Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Old May 23, 16, 12:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
But that's your subjective assessment. And it's not just SWUs. It's extra baggage allowance, F checkin desks (with shorter lines), early boarding, free and unlimited space available domestic upgrades, free mileage redeposit, etc., etc., etc. While many of the benefits may not have value to you, they do to others.
You really think AA is stupid and would give out perks that would exceed the value of spending an EXP pax has contributed? Most of these perks have very little cost to AA, and most of these perks can already be obtained through the purchase of F/J tickets.

Full disclosure, yes, most of these values would have a lot of value to me, but still, I don't want my spend to be highlighted to me. That's essentially telling me I just spent $12K to obtain perks worth about a small fraction of that amount.
Old May 23, 16, 12:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are travelling anyway, what does it matter if it tells you that for spending <insert value here> that you are now entitled to certain benefits

It is not as if people are buying tickets for the sake of it, but in order to travel
Old May 23, 16, 5:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jacobin777 View Post
There is nothing to "roll eyes" about. I never stated its happening only that it might potentially happen. What's so hard to understand?
I am not going to engage in a protracted he said / she said. But there is no reason to raise the unsubstantiated spectre of dollar based elite quals at every opportunity, as some on this board seem wont to do. There's no real indication that AA is going that way, and the Parker/Kirby is ruining "my" airline schtick is getting old.
Old May 23, 16, 6:54 am
Suspended

There is nothing to "roll eyes" about. I never stated its happening only that it might potentially happen. What's so hard to understand?
There's everything to roll eyes about if you go back and read your post that started this all.
Old May 23, 16, 8:20 am

It would be naive to think AA has not seriously contemplated a dollar requirement for elite status. Two of the legacy three are doing it. AA could promote this as a huge benefit to the AA program over UA/DL, but as not.

Will AA go to a revenue based system? IMHO - yes. And it will start in 2017 for 2018 or 2018 for 2019. I have no inside information, just looking at the market.

It was 'unsubstantiated' that AA was going to devalue their miles, until they did.

(And for those that will deride/disagree with my opinion... play nice. )
Old May 23, 16, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm, TP Gold *G
Originally Posted by 110pgl View Post
Will AA go to a revenue based system? IMHO - yes. And it will start in 2017 for 2018 or 2018 for 2019. I have no inside information, just looking at the market.
Seems like a pretty safe bet. After all, what original ideas does this management group have? And doing something to differentiate themselves from the others? LOL.
Old May 23, 16, 8:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
But first they're flirting with lapsed elites and those who came close from 2015 with a targeted match with a challenge to retain status:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ay-2016-a.html.
Old May 23, 16, 8:50 am

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 110pgl View Post
It would be naive to think AA has not seriously contemplated a dollar requirement for elite status. Two of the legacy three are doing it. AA could promote this as a huge benefit to the AA program over UA/DL, but as not.

It was 'unsubstantiated' that AA was going to devalue their miles, until they did.

(And for those that will deride/disagree with my opinion... play nice. )
I agree with you. I think anyone who believes AA isn't going to add some sort of spend qualification criteria is dreaming. In fact, I think it would be surprising if it didn't very closely or exactly mirror the DL and UA systems. It isn't a question of if, but rather when.
Old May 23, 16, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum/LT Gold(1.3MM current method/1.51MM old method)/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by bse118 View Post
I am not going to engage in a protracted he said / she said. But there is no reason to raise the unsubstantiated spectre of dollar based elite quals at every opportunity, as some on this board seem wont to do. There's no real indication that AA is going that way, and the Parker/Kirby is ruining "my" airline schtick is getting old.
I believe I have the right to criticize about what's happening to the AAdvantage program, after all this thread is about " AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL".

Without being tautological, I've stated ad nauseam that while AA doesn't have PQD program in place right now IMO they eventually will in the future. The concept of AA eventually implementing a PQD system isn't too far fetched so I'm not so sure what's so hard to understand.

Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
There's everything to roll eyes about if you go back and read your post that started this all.
Old May 23, 16, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
The concept of AA eventually implementing a PQD system isn't too far fetched so I'm not so sure what's so hard to understand.
I can state with 100% certainty that AA will never implement a PQD system.*

* If implemented, it would be called "EQD" or something else that's consistent with AAdvantage branding.
Old May 23, 16, 11:56 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012 View Post
Loyalty is not about rewarding spend, loyalty is all about getting the customer to keep coming back. The goal of a loyalty program is to generate repeat business, regardless of what kind of business it is. If I'm a great customer and you want me to keep coming back, it's incredibly tacky to keep highlighting to me how much money is leaving my wallet.

A reward program is meant to reward spend. It's perfectly fine to tie rewards to dollars spent with some bonuses courtesy of the loyalty side.
Being loyal and wanting the customer to come back are two different things. A business wants you to keep coming back if you are at least revenue neutral and preferably profitable. And, yes, that tends to be measured based on money leaving your wallet. If you're not spending enough why would they want your loyalty? If your negative dollar value can be balanced by influencer status, then you may get a Concierge Key invite. If not, you just one more DYKWITIA.
Old May 23, 16, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
One year I spent about $6k requalifying for EXP--all just for kicks, wasn't flying for business or anything. The way I see it, that year AA got a pretty good deal in earning $6k from someone who could have spent it on literally anything else.
Old May 23, 16, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/LT Gold(1.3MM current method/1.51MM old method)/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by rjw242 View Post
I can state with 100% certainty that AA will never implement a PQD system.*

* If implemented, it would be called "EQD" or something else that's consistent with AAdvantage branding.
Whatever it potentially will be called (if it ever happens) is irrelevant.
Old May 23, 16, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
Seems like a pretty safe bet. After all, what original ideas does this management group have? And doing something to differentiate themselves from the others? LOL.
Weren't they the ones who first announced an intl premium economy cabin of the Big 3? Aren't they the only ones who announced the upcoming allowance of intl J passengers access to the first class lounges?
Old May 23, 16, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by havoc29 View Post
One year I spent about $6k requalifying for EXP--all just for kicks, wasn't flying for business or anything. The way I see it, that year AA got a pretty good deal in earning $6k from someone who could have spent it on literally anything else.
But you didn't give AA $6K for nothing. They transported you to several destinations. And with added perks not given to just anyone who booked the same tickets.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: