Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Old May 20, 16, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
And this is one of the reasons why AA is changing the program.
And understandably so. AA is running a business. While I'm entitled to try to optimize my relationship with AA for my benefit, it is entitled to do the same for its benefit.

Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
If someone is becoming "unchained" from the FFer trap, and is shopping based solely on price, then such an action definitely benefits the passenger. If said passenger is shopping around on price and is still looking to snag a free F award to Asia, I don't see this working. In fact, it would seem much harder to achieve any type of free award this way, than by only sticking with one FFer program.
Correct. I need to be loyal to one program to get what I want. For me, it's going to be QR PC, as that seems to optimize all of the factors for me. And USD $3K roundtrips in J between SEAsia and BOS (including positioning), not to mention what IMO is a clearly and far superior J class, isn't hurting QR's cause any.
Old May 20, 16, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

sounds like you have done well - get a programme that works for you and a much superior product to travel on; perhaps this change was a good thing for you to encourage checking other products

If you are doing 4 trips a year in business class between BOS and BKK, will nicely get Platinum status it seems

I would suggest checking the partner earning before switching tbh. for US-Asia the redemption costs are 36% higher on QR than AA ; may be that that even if there is a lower earning for QR when the earning rates change, may still be better off or no worse of staying with AA

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 20, 16 at 8:50 pm
Old May 21, 16, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I would suggest checking the partner earning before switching tbh. for US-Asia the redemption costs are 36% higher on QR than AA; may be that that even if there is a lower earning for QR when the earning rates change, may still be better off or no worse of staying with AA
Not really. QR has no F service to North America; and the F service it has is being phased out. Comparing J cabins, IMO QR has it all over CX.

A J award ticket is 95K QR miles on QR metal, and 70K AA miles on CX metal. Given that I'm accumulating QR miles at a much faster clip and that I believe that QR J class is far above CX, the decision was easy.
Old May 21, 16, 11:24 am

if the earnings are that much better, then cool , nice find and sounds like a good win

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 21, 16 at 11:33 am
Old May 21, 16, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by akcae View Post
The point that Gary Leff has been making, and I agree with, is that the airlines are slowly killing the golden goose of FFPs by turning them into rebate programs based solely on revenue. They're rewarding most the most price insensitive customers (i.e., those paying most $$), and rewarding least those most price sensitive, which is the exact opposite of what FFPs are designed to do. FFPs, by offering aspirational awards, have turned something that is a commodity, a seat on a plane, into something people feel brand-loyal to. They're undoing this process now and killing any sense of loyalty people have towards them. It may work for now, but it is their undoing in the long run. The FFPs have for a long time been the most profitable line of business within the airlines, and there's a reason for it.
What is happening is that the airlines are slowly splitting their programs into two distinct components: Rewards and Loyalty. For the rewards portion of it, the tying of points to spend is exactly what a rewards program is.

For the loyalty portion, you want people to keep coming back for perks, and the last thing you want to do when rewarding loyalty is to highlight how much folks are spending in exchange for the little perks they get. Of course, when someone spends an outrageously large amount of money, you reward them in a different way and express lane them to elite status, but normally, when awarding elite status, you want to de-emphasize how much they are spending and emphasize other activities, hence being distance and segment based with bonuses for premium cabin flights.
Old May 22, 16, 3:37 am

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Sorry if this has been covered before but the way AA.com is set up makes this a bit confusing. I am looking to go do LAX-HKG-BKK in paid J booked through American. I have been using Google flights and when I put into aa.com to book there is a not some flights may not be eligible for miles and the CX HKG-BKK flights show up with just OW logo in the final confirmation before booking. As they are being booked into I inventory through AA would they still accrue 1.5x EQMS or nothing? Any guidance here is appreciated - will really help with me routing!
Old May 22, 16, 3:41 am

If you go to https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/m...r-airlines.jsp , you can go down in to any airline in the itinerary and see eligible booking classes and what they earn

