Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

The thread for factual information, asking questions and posting answers about the changes AA has announced (and will refine) for 2016 is here: Link

Please discuss, ponder, argue, praise or complain about these changes here.

Most members know how to do this, but we have had to delete some posts. This unfortunately makes it necessary to post the following:

Please remember the Rules require civility, refraining from ad hominem and attacks - these include accusations, disrespect toward US or AA members, over personalization, the use of offensive language, etc. For a review of the Rules we all agreed to abide by in return for membership privileges, please read here: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php.

Posts that do not conform to the Rules may be summarily deleted or edited; continued Rules violations may lead to suspension of membership privileges.

Thank you for your understanding. We may have originally sailed on different boats, but we are all rowing and bailing together here on this merged airline and dealing with some sea changes.

American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum moderation team

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 19, 2015 at 1:30 am
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by ashill
Have they rented a convention center and redone everything down to the signs for the bathrooms with AA branding for the announcement? And, unlike Apple, AA managed to keep the machinations of their preparations for this event (if not the substance of it) out of the press!
The MIA D30 club is buzzing, the lights are going down.....
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Partner airline award charts have the new EQM earnings.

BA ranges from 0.5 EQM/mile flown (H fares and below) to (only) 1.5 EQM/mile flown (all premium cabin fares, from discount premium economy to full F).

ETA: All discount economy fares on AS earn 0.5 EQM/mile flown. This includes many fare classes that currently earn 1.0 EQPs. For me, that's a big ouch.

Based on the information JonNYC provided about the AA earnings, which was (of course) spot on, I had no objection to the short notice, since it was an improvement in the elite qualifying process for all flyers. But the revisions to the partner EQM earning chart with about six weeks notice is not good pool.

Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Transcon Business: 32,500
Transcon First: 50,000

Ouch.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
J award changes aren't too bad, 57.5k to Europe and 60k/70k for Asia 1/2 seem fine.

110k for F to Asia 2 though...yuck.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:05 pm

not bad but partner airline, even in business, are only 1.5 EQM.

Shesh.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Yeah, F to Asia and SWP biggest increases for sure. Everything else seems palatable to me, IMO.
Can't disagree much. Happy I booked all of the F awards to those two areas that I did though, and looks like I should load up for one last round...

And they are cheaper than UA for USA-Europe partner awards in premium cabins by a good margin, which is a good sign.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashill
Partner airline award charts have the new EQM earnings.

BA ranges from 0.5 EQM/mile flown (H fares and below) to (only) 1.5 EQM/mile flown (all premium cabin fares, from discount premium economy to full F).

...But the revisions to the partner EQM earning chart with about six weeks notice is not good pool.
I agree-- I'm shocked by that (and the rate itself.) Very bad
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:11 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

The award chart devaluation could have been much worse, J levels look pretty solid all around ^
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
They should have thrown segment flyers a bone, with at least 1.5 segments for Y/B and above like UA and DL do.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
At first glance, it looks quite similar to the earning structure we had with the US Dividend Miles program.

Based on all the hype, I really was expecting something much more harsh.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Unfortunately, JonNYC seems to have seen the good side of these changes only. The drastic, short-notice cut to partner EQMs which makes partner EQM earning less than it is for EQPs this year is a heavy devaluation for me. The SWU earning cuts turn out to be about as bad as we could have imagined; there appears to now be a maximum of 8 SWUs, and only for 200k EQMs. The rise in the cost of stickers. The award chart.

Based on what JonNYC presented, I had no problem with the short notice, but this is a fair bit worse than he warned us about.

Although one positive change in the award chart: a new 7500 mile award for <500 mile nonstop flights. That is one of the old strengths of BA awards; good to see that option on AA. (Of course, BA's comparable award used to be 4500 points but is going up to 7500 points around the time of this change; in retrospect, that might have been a hint.)

Hawaii 5000 mile inter-island awards are gone, though the new 7500 mile <500 mile awards would apply (for nonstops).
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:17 pm

0.5 EQM for most AS fares and a cap of 1.5 BA EQM even on JBA routes are supremely disappointing to me. The BA decision especially. If they're interested in incentivizing us to buy-up to higher cabins, what's the sense in capping EQMs on revenue shared, métal-neutral services? Rubbish.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Deleted - late to the game.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
At first glance, it looks quite similar to the earning structure we had with the US Dividend Miles program.

Based on all the hype, I really was expecting something much more harsh.
Assume you are referring to qualifying criteria - not mileage earning?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.