Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPLT
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Yep! Will be fixed retroactively (over time) and prospectively.
Awesome, this will be the difference in another set of stickers for me.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Maybe though you could just let your priorities be your's and let others have their own, without rating and assessing same.
I'm on record as comfortable with my comment (twice now actually). I'm also comfortable that others don't agree. If it's inappropriate I have no doubt a moderator will remove, otherwise we can agree to disagree and move on, yes?

Regards
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by scubadu
I'm on record as comfortable with my comment (twice now actually). I'm also comfortable that others don't agree. If it's inappropriate I have no doubt a moderator will remove, otherwise we can agree to disagree and move on, yes?

Regards
You are the one making the big fuss about it.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by T. Sanderson
Awesome, this will be the difference in another set of stickers for me.
As a side note, wasn't the 12,500 EQM threshold for earning stickers supposed to occur March 1? I was thinking it was 10k per 4 up until then.

Just wondering as my next threshold was already showing as 12.5k miles, despite being February.

I'd still have come up a few hundred EQMs short even with the glitch being fixed so it's not a big deal. I'm just curious had I found myself in that situation.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superguy
Great news! Glad it's just glitched.

Will affected flights already flown be fixed?
Meant to add that some odd numbers/accounting might show up for the retroactive adjustments for several weeks, but they seem quite intent of getting all members all the EQM due.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hkhan92
as many of you guys know, the AAdvantageMAAsacre is set to happen on march 22. earning and burning miles just wont be the same anymore. I recently got into the game, my first flight towards my goal(which was status for life on american- ie 2m miles) was june 18,2015 and i can proudly say, I have 170k+ lifetime miles since that date.

i have been looking endlessly for a new program to join that is even half as good as the old AAdvantage program.

What are my fellow frequent flyer flyertalkers doing to still stay in the game? Everywhere I look I see either revenue based mileage accural or percentage based on fare based mileage accural.

I may be exaggerating a little when i say its gotten me into depression, but its true to an extent. Now that these rules have changed I dont know what Im going to do with my life. There was nothing more passionate I was into than earning and burning these miles, even though ive just been at it for a few months.
People will adjust. On my end, I plan on getting a status match with AS in November and continue flying AS as long as they have a lucrative program. Another change I have already made is which credit card I spend my money on.

AS always had a top notch program. I am also waiting for a broader rollout of their MQM and a credit card that would allow you to earn status miles. Given that AS management is at the top of their game, I won't be surprised to see BAC introduce a new card with extra perks.

Spending on AA cards (Barclays and Citi) is down significantly and will be down to $0 starting next year and will move to hotel cards -- two Fairmont cards, Citi Hilton Reserve, and Ritz. I am also putting more spending on MR, UR and TYP cards.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:21 am

Just to flag, it seems some AA agents are still confused about the significance of the March 22 date. I just got off the phone to one who insisted that it is the date of flying that determines the award cost, not the date of booking. I challenged that, she left me on hold for a good 5 minutes to speak to her supervisor and came back to confirm her view. I'd like to think it was just a misunderstanding of what I was asking.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by warberry
Just to flag, it seems some AA agents are still confused about the significance of the March 22 date. I just got off the phone to one who insisted that it is the date of flying that determines the award cost, not the date of booking. I challenged that, she left me on hold for a good 5 minutes to speak to her supervisor and came back to confirm her view. I'd like to think it was just a misunderstanding of what I was asking.
Agent was incorrect.

As always, better to just HUCA than argue.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by warberry
Sometimes they seem to "give the phone a rest" whilst claiming to be taking a question upstairs. This is definitely an incorrect answer, and cause to call once more, or merely to book if bookable online.

The new customer service - AA, please fix this!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 4:15 pm

To be fair, as I've made about half a dozen calls to them in the last week, I must say that mostly my experience has been better than when I was first wrestling with the "system" a couple of years ago. Zero to 1 minute wait time, agents with a sense of humour and with time for me to explain context when I was asking difficult questions. Not sure how many people are working there but 3 of my 6 calls went to "Gabriel", who was great.

Do calls to the UK 0207 660 2300 number, option 3, get patched through to US customer services ?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:48 am

Hi, I am new to the forum, but have been flying AA Platinum for a few years. I make platinum with EQM, and use miles primarily for business-class upgrades to Japan or Hong Kong using miles+copay (Upgrade Awards). If it looks like I will make Plat for the year, then I will redeem miles to get first class tickets on Cathay (usually one way, and pay for coach class the other way).

I searched this thread regarding any changes to the Upgrade Awards (miles+copay) but didn't come across anything, and AA.com doesn't seem to have any info. I guess they're not changing this as part of the overhaul? I hope they keep it the way it is.

RDM looks like it will be much harder to earn on the spend-based system. At the same time, redeeming miles for flights like first class to Asia on CX are much more expensive now. So yeah, this kinda sucks.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:57 am

Deleted

Last edited by grlmopz; Mar 4, 2016 at 8:00 am Reason: Deleted
Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Do we have any news regarding when exactly the new RDM scheme will take effect in the second half of the year? Do we even know when they will announce this? Geez...
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nk15
Do we have any news regarding when exactly the new RDM scheme will take effect in the second half of the year? Do we even know when they will announce this? Geez...
The longer it takes, the greater the likelihood it will actually turn out to be Jan 1, 2017.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:23 am

The longer it takes, the greater the likelihood it will actually turn out to be Jan 1, 2017.
That sounds familiar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.