Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by cmd320
I agree with you. I think anyone who believes AA isn't going to add some sort of spend qualification criteria is dreaming. In fact, I think it would be surprising if it didn't very closely or exactly mirror the DL and UA systems. It isn't a question of if, but rather when.
I also concur. One thing I will tell you about "Big Marketing" now its all based upon big data. If big data shows no adverse impact of going to a spend requirement for elite status (as UA, DL and WN have determined) to think Doug Parker and company will not do so for some kind of "kindness" aspect is strange thinking indeed.
Old May 23, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I also concur. One thing I will tell you about "Big Marketing" now its all based upon big data. If big data shows no adverse impact of going to a spend requirement for elite status (as UA, DL and WN have determined) to think Doug Parker and company will not do so for some kind of "kindness" aspect is strange thinking indeed.
Actually, WN doesn't have a spend requirement. One can fly 50 OW segments at the cheapest fare available, and they will attain the top elite status. I think I'd rather have AA adopt a 50% EQM earning for the cheapest fares (similar to the former EQP model) instead of having minimum spend requirements for each elite level. It would make it easier with regards to partner flights.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Actually, WN doesn't have a spend requirement. One can fly 50 OW segments at the cheapest fare available, and they will attain the top elite status. I think I'd rather have AA adopt a 50% EQM earning for the cheapest fares (similar to the former EQP model) instead of having minimum spend requirements for each elite level. It would make it easier with regards to partner flights.
After June it won't make a difference as we will be earning pennies for flights except of course for anyone without common sense wanting to give AA $10K per ticket.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly747first
After June it won't make a difference...
No, nothing's changing that soon.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
No, nothing's changing that soon.
Any idea when this change will come into effect? Would flying late July/early August still fall under the old rules based upon what you're contacts tell you?
Old May 23, 2016, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Any idea when this change will come into effect? Would flying late July/early August still fall under the old rules based upon what you're contacts tell you?
Definitely.
Old May 24, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: QF CX
Relocating to the NYC - worth keeping my DM with CX and just use OWE when flying AA switch to AA (assuming they will match).
Assuming being EXP you will get better treatment than just a OWE...
3-4 Domestic trip per month, 6 flights a year to Aus (perhaps 2 or 3 of those via HK). All Y class, so seat availability and upgrades etc are important.
Could go back to QF (most flight to Aus and service MEL/BNE as weel) but when I was PL I didn't feel that I got treat THAT much better service than a OW Emerald, unlike CX where DM's get treated MUCH better than OWE (OP ups, seat availability etc).
Would AA fir best, even if it means flying QF/CX time to time?
How to compare to DL or UA?
is this even the right thread to ask this?
Old May 24, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Definitely.
What are the odds that the spend-based earning will end up coming into effect Jan 1 2017 or later?
Old May 24, 2016, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by fanger
What are the odds that the spend-based earning will end up coming into effect Jan 1 2017 or later?
100%.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fanger
Do you mean what are the odds that the changeover will be delayed until Jan 2017? (as opposed to original plan of "2nd half of 2016")
Old May 24, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Do you mean what are the odds that the changeover will be delayed until Jan 2017? (as opposed to original plan of "2nd half of 2016")
To me, it doesn't make any sense to do it in Sept/Oct (from another thread) or this year at all. Start out next year so people have a whole year to meet spend.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:00 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
We seem to have separate conversations intertwined here:

• Spend-based earning of RDM - announced already for "second half of 2016"
  • Spend-based earning of EQM - not really much discussion about this, just
    some confusion, it appears
  • Spend levels as minimum for status levels - not announced at all, but under discussion and speculation.

A bunch of posts seem to be mixing these things up.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; May 24, 2016 at 11:57 am
Old May 24, 2016, 11:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zoegksf
To me, it doesn't make any sense to do it in Sept/Oct (from another thread) or this year at all. Start out next year so people have a whole year to meet spend.
There's no "meet[ing] the spend" in this context, as BRP points out. My posts were pertaining, specifically, to coming-- already announced-- RDM changes.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
There's no "meet[ing] the spend" in this context, as BRP points out. My posts were pertaining, specifically, to coming-- already announced-- RDM changes.
I understand that. I am simply saying it would make a lot of sense to me to just start all of it on January 1, 2017 to avoid confusion. But I am a layperson by all means. I have tried to explain this to many acquaintances and they usually can't seem to wrap their heads around it.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by zoegksf
I understand that. I am simply saying it would make a lot of sense to me to just start all of it on January 1, 2017 to avoid confusion.
It would indeed be nice if they announced a date, and if that date were reasonably far in advance. However, there's nothing "special" about Jan. 1 that would make that date any better than others. I'd much rather they announce now that (for instance) the change is happening Aug. 1, rather than announcing Dec. 15 that the change will happen Jan. 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.