Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Anyone know the secret to getting JAL boarding pass?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone know the secret to getting JAL boarding pass?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ferriswren
And forgot to say that I do have a seat assignment on AA 8499 operated by JAL.
Ah! It's a codeshare. That adds a layer of complexity for some things.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ijgordon

I certainly can understand that frustration; who wants to hunt around for an available agent at NRT to get a BP if the inbound is delayed and the connection becomes tight?
It's been a few years since I've connected through there, but there's a connection desk for this exact purpose...that's hardly hunting around for a JL agent?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:52 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Have you tried asking AA to re-route you through HKG on CX?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
When I flew CGK-NRT/HDN-SFO on AA-marketed/JL-codeshare flights, my flight out of HND was just past midnight the next day and the agent in NRT (on my outbound legs) and the agent in CGK said they couldn't give me a boarding pass for HND-SFO because the flight wasn't the same day. I don't know your flight timings, but that may factor into it.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by hartlogan
When I flew CGK-NRT/HDN-SFO on AA-marketed/JL-codeshare flights, my flight out of HND was just past midnight the next day and the agent in NRT (on my outbound legs) and the agent in CGK said they couldn't give me a boarding pass for HND-SFO because the flight wasn't the same day. I don't know your flight timings, but that may factor into it.
Winner, winner! Chicken dinner! I think you may have found the answer.

IMO, the advice to request rerouting on an airline partner is a good one. ^
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Nothing but the stats:

4 calls to the EXP desk (1 asking how to get the connecting boarding pass, 3 requesting re-routing)

4 visits to the Flagship lounge counter (2 asking how to get the connecting boarding pass, 2 requesting re-routing from different staff)

3 attempts to get the connecting boarding pass online from the JAL site (1 by me, 2 by club staff on the English & Japanese language sites)

2 visits to the LAX club counter (both asking how to get the connecting boarding pass and then requesting re-routing)

1 visit to Gate 48B. (Agents tried checking me out then back in twice to see if that would allow printing the connecting boarding pass. No luck. Then they sent everyone back to the club)

1 call to JAL (asking how to get connecting boarding pass)

1 visit to customer service counter in T4 (asking how to get the connecting boarding pass and then requesting re-routing)

1 visit to TBIT before catching the hotel shuttle (No JAL staff on duty)

These stats do not include my wife’s efforts. (Also EXP)

"Ah! It's a codeshare. That adds a layer of complexity for some things." --- Not sure I’m clear what else this would be NRT-CGK.

“When I flew CGK-NRT/HDN-SFO on AA-marketed/JL-codeshare flights, my flight out of HND was just past midnight the next day and the agent in NRT (on my outbound legs) and the agent in CGK said they couldn't give me a connecting boarding pass for HND-SFO because the flight wasn't the same day. I don't know your flight timings, but that may factor into it.” --- Except that my wife and daughter were issued connecting boarding passes for the same flights.

Delay walked around the clock from 12:30p to 6:00a the next day and all points in between. Not much faith that this departure time will hold.

At the Crowne Plaza and on the phone with EXP desk. New itinerary is depart LAX 6:00a – arrive NRT 11:00a +1. Then a 6+ hour layover before NRT-CGK on AA 8499 at 6:00p.

A nap seems in order. And tomorrow, “Once more unto the breach, dear friends.”

It’s just one of those trips.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Do your wife and daughter both have the exact same itinerary as you? Not just the same routing/flights, but also the AA-marketed, JL-op'd flights?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
JL is very good knowing if you have been issued a connecting flight boarding pass.
They usually will have a new boarding pass for you at the end of the jet bridge When you deplane.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat
By the way this is a 15 hour delay. Longest delay I've ever seen - typically don't they just cancel??
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by JDiver
Ah! It's a codeshare. That adds a layer of complexity for some things.
On my last trip, AY in HEL issued HEL-LHR-DXB-LHR-PVG boarding passes no problem (AY-QF-QF-BA), even with a short checked bag to put in storage at LHR for a day.
Also had JL issue passes for ITM-HND-SIN-MEL-CBR (HND-SIN QF code/JL op) no problem.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno
On my last trip, AY in HEL issued HEL-LHR-DXB-LHR-PVG boarding passes no problem (AY-QF-QF-BA), even with a short checked bag to put in storage at LHR for a day.
Also had JL issue passes for ITM-HND-SIN-MEL-CBR (HND-SIN QF code/JL op) no problem.
Goodonya. I've been flying AA since the 1940s and a significant number of checkin issues have been from itineraries with a codeshare in them.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
I've been flying AA since the 1940s and a significant number of checkin issues have been from itineraries with a codeshare in them.
They had codeshares back in the 1940s? Who knew?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.