Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by wdchuck1
Once you read the entire program, this is actually great for ExPlats and anyone else who is willing to pay for a ticket in the cabin that they want to fly in.

By replacing EQP with EQM you can get to EXP with 50K paid miles instead of appx $66.5 and it will offset the drop in SWU's from 8 to 4.

Now, once the $ based mileage earning scheme goes into effect and you combine it with this year's bonus program for paying for business or first (that has been extended through 2016), the benefits are HUGE - they far, far outweigh any added miles for some routes.

Not bad- now let them work on their customer service issues and they may have a very competitive airline.
Ok. Help explain this to me. Why would someone that always buys first class tickets care about obtaining executive platinum.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by wdchuck1
Once you read the entire program, this is actually great for ExPlats and anyone else who is willing to pay for a ticket in the cabin that they want to fly in.

By replacing EQP with EQM you can get to EXP with 50K paid miles instead of appx $66.5 and it will offset the drop in SWU's from 8 to 4.

Now, once the $ based mileage earning scheme goes into effect and you combine it with this year's bonus program for paying for business or first (that has been extended through 2016), the benefits are HUGE - they far, far outweigh any added miles for some routes.
Not bad- now let them work on their customer service issues and they may have a very competitive airline.
Agree, paid J at now 2 X EQM in 2016 makes qualifying that much easier. 3 trips to HKG and can be EXP. Not bothered about the SWU thing, won't fly unless confirmed at ticketing, and how often can you ever get that to happen? :-/
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Yes. AA just devalued the Citi cards. Citi must be thrilled.
How did AA de-value the Citi cards? I must be missing something because it looks the same to me.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Juanefny
Ok. Help explain this to me. Why would someone that always buys first class tickets care about obtaining executive platinum.
Really, so true.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
How did AA de-value the Citi cards? I must be missing something because it looks the same to me.
Increase in miles required for redemptions --> each mile is worth less than before. Unless Citi were to start awarding 1.5x miles per dollar as the new base rate, but that has a roughly 0% chance of happening.

... and why on earth would they be flying AA?

Because the miles that I earn by using my Citi card have significantly less value now. Given the fact that these cards have an AF and the benes are tied to one airline only, I'm much better off canceling the ones that are tied to AA.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
They are now paying out miles that for many award tickets will soon be worth less. Let's put it this way: an AA mile 3/21/16 will be worth more than one 3/22/16. At best, one can hope availability improves 3/22/16 and later.

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by badjuju
Time to check out Virgin.
If you wanna check out VX, B6, WN, go ahead... I happen to be looking more into B6 myself (the changes in the BA and IB earning rates are the bigger kicker for me), BUT, with that said, I really don't think the sky is falling with these changes... they were pretty much expected, be happy AA isn't adding a minimum spend requirement for status, and the devaluations are fairly reasonable... These changes are DL's fault, and DL and UA are still worse than AA. Truth be told, after challenging over from being DL GM I'm pretty happy with my experience with AA. I may go for B6 Mosaic instead of AA Plat because my flying patters would have put me flying PHL to TLV and MIA to LHR a lot and those routes either no longer exist or got really cut with AA now, BUT as far as the 2016 changes overall, they're not so bad.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Were you somehow expecting that airlines and hotel programs would stop devaluing programs the same way they've been doing for over 20 years? (This is one in a LONG SERIES of AA devaluations, all the way from the 1980's.)

This isn't like having Krugerrands, currency or owning shares of Apple. You're accumulating things that historically have been devalued consistently. So why on earth aren't you burning for something?
The frequency, scope and scale of the devaluations has not been consistent over time. It's gotten worse, but more so and more frequently when US market conditions changed and we ended up with the market being well-defined by an industry where three cartel kingpins (DL, UA, AA) run the show in far more concentrated ways than ever before.

I still have a large six figure balance of AA miles even as I wasn't clueless about where this was going. I still have time to burn my AA miles, but this is increasingly reminding me of what I had to do with Hilton HHonors and later with DL.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Executive Club
For one, IRROPS phone service. If he's actually JFK based as his profile says, it's a big deal. Can be the diff between being rebooked ahead of the snow or a week and a half later.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Possibly for personal travel? Employer-paid J/F tickets gets the status, and then able to use SWUs to fly the family on vacation for cheap? And the little extras like first lounges when flying J. And better service during IRROPs and the like, although that might be a bit of a canard.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Increase in miles required for redemptions --> each mile is worth less than before.
Originally Posted by lobo411
Because the miles that I earn by using my Citi card have significantly less value now.
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
They are now paying out miles that for many award tickets will soon be worth less. Let's put it this way: an AA mile 3/21/16 will be worth more than one 3/22/16. At best, one can hope availability improves 3/22/16 and later.
OK. Got it. I thought maybe one of the Citi-specific benefits (like EQMs or 2 RDM/$ on AA purchases, etc) had been reduced or eliminated. Thanks for the quick responses.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by Mlle_Mustard
Possibly for personal travel? Employer-paid J/F tickets gets the status, and then able to use SWUs to fly the family on vacation for cheap? And the little extras like first lounges when flying J. And better service during IRROPs and the like, although that might be a bit of a canard.
If irrops and swus are the main thing keeping them with AA, I'd say that with today's announcement, dl diamond is far superior than exp...
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat, >2MM), United (Gold, >1 MM), HH (Diamond), SPG (Gold), Accorhotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by bse118
So:

1) SWU changes truly suck, and much worse than expected.

2) pretty brutal for EQMs if you are a discount Y flyer on partners.

Still a better program, IMO, than DL or UA, because no minimum spend. But only barely.
The minimum spend will come later. AAdvantage has joined the race to the bottom. I think that I will get my flying done by the first half of the year, before the new milage rules come into play since I buy the cheapest tickets I can to stretch the travel budget.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.