I class on Cathay Pacific will earn 1.5 qualifying miles per mile flown
Old May 22, 16, 9:03 am

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
Honestly the more I understand the new way I am not as upset as I previously was. Yeah I will lose out on RDM however I originally thought it also changed the way EQM's were awarded. Now learning it is just the RDMs I am not that upset. Although it sucks I understand the reasoning behind it.
Old May 22, 16, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/LT Gold(1.3MM current method/1.51MM old method)/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by conklaven View Post
Honestly the more I understand the new way I am not as upset as I previously was. Yeah I will lose out on RDM however I originally thought it also changed the way EQM's were awarded. Now learning it is just the RDMs I am not that upset. Although it sucks I understand the reasoning behind it.
Its not just the RDM's however. There can potentially be other changes as well such as have a PQD like UA has or even such as this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-routes-2.html

AA has been profitable even while being "generous" with their FF program/FF base. While AA is a business and needs to be profitable, IMHO Parker & Kirby now are starting to "penny pinch".
Old May 22, 16, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jacobin777 View Post
Its not just the RDM's however. There can potentially be other changes as well such as have a PQD like UA has or even such as this:

AA has been profitable even while being "generous" with their FF program/FF base. While AA is a business and needs to be profitable, IMHO Parker & Kirby now are starting to "penny pinch".
Oh no-- not "penny pinching"
Old May 22, 16, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT

Yikes... and back to being scared...
Old May 22, 16, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Its not just the RDM's however. There can potentially be other changes as well such as have a PQD like UA has...

At this point, there's nothing but idle speculation and fear about EQMs at AA going to a dollar-based model. Honestly...

Last edited by bse118; May 22, 16 at 8:38 pm Reason: typo
Old May 22, 16, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bse118 View Post

At this point, there's nothing but idle speculation and fear about EQMs at AA going to a dollar-based model. Honestly...
When giving out elite perks, it's not wise to be highlighting to the customer how much they're spending relative to the few perks they're getting. What are EXP perks? Let's say you need $12K to play, would you be willing to pay $12K for all of that? And how many of those perks would you actually use? The 4 SWUs that EXP gets, if I was told to get those, I'd have to pay $12K to play, now how am I going to feel? Even if I do consistently pay the $12K, do I need to have my spend be constantly highlighted to me???

Loyalty is not about rewarding spend, loyalty is all about getting the customer to keep coming back. The goal of a loyalty program is to generate repeat business, regardless of what kind of business it is. If I'm a great customer and you want me to keep coming back, it's incredibly tacky to keep highlighting to me how much money is leaving my wallet.

A reward program is meant to reward spend. It's perfectly fine to tie rewards to dollars spent with some bonuses courtesy of the loyalty side.

Put the two programs together in tandem, and you've got a great Loyalty + Rewards program. Some carriers even choose to separate the two, such as BA and CX.

Now, if someone is buying $30K intl F tickets, or is an exceptionally HVC, then AA can express-lane the pax to EXP status via Concierge Key.
Old May 22, 16, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012 View Post
When giving out elite perks, it's not wise to be highlighting to the customer how much they're spending relative to the few perks they're getting.
But that's your subjective assessment. And it's not just SWUs. It's extra baggage allowance, F checkin desks (with shorter lines), early boarding, free and unlimited space available domestic upgrades, free mileage redeposit, etc., etc., etc. While many of the benefits may not have value to you, they do to others.
Old May 23, 16, 12:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum/LT Gold(1.3MM current method/1.51MM old method)/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Oh no-- not "penny pinching"
I'm not so sure by what you mean, are you being sardonic?

Originally Posted by conklaven View Post
Yikes... and back to being scared...
I'm not so sure by what you mean?

Originally Posted by bse118 View Post

There is nothing to "roll eyes" about. I never stated its happening only that it might potentially happen. What's so hard to understand?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: