Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 110pgl
That sounds familiar.
In what way in particular? (I'm probably missing something obvious!)
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by nk15
Do we have any news regarding when exactly the new RDM scheme will take effect in the second half of the year? Do we even know when they will announce this? Geez...
Can be as early as July 1, 2016.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:44 am
Suspended

Lightbulb "Can we count on your vote? "

Like everyone else, I'm sure, got the email just now from AAdv asking to vote for them in the Freddies, asking:

Can we count on your vote?"
NO YOU CANNOT.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Austin787
Can be as early as July 1, 2016.
Yes, I know, but I don't know what to do for the time between July 1 until the end of the year. If it takes effect July 1, I will not book anything on AA after that (until after Jan 1 for the new requalification year). If it takes effect later in the year, I will continue booking to take advantage of the high RDMs. If they have any business sense they will delay starting the new RDM scheme so it won't affect their summer/fall bookings.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
The longer it takes, the greater the likelihood it will actually turn out to be Jan 1, 2017.
That will be nice.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the meantime, this uncertainty about the new date of the new RDM scheme could hurt AA bookings for the second half. I think it may have actually helped their bookings in the first half (as some people may have tilted their discretionary bookings towards the first half, to get the full rdms), but at this point or pretty soon it could start affecting second half of the year bookings. I have personally skipped a couple of Summer/Fall discretionary bookings because of the uncertainty. I know that there are not that many of us that book way in advance or use RDM criteria for their bookings, but this issue will soon become more and more relevant, as the year progresses.

My guess is that they purposefully delay announcing the exact date, until they have a better picture of their bookings for summer/fall.

We don't even know yet how RDMs will be calculated on partner flights either, correct?

Last edited by nk15; Mar 4, 2016 at 11:20 am
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
In what way in particular? (I'm probably missing something obvious!)
You had commented on another thread that you expect it to be winter. I had said - while not doubting your info - January made more sense for AA.

Just a light hearted reference to the comments on the other thread.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by 869
Oh man - this made my day! About freaking time JonNYC delivered a shred of good news related to this AA disaster. Now I'm feeling like March is gonna be a good month! ^
You like good news, do you? We're good if we don't follow Delta's lead. Gary Leff's current article:

We want people to be able to use those miles not to fly for free but to control your experience,” says Glen Hauenstein, Delta’s incoming president and architect of the airline’s revenue plans.
E.g. "Delta has indeed started selling premium alcohol in their lounges, and you can pay with points instead of cash. Your miles are worth a penny apiece." (But can you tip in Delta SkyZimDollars, and not be poisoned? )

Off topic? Not so much, if Parker-Kirby like Delta's new direction.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
Off topic? Not so much, if Parker-Kirby like Delta's new direction.
Well, but you have to admit, by -that- standard, nothing is off-topic.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I believe that the major FF programs will undergo significant transformation over the next few years effectively putting a nail in the coffin of the programs as they were originally designed and modified over the subsequent couple of decades. Upper end elite benefits will only be bestowed on the truly high spend while the ability to earn RDMs (at least from flying activity) will be again rewarded most lucratively on the high end. Parker and other major CEOs know that changes will need to be incremental and spread out over time but eventually get to where they (and more so Wall Street) want them to be.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: Alaska FF
Originally Posted by nk15
In the meantime, this uncertainty about the new date of the new RDM scheme could hurt AA bookings for the second half. I think it may have actually helped their bookings in the first half (as some people may have tilted their discretionary bookings towards the first half, to get the full rdms), but at this point or pretty soon it could start affecting second half of the year bookings. [...]

My guess is that they purposefully delay announcing the exact date, until they have a better picture of their bookings for summer/fall.
I doubt the customers AA wants to reward and incentivize with the new scheme care about the implementation date.

Until then AA continues to give generous bonuses for J/F fares. For those customers, that is incentive enough to keep booking, at least until some of them qualify for EXP. (Everyone else in the new airline world order is interchangeable.)

...When EXP can still be had for $700 in spend, the changes cannot come soon enough.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I believe that the major FF programs will undergo significant transformation over the next few years effectively putting a nail in the coffin of the programs as they were originally designed and modified over the subsequent couple of decades. Upper end elite benefits will only be bestowed on the truly high spend while the ability to earn RDMs (at least from flying activity) will be again rewarded most lucratively on the high end. Parker and other major CEOs know that changes will need to be incremental and spread out over time but eventually get to where they (and more so Wall Street) want them to be.
That boat already set sail my friend.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by BThumme
That boat already set sail my friend.
Sailed and navigating the Bungo Straits. A lot of torpedoes in those waters!
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
Wow.. i just read about the RDM changes and I am so shocked... Please let me know if I am reading this right.

I have Platinum so I get 8 miles/Dollar spent.

That means my ticket that I bought for the end of the year TLV-LHR-CLT-MEM-PHL-MAD-TLV which only costs $607 ($760-$155 in taxes) will net only 4856 RDMs?

This same flight previously got me 27000 (13500+100% platinum bonus) miles. That's crazy.

Is this a correct assumption?

Also what happens to tickets bought through one world partners but AA freq flier number put in? Like BA?

Last edited by conklaven; Mar 17, 2016 at 1:07 pm
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by conklaven
Wow.. i just read about the RDM changes and I am so shocked... Please let me know if I am reading this right.

I have Platinum so I get 8 miles/Dollar spent.

That means my ticket that I bought for the end of the year TLV-LHR-CLT-MEM-PHL-MAD-TLV which only costs $607 ($760-$155 in taxes) will net only 4856 RDMs?

This same flight previously got me 27000 (13500+100% platinum bonus) miles. That's crazy.

Is this a correct assumption?

Also what happens to tickets bought through one world partners but AA freq flier number put in? Like BA?
That's correct, but, the new earnings might not go into effect until Jan 1 (or later) - no one knows yet. For partner earnings, AA hasn't said anything yet on new earnings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.