Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Old May 24, 16, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242 View Post
It would indeed be nice if they announced a date, and if that date were reasonably far in advance. However, there's nothing "special" about Jan. 1 that would make that date any better than others. I'd much rather they announce now that (for instance) the change is happening Aug. 1, rather than announcing Dec. 15 that the change will happen Jan. 1.
My guess - and only a guess from my experience implementing programs that require back end programming - is as soon as the programming is locked down, and after July 1, it will be implemented.
Old May 24, 16, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by zoegksf View Post
To me, it doesn't make any sense to do it in Sept/Oct (from another thread) or this year at all. Start out next year so people have a whole year to meet spend.
Yeah. That part I didn't understand. Even DL and UA waited until the start of the year to switchover to the new RDM earning structure. DL giving almost one year's notice in doing so.
Old May 24, 16, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I cannot see how It makes any difference what date the airline uses ; 1 Jan is no better or worse than 1 August; simply on a specific date earning rates will change for redeemable miles
Old May 24, 16, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I cannot see how It makes any difference what date the airline uses ; 1 Jan is no better or worse than 1 August; simply on a specific date earning rates will change for redeemable miles
Yes. A start date is just that, a date. But I think it leads to less confusion by doing it at the start of the program year than in midstream. IIRC, Delta started the new RDM earnings on March 1st (so that it didn't affect the previous elite year which ended on February 28th back then). When they went to a minimum spend requirement for attaining elite status, they started that on January 1st. As that is when the elite qualification year begins.
Old May 24, 16, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Do you mean what are the odds that the changeover will be delayed until Jan 2017? (as opposed to original plan of "2nd half of 2016")
Yes sorry, I meant to ask "What are the odds that the spend-based RDM earning announced for H2 2016 will not actually change over until Jan 1 2017 or later?"
Old May 24, 16, 3:10 pm

I cannot see how the change would be any more or any less confusing just based on the date it is implemented

On day X , earning on AA will be 1 mile per mile flown plus possible bonuses
Ony day Y, earning will be $5/$7/$11 per dollar spent

It has no impact on earning of status, since this is still based on distance / class of service process that is already in place
Old May 24, 16, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I cannot see how the change would be any more or any less confusing just based on the date it is implemented

On day X , earning on AA will be 1 mile per mile flown plus possible bonuses
Ony day Y, earning will be $5/$7/$11 per dollar spent

It has no impact on earning of status, since this is still based on distance / class of service process that is already in place
+1

This is a good point... miles will flow into your account either way. On day X they came in because of this method. On day Y they came in because of another method.
Old May 24, 16, 8:25 pm

Programs: QF WP - AA GLD 1MM - CX Grn
Originally Posted by 110pgl View Post
+1

This is a good point... miles will flow into your account either way. On day X they came in because of this method. On day Y they came in because of another method.
However, for many people, the rates at which they flow under the two methods will be VERY different. Thus the angst which appears in this thread (and others). And there certainly appears to be confusion with respect to the differences in earning EQM (qualification) and earning RDM (awards).

Alas the OW partners' programs seem to have been (and continue to be) in transition as well.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old May 24, 16, 9:07 pm

Yes , the earning rates will change, but that again is something that will be equally bad or beneficial to people on whatever day it changes - 1 Jan is nothing special for this

If it was going to affect things like status qualification, I could see reasons for Jan 1 change, but redeemable miles are quite different to qualifying miles
Old May 24, 16, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott - Pl, Hilton- Silver
You could make the argument that when many of us qualified for status last year, it was based on the premise we'd earn 2x miles flown for the following year. Yes, I'm sure there was "subject to change" language in there, but it's still reducing expected benefits (for most). Technically status runs through Feb, but I'd settle for Jan 1st as a new year with new rules.

In general, the further out the better and the start of the new year is a clear delineation.
Old May 24, 16, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by fanger View Post
Yes sorry, I meant to ask "What are the odds that the spend-based RDM earning announced for H2 2016 will not actually change over until Jan 1 2017 or later?"
Slim to none. Rumor from marketing / and yes it is rumor -- so take it with a huge grain of salt -- is that the emails regarding the change to revenue $ per mile are starting to be versioned and will come out before after Memorial Day (don't have exact date --- just a range). It will include the conversion date and "program updates." Also, the famous October date we heard from Suzanne at the Miami event may not be the "newest implementation date." And lastly, I guess AA is starting to communicate internally what we already knew --- or suspected, that it is going to be a hard cutover on X date. Travel date and not when u bought ur tickets will determine whether u get miles based on distance or miles based on spend. Hopefully we start hearing more over the next 1-2 weeks more of what is in the email blast.
Old May 25, 16, 6:51 am

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier View Post
Slim to none. Rumor from marketing / and yes it is rumor -- so take it with a huge grain of salt -- is that the emails regarding the change to revenue $ per mile are starting to be versioned and will come out before after Memorial Day (don't have exact date --- just a range). It will include the conversion date and "program updates." Also, the famous October date we heard from Suzanne at the Miami event may not be the "newest implementation date." And lastly, I guess AA is starting to communicate internally what we already knew --- or suspected, that it is going to be a hard cutover on X date. Travel date and not when u bought ur tickets will determine whether u get miles based on distance or miles based on spend. Hopefully we start hearing more over the next 1-2 weeks more of what is in the email blast.
If this is true, my guess is Aug 1 or Sept 1 new implementation date. They both comply with a 2-month advance notice, and coincide with the end of the NAS16 promo and end of summer, respectively.
Old May 25, 16, 7:59 am

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
If there are also any announcements about PE, basic economy fares and change to upgradeability rules, expect a mad rush of people trying to book every available SWU to J out there, similar to what happened with award changes.
Old May 25, 16, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVPG 75K, B6 Mosaic, UA Silver, SPG P, Ritz P, HH G, Fairmont Pre, IHG P, Hyatt P
They need to announce a date and the complete details ASAP (I'm not confident what they have said so far is the whole story). I'm not flying them at all until they do. I was going to go ExPlat this year but not with this much up in the air. I decided to forgo AA and go for JetBlue Mosaic instead.
Old May 25, 16, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ENycSea View Post
I'm not flying them at all until they do.
You're refusing to fly AA until they lower their earnings rate?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: