will probably spend the night at the Novotel? Playing with the draft beer machine. Thanks again to you all for your help.
Old Nov 20, 15, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by ferriswren View Post
Just to close the loop: everyone will miss the connection to CGK due to maintenance delay. Wife and daughter are blaming me -- "You jinxed us!" Will probably spend the night at the Novotel? Playing with the draft beer machine. Thanks again to you all for your help.
Bummer about the delay, but now you'll definitely have enough time to get your boarding pass!
Old Nov 20, 15, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Yes, plenty of time for boarding pass. 169 now delayed to 2am departure from 11:15a. Looks like dinner in Los Angeles.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: